• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sydney fashion

whistler

Reaction score
Just got back to my hometown of Perth, Australia after a stint in Tokyo. Aside from a few problems finding big enough clothes, Tokyo is basically a shoppers' paradise. As you walk through the streets, you can see people (guys and girls) pay a lot of attention to fashion.

Perth, though, is a complete desert when it comes to fashion unfortunately. Everyone seems to wear surfer t-shirts and ill-fitting/ugly clothes. I've visited most of the shops in Perth city, and the clothes on sale are pretty bad, which explains why people aren't so fashionable.

I'm considering a move to Sydney. Would you consider Sydney a "fashionable" city in terms of clothing shops and what people wear?

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whistler
Just got back to my hometown of Perth, Australia after a stint in Tokyo. Aside from a few problems finding big enough clothes, Tokyo is basically a shoppers' paradise. As you walk through the streets, you can see people (guys and girls) pay a lot of attention to fashion.

Perth, though, is a complete desert when it comes to fashion unfortunately. Everyone seems to wear surfer t-shirts and ill-fitting/ugly clothes. I've visited most of the shops in Perth city, and the clothes on sale are pretty bad, which explains why people aren't so fashionable.

I'm considering a move to Sydney. Would you consider Sydney a "fashionable" city in terms of clothing shops and what people wear?

No.

Melbourne imho is more fashionable than Sydney.

The clothing stores in Sydney are very ordinary other than 1 or 2 very overpriced stores around the Financial district. If you want decent shoes forget it. It does however have one very good MTM shirtmaker out in Parramatta (probably the best in the country) but thats about it.

Don't forget that Sydney is a relatively humid coastal laid back city with sprawling suburbia that never ends. Its about lifestyle and not about being dressed properly. Dressing well is about making a conscious decision and most Sydney siders either consciously choose not too or are oblivious. When people (men in particular) try to dress and look cool they end up looking like 'court jesters' with their rediculous shoes and puffy outfits because they have never heard of buying clothes that fit properly as opposed fitting like a tablecloth.

Having said that there are a some people who are well dressed. They know you notice when you walk past them. If you can get to that standard then you will standout from from the rest of us.

Go to Melbourne for a weekend before coming to Sydney.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Star
No.

Melbourne imho is more fashionable than Sydney.

The clothing stores in Sydney are very ordinary other than 1 or 2 very overpriced stores around the Financial district. If you want decent shoes forget it. It does however have one very good MTM shirtmaker out in Parramatta (probably the best in the country) but thats about it.

Don't forget that Sydney is a relatively humid coastal laid back city with sprawling suburbia that never ends. Its about lifestyle and not about being dressed properly. Dressing well is about making a conscious decision and most Sydney siders either consciously choose not too or are oblivious. When people (men in particular) try to dress and look cool they end up looking like 'court jesters' with their rediculous shoes and puffy outfits because they have never heard of buying clothes that fit properly as opposed fitting like a tablecloth.

Having said that there are a some people who are well dressed. They know you notice when you walk past them. If you can get to that standard then you will standout from from the rest of us.

Go to Melbourne for a weekend before coming to Sydney.

Charles Nakhle is a bespoke shirtmaker IIRC

I have only 1 shirt from him, a pink and white candystripe with contrast collar and cuffs (which I use as a template for MTM, as a student I can't afford all my shirts from him).

He got my pattern perfect the first time. I found out about him from SF, Sator has probably given the guy quite a few referrals.

But on the whole Sydney is a mass of black suits and square toed shoes.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back?

Around $230 - 240 I think. My dad paid for it as a gift for my graduation.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FFS give it a break- every city that has a music video culture of mall rats will be the same as Sydney.

I'm from Sydney & like all cities it depends on where you frequent as the demographics dictate the stye & life style. Each city has its charms & quirks.

Perth has great qualities that other Aus cities don't have & one should appreciate it for that, like wise Sydney & Melbourne.. Brisbane & Adelaide - different story
smile.gif

As for the shopping comparison between Melb & Syd.. Guess what, there are only a a handful of importers & they are present in both cities.

Though Melb may have more home grown designers, the international labels or brands have larger presence in Syd as that is where the international dollar is.

Rant over..

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sydney has the best coffee shop culture I've ever seen- and the best espresso I've ever had.

Single Origins in Surrey Hills is simply magic. Better even then Cafe D'Arte near Pike Place in Seattle.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whistler

Hmm I was in Perth last month. I do agree the sartorial scene is quite dismal however there are a few stores worth mentioning.

Now I don't really wear suits or shirts with ties and dress shoes, since there is no need for that in my workplace and I'm not into the "Mens Clothing" items discussed here but rather high-end "streetwear".

I went to this store called Zekka on King's Street and was blown away by their selection of Ann Demulemeester, Attachment, Raf Simons, Junya etc. Other stores in the same district (Kings, Murray) like Dilettante were not bad as well as they featured more playful labels like Henrik Vibskov, Siv Stodal etc.

So Perth isn't truly a desert after all.

Star

Reaction score
Originally Posted by james_timothy
Sydney has the best coffee shop culture I've ever seen- and the best espresso I've ever had.

Single Origins in Surrey Hills is simply magic. Better even then Cafe D'Arte near Pike Place in Seattle.

You obviously haven't been to Melbourne.

m_wave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
Adelaide - different story
smile.gif

Hey!!.... oh yeah fair call. That's why I'm living in London now
smile.gif

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I left home ( Melnourne), 18 years ago and I'm in no hurry
To move back. I just had 3 weeks there visiting family
& was totally disgusted by the male dress sense ( or lack of)!
PG must be the best dressed guy in Oz' ( and Hong Kong for that matter).

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that the vast majority of Australian men dress quite poorly.

Don't forget, however, that even cities such as Sydney are quite small by global standards. Comparing Sydney to Tokyo, NY, London and other such places is a bit inequitable, given that those places have several times the population of Sydney. Further, whilst demand can create supply, Australia has never (well, not for the past few decades, at least) had a good range of shoes available for sale. As an example, I don't think that Sydney has even one place that sells Crockett and Jones, and shoes like corrected-grain Churchs are only available in a couple of places and they sell for the better part of $1000. Is it any wonder that Australian men think that Lloyds, Florsheim and Aquila shoes are good, when they see hardly anything else?

Also, let's not forget that Australian climate ranges from temperate to tropical. It's generally pretty warm anywhere you go in Australia, particularly in summer, and that militates towards a fairly casual dress code.

I'm not excusing my fellow Australians' sartorial failures, but I do think that there are some reasons why we don't dress as well as do men in other places. Further, I think that there is also a tendency to romanticise the way that men dress in other cities. For every young chap in a well-fitted suit with nicely-shined shoes that you see on the train in London or Tokyo, there will be ten others wearing shabby suits or macs with slip-on shoes that are trodden down at the heel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads