1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sydneysiders -- what not to miss on a visit to the area?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by HunterJE, Aug 17, 2012.

1. HunterJE

HunterJE Member

In a couple of weeks I will be going to Sydney, Australia to visit my sister and her wife for a few weeks. As it happens, my availability for travel (being a law student, this sliver between summer and the start of fall quarter was the only place I could see fitting a trip in) doesn't line up well with either of their available vacation time, so for a good chunk of my time there I will be on my own devices by day. Does anyone who knows the area have any recommendations for interesting things I should check out?

2. circumspice

circumspice Senior member

I have stayed in the Rocks area (by the base of the Grey Lady, the iconic bridge whose non-nickname name I am forgetting) the last few times in Sydney.

Sailor's Thai has a cheaper Canteen upstairs, and a white linen restaurant downstairs
    www.sailorsthai.com.au/

The Lord Nelson Brewery is a solid brewpub in the area.

The Sydney Opera House tour is interesting.

Manly has some nice walks you can do, although I don't know if the weather will be decent enough.
    http://www.manlyaustralia.com.au/information/what_to_do/walks/walkway.asp

Manly and the Taronga Zoo are accessible by ferry, which is a nice way to get out on the water. The Zoo isn't a bad idea if you aren't going elsewhere too see some of the animals.

Doing the Blue Mountains as a day trip might not be viable due to the weather.

3. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Senior member

1. Leave Sydney and head to Melbourne
    2. Spend all time in Melbourne
    3. Avoid flying to Sydney on way back home.

There is a reason that a) Melbourne is the world's most liveable city and b) Adelaide is ranked higher than Sydney on the liveability index.

4. click here

click here Senior member

5. sliq

sliq Senior member

Biennale of Sydney is running atm on Cockatoo Island (free ferries):

http://bos18.com/

6. Paulio

Paulio Member

In no particular order

Ferry from Circular quay to Manly, drinks on the water in Manly and a fast ferry back
    Trip to the blue mountains to see the three sisters - try and go on the cable cars too
    Fetherdale wildlife park, feed kangaroos and touch a koala
    Royal national park, have a BBQ and drive around the park see wotamolla bay and Gary beach
    Check out darling harbour on a weekend day/night something is usually on
    Bondi beach is pretty iconic
    Harry's cafe de wheels in wollomolloo is pretty iconic
    Check our Kings cross (can be dangerous, it's our red light district)
    Check out Oxford street (can be strange it's where they gay clubs are)
    China town on a Friday night as street markets (good for food)
    The rocks on a Friday night also has street markets (good for food)
    Go to the Shan gri lah and head up to level 36 for drinks, put your name on the waiting list for the blu bar
    Go to Australia square and head up to level 46 for drinks/food
    Alot of tourists like to climb the harbour bridge it's around $300
    Opera bar on a sunny day / warm night has a fantastic view of the water
    Some pubs clubs include Ivy, Argyle, Uncle Mings,
    Some places to eat include hurricanes, ucello, China town noodle king, din tai fung, Charlies burgers

:slayer:

7. Paulio

Paulio Member

The weather is really unpredictable but it's getting warmer here every day now :D

8. HunterJE

HunterJE Member

I'll add, I live in Seattle, WA, and from the looks of it the weather there right now is about what I'm used to most of the year here...

9. jurrigggg

jurrigggg Member

Probably gravedigging, but I just moved to Sydney 5 days ago and am looking for new friends. Anybody up for that Blu Bar thing or O Bar tonight or this weekend? Or anywhere really. This city is so beautiful.

10. YOLO EMSHI

YOLO EMSHI Senior member

Are we talking about a free meal deal here...

11. Paulio

Paulio Member

More info, are you holidaying / working / what industry?