T&A summer sale?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by coachvu, May 9, 2006.

1. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

I've read in past threads that the T&A boutiques have a sale every summer. Shirts are about $100, ties for $50, etc. Is this still true? If so, when is it?

2. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

I've read in past threads that the T&A boutiques have a sale every summer. Shirts are about $100, ties for $50, etc. Is this still true? If so, when is it?
    It's definitely been true in the past. They have a decent selection of shirts, and a GIGANTIC selection of ties. I also love their ties, I think they are the perfect thickness for my perfect knot. So, I'm interested in when the sale starts too!

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

They had a very nice selection of shirts last year at $100 each. I got enough tattersalls to last me a while, but I'm sure I'll be tempted to go back....

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

The $100 shirts includes some Sea Island cotton too

5. seok

seok Senior member

their shirts are quite wide on the waist though, arent they? most of mine fit like a sail.

is this something that can be altered?

6. Patrick Bateman

I would describe the fit as "comfortable" i.e. neither slim nor baggy.

There's been some discussion that their shirts made for other sources (Neiman Marcus in the U.S.) may have a looser fit in the waist.

Any competent tailor can take in the shirt at the side seams or add darts at the back. It is also possible to make the sleeves and armhole narrower.

7. seok

seok Senior member

I would describe the fit as "comfortable" i.e. neither slim nor baggy.

There's been some discussion that their shirts made for other sources (Neiman Marcus in the U.S.) may have a looser fit in the waist.

Any competent tailor can take in the shirt at the side seams or add darts at the back. It is also possible to make the sleeves and armhole narrower.

patrick, not to derail the thread, but do you have recs on a tailor you use in manhattan for this? i may have to take some of my T&A shirts to a tailor when i'm in NYC next month...

8. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

If so, when is it?

Does anyone know at least the month?

9. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

It was summer, maybe May or June. Don't recall the exact date. Perhaps someone has a receipt with the exact date.

10. Patrick Bateman

patrick, not to derail the thread, but do you have recs on a tailor you use in manhattan for this? i may have to take some of my T&A shirts to a tailor when i'm in NYC next month...

I've had these alterations done on about 15 shirts at Ignacio's on East 60th between Park and Lex. I think it costs about $15-20 per shirt. They are quite competent, just be clear about what you want. I believe they do alterations for many stores on the East Side (Barneys, Burberry, Jay Kos, and many others).

Note: I don't think they do single-needle stitching, so if that matters to you you want to look elsewhere (although I think the side seams on T & A are not single needle anyway!).

There is another tailor, Allmeier, who is downtown and specializes in shirts. But there've been mixed things said about their customer service. Ignacio's can probably turn the shirts around in a few days if you ask nicely.

11. PhiloVance

PhiloVance Senior member

I've used Wilfred's for sleeves and chest. I think it was $10 per sleeve and $20 to take in the chest.

12. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

They also had suits and 100% cashmere overcoats on sale with T&A lable but were made by Chester Barrie aka Cheshire. Very good deal. I believe it was in June or July, definitely not May. Don't know if they're going to put any C&J on sale this time. Just call T&A to confirm.

13. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

Just called the Manhattan store. The sale will start June 5 and continue until June 18 (Father's Day) at the earliest.