• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney vs Perth

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
I have to make a decision between staying in Sydney or moving to Perth (work related)

I've never been to Perth and have heard mixed reports. Any advice? Pros / cons of both?

Thanks,

J

Nomad_K

Reaction score
Fly out and try it!

+ Perth - better beaches, more laid back, generally friendlier people according to everyone I know who has lived there (I haven't).
- Perth depending on your point of view - smaller, fewer options when heading out at night, most isolated capitol in the world.

If I had a good offer to head back to Aus I would try Perth over Sydney.

em36

Reaction score
Perugino restaurant is fantastic. Awful lot of wealth created in WA.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I spent about 30 years in Perth and still think of it as 'home'. It has a lot of pros as well as cons over Sydney so I don't really know how to answer this one. If you are more outdoorsy you will love it. Great beaches, forests, rivers, deserts and all that. Also close and relatively cheap for flights to Bali - about the same as flying back to Sydney!

The thing that pissed me off most was seeing international musicians and artists touring the East coast and skipping Australia.
plain.gif

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I've been in Sydney for 2 years now and it's a great city... my only real gripes are the traffic (it's a big city so what do you expect), and the fact I work way out west (Bella Vista / Baulkham Hills).

My wife and I are looking at starting a family next year and I'm thinking perhaps a slower pace is not such a bad thing. My wife is from Singapore, so like Bali, it's a shorter flight (mind you I'm from NZ).

I've heard that Perth's economy has gone through the roof due to the mining boom. Not sure if this is a + or - as home prices have soared along with the economy
frown.gif

Plenty to think about. Any other thoughts?

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
Thank you all for the replies. I've been in Sydney for 2 years now and it's a great city... my only real gripes are the traffic (it's a big city so what do you expect), and the fact I work way out west (Bella Vista / Baulkham Hills).

My wife and I are looking at starting a family next year and I'm thinking perhaps a slower pace is not such a bad thing. My wife is from Singapore, so like Bali, it's a shorter flight (mind you I'm from NZ).

I've heard that Perth's economy has gone through the roof due to the mining boom. Not sure if this is a + or - as home prices have soared along with the economy
frown.gif

Plenty to think about. Any other thoughts?

Ah, ok. For a new family I think Perth would be really good. It really is a great place for kids and a good place to grow-up.

Of course a lot depends on where you live - inner city is actually very nice, beach or the suburban sprawl wastelands. Singapore is definitely close and inexpensive. Traffic is nothing like Sydney - there is only one real freeway. Oddly, I knew and worked with several kiwis when I was in Perth.

I haven't looked at Sydney housing prices for years (or lived permanently in Perth for 4 years now), but I think you will find housing very expensive by anyone's standards - though maybe not quite as bad as Sydney.

Good luck!

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perth is like a smaller version of Sydney. Less hills, less people, less traffic. Drier climate (hotter summers, cooler winters). less lebanese resturants.

the beaches are the best out of any capital city (arguably, in the world). the southern wine regions (margaret river, denmark) are beautifull.

house prices are probably comparable to sydney although being a smaller city you will have lower commuting times.

its closer to asia but theres no option for quick trips to sunshine coast or melbourne.

if you are an outdoors type you will love it. if you are a cultured type it may be a little less up your alley (although there are still options)

ive been working in Perth for the last 5 years and have seen it booming, even the GFC was just a blip on its growth. the resource sector is going absolute bannanas - and is bringing with it both good and negative side effects.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^

Good post from the honorary sandgroper!
smile.gif

The wine regions in the South West are some of the best in the world. Great countryside, food and wine and beaches. Make that best in the world for a day trip or weekender - unless you are a wine snob it is a lot more varied and fun than anything in California or South Australia.

3cyr3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
Perth is like a smaller version of Sydney. Less hills, less people, less traffic. Drier climate (hotter summers, cooler winters). less lebanese resturants.

the beaches are the best out of any capital city (arguably, in the world). the southern wine regions (margaret river, denmark) are beautifull.

house prices are probably comparable to sydney although being a smaller city you will have lower commuting times.

its closer to asia but theres no option for quick trips to sunshine coast or melbourne.

if you are an outdoors type you will love it. if you are a cultured type it may be a little less up your alley (although there are still options)

ive been working in Perth for the last 5 years and have seen it booming, even the GFC was just a blip on its growth. the resource sector is going absolute bannanas - and is bringing with it both good and negative side effects.

I grew up and currently live in Perth, but have spent many months living in Sydney.

Just wanting to add onto MrH's post. Perth has less culture, less fashion, less international sporting events (or events in general), and i would argue that the traffic is just as bad as Sydney, if only for the fact that the majority of Perth people do not understand any form of driving etiquette.

However, like has been said, there is plenty to do if you like the outdoors, and beaches, and our wine regions are some of the best in the World.

Simon Templar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 3cyr3
I grew up and currently live in Perth, but have spent many months living in Sydney.

Just wanting to add onto MrH's post. Perth has less culture, less fashion, less international sporting events (or events in general), and i would argue that the traffic is just as bad as Sydney, if only for the fact that the majority of Perth people do not understand any form of driving etiquette.

However, like has been said, there is plenty to do if you like the outdoors, and beaches, and our wine regions are some of the best in the World.

I imagine there are fewer job opportunities in Perth (excepting certain sectors like mining). Although you have a job, this shouldn't be a problem but what about your wife? Wages may also be lower than the eastern states. Housing is super expensive (2nd most after Sydney). Are you going to sell up in Sydney and buy in Perth? It might make it hard to re-enter the Sydney market if you decide to come back one day. The Hills district is okay, at least you're not in a shithole like Auburn, Lakemba or Bankstown.

Lifestyle in Perth would definately be better, less congestion, less crime, less angst, fewer ghettos, perhaps friendlier people and more sense of community. Sydneysiders (generalisation) are quite unfriendly and glum.

Lots of Poms and Saffers in Perth as well.

tba

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JohnsNotHere
I have to make a decision between staying in Sydney or moving to Perth (work related)

I've never been to Perth and have heard mixed reports. Any advice? Pros / cons of both?

I moved from Melbourne to Perth for work, but moved back 2 years later. Should visit before making any decision.

If you like hot summers and the outdoors, you will probably enjoy yourself.

In the end I left due to a combination of the weather, limited career potential, parochial attitudes of many locals, remoteness and cost (Melbourne is cheaper)

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
eating out is quite expensive in perth. you dont have the sheer quantity of restuarants where you can get (good) food for under $20 a head. most of them are cantonese (saying that, there are some very good cantonese resturants, but you wont get the cheap variety you get in melbourne)

JohnsNotHere

Reaction score
Thanks again for all the replies. We've decided to make the move... long story short the job made the decision for me. If I'd stayed in Sydney I would continue doing what I'm doing (IT software developer) for the company I'm contracted to (they were head huinting me). However I have some ambition to move into management and the move makes this possible (plus a load of free training).

Living in the Hills was ok... very safe with the large quota of christians but damn hot. We are renting so it's not a big deal. I tend to move a lot with my job... third move in 4 years. That and getting into the market these days is a ***** (I spend too much money on clothes).

Also Perth sounds like a good fit from your posts. Love wine, beaches, yada yada.

Cheers,

J

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Cool. I hope you and your new family like WA.

Mr Herbert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i suggest you find somewhere west of the city to rent.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads