• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T.M Lewin collar size

Knutsson

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice regarding what collar size to chose for T.M lewin. I usually wear a european size 40 which I believe equals 15 . 3/4 inches.

The question is then do I order a 16 inch collar or a 15.5 inch collar. I've read posts saying the Lewins shrink a bit, thereby suggesting I go for the 16 inch but I've seen other posters deny any shrinkage. I plan to wash my shirts in 40 degrees celcius and dry them gently on a hanger afterwards.

Also is the difference in chest measurements large between the 16 and the 15.5? I'm a pretty tall and slim guy at 1.90 cm and 80 kg so I would prefer a smaller chest measurement but I think I still need the 35 inch sleeves of the standard 16/35, or perhaps I should move up to the 15/36

AlmostSmart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knutsson
I'm looking for advice regarding what collar size to chose for T.M lewin. I usually wear a european size 40 which I believe equals 15 . 3/4 inches.

The question is then do I order a 16 inch collar or a 15.5 inch collar. I've read posts saying the Lewins shrink a bit, thereby suggesting I go for the 16 inch but I've seen other posters deny any shrinkage. I plan to wash my shirts in 40 degrees celcius and dry them gently on a hanger afterwards.

Also is the difference in chest measurements large between the 16 and the 15.5? I'm a pretty tall and slim guy at 1.90 cm and 80 kg so I would prefer a smaller chest measurement but I think I still need the 35 inch sleeves of the standard 16/35, or perhaps I should move up to the 15/36

Have sent you a PM

Siggy

Reaction score
Get size 16 collar and slim fit shirt.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Depending on the fabric used, any given TML shirt can shrink slightly to significantly. Try ordering one shirt a size up as a test shirt. Give it a few washes and see how it wears afterward. Then buy the rest of your shirts either at that size (if it shrunk to fit you) or at your normal size (if it didn't shrink too badly).

I've had a lot of problems with collar shrinkage on TML shirts over the years, and now I just buy 16 (I'm ordinarily a 15.5).

sartorialexecutive

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Knutsson

I believe general advice is to go up one size from normal with T.M. Lewin,

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My TM Lewin collars were snugger than normal from the start and they shrank down to be unwearable for me. I would certainly order the 16. It will probably work out well for you.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do my own laundry and ironing. I order TTS and have never had a problem.

nbmplano

Reaction score
Anyone have any Lewin discount codes? Cant seem to find any. If not; when are their typical sales (or release of discount codes; I know they have sales almost weekly?)

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbmplano
Anyone have any Lewin discount codes? Cant seem to find any. If not; when are their typical sales (or release of discount codes; I know they have sales almost weekly?)

MYVC01 will give you 10% off. Paying in GBP is usually cheaper.

I placed an order for a friend last week using a 5 shirts for 100 GBP coupon. Unfortunately, it no longer works.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
Try ordering one shirt a size up as a test shirt. Give it a few washes and see how it wears afterward. Then buy the rest of your shirts either at that size (if it shrunk to fit you) or at your normal size (if it didn't shrink too badly).

+1

Rankiz

Reaction score
I've ordered many poplin shirts from TM Lewin, but the 14,5" is too tight around the waist, however, the 15" would fit around the waist, but is half an inch too big in the collar. Should I just order one in 15" and see what happens? If the shirt shrink half an inch so it will fit me, it will not shrink any more than half an inch around the waist?

EDIT: What temprature should I wash them on to shrink half an inch? Should I tumble dry them?

Last edited:

Rankiz

Reaction score

I've ordered many poplin shirts from TM Lewin, but the 14,5" is too tight around the waist, however, the 15" would fit around the waist, but is half an inch too big in the collar. Should I just order one in 15" and see what happens? If the shirt shrink half an inch so it will fit me, it will not shrink any more than half an inch around the waist?
EDIT: What temprature should I wash them on to shrink half an inch? Should I tumble dry them?

Anyone know? Thought of doing this..

Rankiz

Reaction score
Do you approve this method?
Fill a sink with piping hot water and add a few drops of liquid detergent to the mix. Dip the collar of the shirt into the hot water mixture. At this point, you can drape the body of the shirt over the side of the sink to avoid letting the rest of the cloth come into contact with the hot water. Be sure that only the collar sits in the hot water. Allow the collar to soak for about ten minutes.

Rinse the collar using a fresh batch of piping hot water. Place the shirt on a sturdy hanger. Use a blow dryer on the highest heat setting to dry the collar. Place the blow dryer very close to the fabric of the shirt collar. Make sure the collar is completely dry before you finish blow drying the fabric.

Use an iron to flatten the collar and make the fabric consistent. Use a moderately hot setting for a just a few seconds on each area of the collar.

Read more: How to Shrink the Collar of a Shirt | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_8793930_shrink-collar-shirt.html#ixzz1geT7bCDE

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads