• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Syd Barrett dead

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rip

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shine On You Crazy Diamond...

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
What was his clinical diagnosis? Was it something he was born with or did he just LSD himself into scziophrenia (sp)?

I've always heard it was the acid.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
Shine On You Crazy Diamond...

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

I went back and looked for some Barrett-era Floyd, only to learn I didn't have any! Piper is the only album Barrett played on - I did not know that...
lookaround.gif

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I went back and looked for some Barrett-era Floyd, only to learn I didn't have any! Piper is the only album Barrett played on - I did not know that...
lookaround.gif

He also definitely was on "A Saucer Full of Secrets" featuring these classics...

Bike
Corporal Clegg
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

aarghh

Reaction score
I think of Syd Barrett as analogous to Brian Jones - they both were critical in forming the sound that their respective groups became known for; but both imploded.

May his shade know peace.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
He also definitely was on "A Saucer Full of Secrets" featuring these classics...

Bike
Corporal Clegg
Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Actually there were a couple of albums before that, very very obscure, that were totally dominated by Barrett. I have them still in my parent's basement on vinyl. I think they are long out of print -- I dug them up back in the '70s in a used record store.

One of them might have been Atom Heart Mother and the other I forget, was it Umaguma? I think a lot of the songs reappeard on "Saucer" or "Fine Pair" Did anyone ever peel off the sticker on Fine Pair to reveal the **** beneath? That was pretty heady stuff at age 13.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Actually there were a couple of albums before that, very very obscure, that were totally dominated by Barrett. I have them still in my parent's basement on vinyl. I think they are long out of print -- I dug them up back in the '70s in a used record store.

One of them might have been Atom Heart Mother and the other I forget, was it Umaguma? I think a lot of the songs reappeard on "Saucer" or "Fine Pair" Did anyone ever peel off the sticker on Fine Pair to reveal the **** beneath? That was pretty heady stuff at age 13.

According to AMG, Piper is the only record Barrett participated fully on - he left/was tossed in early '68 and appears on only a couple of tracks on their second album, Saucerful of Secrets. Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, etc. all came later...

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
According to AMG, Piper is the only record Barrett participated fully on - he left/was tossed in early '68 and appears on only a couple of tracks on their second album, Saucerful of Secrets. Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, etc. all came later...

I stand corrected. Those early obscure records are all very dark and twisted and nutty, though, so I guess that's where I got confused. That and I haven't listened to them since. oh, say 1985, the last time I had a turntable
smile.gif

One beautiful song I remember from those early albums is "Fat Old Sun"

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
I stand corrected. Those early obscure records are all very dark and twisted and nutty, though, so I guess that's where I got confused. That and I haven't listened to them since. oh, say 1985, the last time I had a turntable
smile.gif

One beautiful song I remember from those early albums is "Fat Old Sun"

I hear ya. Last spin was probably around '83 for me - never mind the, ah, err, desired 'listening state' was not exactly conducive to the long-term memory...
lookaround.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads