Tab Collars: Do You Own Any?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quirk, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

I don't see tab collars much these days, but I've noticed in recent days that they seem to be a favorite of a certain ex-Governor. [​IMG]

2. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I don't see tab collars much these days, but I've noticed in recent days that they seem to be a favorite of a certain ex-Governor.
    [​IMG]

Hey! He isn't the ex-governor yet! Give it at least another 10-15 minutes!!!

3. Cordovan

Cordovan Senior member

Rumsfeld would wear them too if you recall. Another option is to wear a collar bar under your tie with a straight collar, effectively making it into a tab collar.

Cordovan

4. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Do you think they had them made? I suppose Spitzer's gangly enough (and wealthy enough) that he might wear bespoke from head to toe. I can't remember seeing them for sale in the longest while, but maybe they usually just don't register with me.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like and own tab collar shirts.

But, more importantly, re: Spitzer, that is a textbook example of the politician's repp. Study it. Learn it. Know it.

6. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

I am glad that Spitzer's replacement is legally blind, or I would not be able to forgive the fact that he wears Windsor knots with button-down collars.

7. dba

dba Senior member

I saw J.Crew was pushing the tab collar on their website. I remember seeing someone else advertising tab collar shirts as well. Maybe it's poised for a comeback. I was never a fan.

8. greg_atlanta

greg_atlanta Senior member

It's an early 90s look. It works OK with a medium width tie and a tight knot.

9. dba

dba Senior member

BTW, did anyone else notice the eerie similarity in appearance between his wife and his lady of the night (minus the wrinkles)?

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

tab collars.... I heard that's what the ladies who go to the Mayflower Hotel like.

11. Crowlin

Crowlin Member

It's an early 90s look.
    True, it is a more early-90s look. It is also an American phenomena: I can not recall ever seeing them elsewhere. I know I have never seen them here in the UK, or in Italy.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

True, it is a more early-90s look. It is also an American phenomena: I can not recall ever seeing them elsewhere. I know I have never seen them here in the UK, or in Italy.

I had a Polo tab shirt bought more recently (around the turn of the decade). Never truly adjusted to wearing it though and gave it away a couple of years ago. I might get another at some stage, but it's a long, long way down the list.

13. Sander

Sander Senior member

I always notice them on Germany's foreign secretary Frank-Walter Steinmeier:
    [​IMG]
    I never thought of this looks as something linked to a certain period or a certain country. Maybe that's a sign for his secret love for America?

14. Mr_Sweden

Mr_Sweden Active Member

I always notice them on Germany's foreign secretary Frank-Walter Steinmeier:
    [​IMG]
    I never thought of this looks as something linked to a certain period or a certain country. Maybe that's a sign for his secret love for America?

Many German men favor the tab collar, for example Rolf Breuer, former CEO of Deutsche Bank.

/Mr S

15. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Do you think they had them made? I suppose Spitzer's gangly enough (and wealthy enough) that he might wear bespoke from head to toe. I can't remember seeing them for sale in the longest while, but maybe they usually just don't register with me.

No. Strictly RTW, Brooks Bros. type of guy.

I read that he once tried a pale blue shirt, but he reverted back to white. He didn't feel comfortable in anything but a white shirt.