• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

T Shirt Controversy

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The T shirt in the business casual context. I usually wear a crew neck with golf shirts or unbuttoned collared shirts. This seems completely normal, but I sometimes get comments that I should be wearing a V neck. As long as the crew is white and crisp, I never think twice about wearing it with unbuttoned shirts.

What do the Generally Accepted Sartorial Principles say about this?

Might this be generational, stemming from the Clark Gable incident?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wait for Vox to chime in.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer wearing a V-neck. I dislike the look of a t-shirt peeking from underneath the shirt.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by taxgenius69
I would wait for Vox to chime in.

I'm sure he's monitoring this thread closely.

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not hirsuit. Interesting you say it looks off. I wear the V neck occassionally, but have never given it much thought until now.

As for the Gable reference, I took this incident to be true. If you survey the over 60 crowd, you will find that many of them do not wear T shirts. Actually, its not necessary to survey them, as it is all too obvious--and unfortunate.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/gable1.asp

hatguy

Reaction score
v-neck is "cleaner" in appearance imo

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EDIT - Ignore me, I'm drunk.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My view - showing your white crew neck collar shirt poking out from under your button-up (or, oh gawd, your polo) is like having your underwear sticking up out of your pants. It's an undershirt, I don't want to see it.

and PS - a polo is not a "business" shirt, it's a glorified t-shirt. 2 buttons doesn't make it business, even biz casual. I'm sorry.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is the sartorial equivalent of saying "irregardless" or "excape."

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
May I ask why you're wearing an undershirt with a polo in the first place? Polos are a nice version of a t shirt. They don't need one.

BevisFrondFan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
May I ask why you're wearing an undershirt with a polo in the first place? Polos are a nice version of a t shirt. They don't need one.

Agreed.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I perfer a v neck because I personal do not like to show off much if any undershirt with my other shirt. I also do not find it very flattering to see it on others, even if it is crisp.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.