Syd Barrett dead

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by johnapril, Jul 11, 2006.

1. johnapril

johnapril Senior member

Rip

2. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shine On You Crazy Diamond...

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
    come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

3. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

4. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    wish you were here

5. Stu

Stu Senior member

What was his clinical diagnosis? Was it something he was born with or did he just LSD himself into scziophrenia (sp)?

6. aportnoy

What was his clinical diagnosis? Was it something he was born with or did he just LSD himself into scziophrenia (sp)?

I've always heard it was the acid.

7. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

I believe the acid released his latent crazy juice. He didn't die... did he?

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Shine On You Crazy Diamond...

Come on you raver, you seer of visions,
    come on you painter, you piper, you prisoner, and shine!

I went back and looked for some Barrett-era Floyd, only to learn I didn't have any! Piper is the only album Barrett played on - I did not know that...[​IMG]

9. aportnoy

I went back and looked for some Barrett-era Floyd, only to learn I didn't have any! Piper is the only album Barrett played on - I did not know that...[​IMG]

He also definitely was on "A Saucer Full of Secrets" featuring these classics...

Bike
    Corporal Clegg
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

10. aarghh

aarghh Senior member

I think of Syd Barrett as analogous to Brian Jones - they both were critical in forming the sound that their respective groups became known for; but both imploded.

May his shade know peace.

11. Stu

Stu Senior member

He also definitely was on "A Saucer Full of Secrets" featuring these classics...

Bike
    Corporal Clegg
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Actually there were a couple of albums before that, very very obscure, that were totally dominated by Barrett. I have them still in my parent's basement on vinyl. I think they are long out of print -- I dug them up back in the '70s in a used record store.

One of them might have been Atom Heart Mother and the other I forget, was it Umaguma? I think a lot of the songs reappeard on "Saucer" or "Fine Pair" Did anyone ever peel off the sticker on Fine Pair to reveal the tits beneath? That was pretty heady stuff at age 13.

12. romafan

romafan Senior member

Actually there were a couple of albums before that, very very obscure, that were totally dominated by Barrett. I have them still in my parent's basement on vinyl. I think they are long out of print -- I dug them up back in the '70s in a used record store.

One of them might have been Atom Heart Mother and the other I forget, was it Umaguma? I think a lot of the songs reappeard on "Saucer" or "Fine Pair" Did anyone ever peel off the sticker on Fine Pair to reveal the tits beneath? That was pretty heady stuff at age 13.

According to AMG, Piper is the only record Barrett participated fully on - he left/was tossed in early '68 and appears on only a couple of tracks on their second album, Saucerful of Secrets. Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, etc. all came later...

13. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Big Winner

The Madcap Laughs will be on my player in about 5 minutes...

Must prepare first.

14. Stu

Stu Senior member

According to AMG, Piper is the only record Barrett participated fully on - he left/was tossed in early '68 and appears on only a couple of tracks on their second album, Saucerful of Secrets. Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds, etc. all came later...

I stand corrected. Those early obscure records are all very dark and twisted and nutty, though, so I guess that's where I got confused. That and I haven't listened to them since. oh, say 1985, the last time I had a turntable [​IMG]

One beautiful song I remember from those early albums is "Fat Old Sun"

15. romafan

romafan Senior member

I stand corrected. Those early obscure records are all very dark and twisted and nutty, though, so I guess that's where I got confused. That and I haven't listened to them since. oh, say 1985, the last time I had a turntable [​IMG]

One beautiful song I remember from those early albums is "Fat Old Sun"

I hear ya. Last spin was probably around '83 for me - never mind the, ah, err, desired 'listening state' was not exactly conducive to the long-term memory...[​IMG]