• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Synthetic undergarments

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It's been a while since I asked a question of you all, and I know someone out there can answer this.

I have been experimenting around with various synthetic undershirts as alternatives to crappy cotton ones that stick to you, get stained underarms, rip easily and need to be replaced often. The synthetic ones are supposed to wick moisture away and since they don't hold stink they can often be worn a few times before you need to wash them (really.)

I have bought a few of them and here's my evaluation so far:

-Jockey v-neck white Coolmax (or something like it): not bad; kinda slinky; not tight enough; see-thruable; doesn't seem to wick moisture

-Calvin Klein "body" spandex-ish shiny black crew neck: pretty nice; chicks seem to dig it when I wear only this on hot days; anti-perspirant eventually soaks thru and dries into white crust on outside (yuck); doesn't keep you cool or warm really

-Calvin Klein real Coolmaxâ„¢ matte ribbed black crew neck: the best one so far; breathes well; doesn't show perspiration at all; doesn't crust up or get skanky after even a couple of days usually

-Under Armour HeatGear black shiny crew neck: ULTRA tight spandexy compression material, much like the Calvin Klein spandexish one but thinner; other than the fit it's about the same; breathes better; keeps you cool even when you don't want to be

I know there are other brands out there. I'm wondering if anyone has found a favourite so I can get a few and finally ditch all my cotton undershirts. I prefer v-neck, white and black, and I wear a medium.

Edit: changed title to "undergarments" from "undershirts", may as well discuss them together.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went through this process for boxer briefs since that situation was far more uncomfortable than the undershirt situation. After trying Under Armour, Jockey and Calvin Klein microfiber boxer briefs, I found Under Armour to be the superior choice. The Jockey might be ok if it weren't for the fact that I have pretty muscular legs and the Jockeys end up bunching up rather uncomfortably. The longer length and tighter fit of the Under Armours works better in this regard for me. They are cooler, and while I still sometimes perspire in them, they will dry unlike cotton boxer briefs in which one must endure until the next change of clothing.

I've just started looking at microfiber t-shirts and I started with Under Armour because their boxer briefs worked best for me. I also have a reasonably muscular upper body and the heat gear shirts were far too tight for me. I may try going up one size, but I also didn't like the feel of my dress shirts over a skin tight shirt. The next thing I tried was UA's Loose Gear line of shirts, but their size small is still too big for me (go figure -- medium is too small in heat gear and small is too big in loose gear) and v-necks aren't available in that line, either. I may try one of the youth large sizes and see if that works for me.

I do a lot of running and wear Nike Dri-Fit shirts exclusively. The medium size fits me quite well, but the material is a little thicker than I would prefer for an undershirt. You might take a look at those if the thickness is not an issue for you.

Good luck, and let us know if you come across something you like.

dan

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like the underarmour ones for athletic matters

as for normal day to day underwear (boxerbriefs/briefs and undershirts), there are some really nice ones by caleda which has a seamless version, a microfibre version, a microfibre and cotton version as well as an athletic line (something thermal but i can't recall the name) all of which are very good

caleda does offer the undershirts in v neck in black or white or some god aweful other colours - they are in the CHF35-45 range per undershirt

i also recently picked up some hanro synthetic mix boxerbriefs that appear quite nice so far

Mike

Reaction score
I'm sorry but I can't refrain from doing this...

"WE MUST PROTECT THIS HOUSE.."

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been meaning to ask this for a while now: when did polyester get so expensive.?.?.?
Now that I'm an "athlete" I wear polyester everything. Must be wicking, or I can't wear it. Almost unimaginable that I used to wear cotton socks to workout in...no, no, only coolmax socks will do. They only cost $12 per pair. Polyester everything: shirts, baselayers, jerseys, underwear, shorts, socks, headbands, arm-warmers, leg-warmers, gloves...everything. Heh, athletes are such suckers.

Anyway, back to the original post...are you sure about that "wearing it multiple times before washing thing?" It doesn't quite work for me...(but then again, I only wear synthetics to workout in).
That said, my favorite synthetic undershirts (we call them base-layers, by the way) are made by Craft, then DeFeet. They have a higher neckline than the Calvin Klein Tech stuff. The CK shirt is more a beater style tank, whereas the Craft and DeFeet are more of a sleeveless T-shirt. IMO, the CK stuff seems to run large these days...I recommend buying a size down.

For everyday casual or business attire, I still prefer the feeling of cotton. Of the more reasonable brands, I like Polo better than all of CK's lines, Jockey, and 2(x)ist. Polo is the cheapest too. Of the, er, unreasonable brands, Zimmerli is the best I've tried. Just like the cotton of fine dress shirts, Zimmerli's cotton has a sheen similar to silk and always feels great.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics