• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T-Shirt Measurement Compendium

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Howdy SF

So I figured with summer coming, T-Shirts would be the subject of a lot of discussion. I think that it would benefit all of us to pool our knowledge for T-Shirts and create a compendium of T-shirt sizes for different brands. So, if you could be so gracious to help with this project, I ask that you bust out your tape measure and post the chest, hem, length, and sleeve length/opening of various shirts, along with the depth of the vee/u/etc., if there is any significant taper, and whether the measurement is after a hot wash or not.

EDIT: also add the Shoulder to shoulder measurements, if you would

So, for example:
Uniqlo V-Neck, Size Medium, Post Wash
Length: 26"
P2P 19"
Hem 19"
Sleeve length: 8"
Sleeve opening: 6"
Depth of vee:4"

Hanes Crewneck, Size medium, Post Wash
Length: 25"
P2P: 19"
Hem: 19"
Sleeve: 6.75"
Sleeve Opening:7"

Alternative Apparel, size medium, post-wash
Length: 22"
P2P 19"
Tapers down to: 17"
Sleeve: 7"
Sleeve opening: 7"

So, SF, if you could kindly contribute, I can put them into a spreadsheet and people will be able to find the perfect fit based on their criteria!

Knisse

Reaction score
This is a great idea. I am on the lookout for some t-shirts at the moment and will definitely give you measurements once i have made some purchases - and gave them a machine wash? Or is a machine wash a no-go even for t-shirts?

Also, a picture or perhaps a quality scale to add after the first wash, some t-shirts decrease significantly after the first wash.

ramp

Reaction score
Bumping this up; will add some measurements later.

Kinda frustrating going to 3 or 4 different stores and finding everything is too small in the shoulders and too big in the body.

sdx

Reaction score
AmA Tri-Blend Crew, Medium, Post Wash
Length: 29" (Shoulder to Hem)
S2S: 16.5"
Sleeve: 7.5"
Sleeve Opening:6.75"

nobutada55

Reaction score
I got two for you, a good thing to remember is most "heather" shirts are cotton and polyester mixed and normally do not shrink as much as their 100% cotton counterparts.

Hanes Beefy Tee in Navy, size medium, post-wash
Length: 26"
P2P: 18.5"
S2S: 18"
Sleeve: 7"
Sleeve opening: 7"

Stafford Premium Crew Neck, size medium, post-wash (JCPenney Brand)
Length: 29"
P2P: 18.5"
S2S: 17"
Sleeve: 8"
Sleeve opening: 6.5"

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Next Level Apparel (I know, right? I'd never heard of them, but that's the base tee they used for the Cut Copy shirts this tour.)

100% cotton, size M, post-wash (cold wash, tumble dry)

S2S: 18"
P2P: 19.5"
Length: 29"
Sleeve: 8"
Sleeve opening: 6.25"

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
PTO is doing a group buy for white V and crew Alternative Apparel Ts - http://putthison.com/post/4528414520...11-its-on-once
for 9.90 each (plus flat shipping charge)

Anyone know what their basic tees measure in a small? I've seen measurements for their various tees run all over the place - ex- GN's tee in the OP is pretty short (size medium), on the other hand I've seen some Alt App smalls that are a good 6 inches longer than that.

nobutada55

Reaction score
Two shirts both post wash
Mossimo Ultimate Tee in Red size Medium
Length: 27.5"
S2S: 16"
Sleeve: 8.5"

Jerzee tee in Red size Medium
Length: 27.5"
P2P: 20"
S2S: 17"
Hem: 20"
Sleeve: 9"

Knisse

Reaction score
Alternative Apparel Crewneck After tumble wash Size Small Length (shoulder to bottom): 24" P2P: 17" S2S: 15" Hem: 16" Shoulder to end sleeve: 7,5" Sleeve hem: 7,5" Alternative Apparel Marled Eco version Crewneck After tumble wash Size Small Length (shoulder to bottom): 22" P2P: 16,93" S2S: 15" Hem: 16,5" Shoulder to end sleeve:6,3" Sleeve hem: 5,5"

wil

Reaction score
Good thread. I am searching for the Muji cotton crew-neck or v-neck size small or medium t-shirt measurements.

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm bumping this thread, since I think it's a pretty good idea, and I'd like to ask a question as well:

I'm a shorter guy (5'8"), and am having trouble finding some cheap white t-shirts that fit well lengthwise. I'm broad in the upper body (shoulders, chest), and as such, the lenth issue on tees is further exacerbated on me, as tees that fit me well in the shoulders and chest are just way too long.

I bought two packs of Hanes Perfect v-neck tees yesterday in a size M, gave them a very hot wash and a very hot dry, and they're still way too long. I haven't taken a tape measure to them yet, but guessing by where they fall on my body, I'd guess that they're at least 31" long. I want them to be shorter than my BDS, but all the ones that I've tried so far are at least 2-3 inches longer.

Any recommendations for shorter guys here? My J. Crew tees fit pretty well, but I'd like to be able to just find some nice blank white tees for beaters.

loreley

Reaction score
I get mine shortened at $6 per shirt at the local dry cleaners. No need to pay a tailor to do it.

I've yet to find the "perfect" shirt that fits me in the arms, chest, and length perfectly, so I settle on the shirts that fit me perfect in the chest/arms but are slightlllly too long.

loreley

Reaction score
and if you are handy with a sewing machine, this is one of the easiest alterations you can do.

kwoyeu

Reaction score
^ that's helpful to know, thanks.

uniqlos have some nice inexpensive tees (premium cotton) that are just the right length for me at 5'8", though i wear a XS rather than M...

James perse is the worst, smallest size is like 30 inches long

I will have a lot of measurements to contribute soon.

cowsareforeating

Reaction score
where to cop u necks?
ffffuuuu.gif

really cant find any anywhere to try on

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads