• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swimming and Weight Loss

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Swam competitively in HS, many years ago, have gotten fat and out of shape since then. I started swimming a grueling 2,000 yard workout 3x a week about 3 months ago. On alternating days I do 1.5 miles or so on the treadmill and a weight circuit routine. I take Sundays off. I have dropped about 15 lbs since Feb. 9, lost 1.5 inches off my waist, cut my BMI from 30.1 to 27.8 and my body fat % from 34.6% to 24.9%. BP went from 118/90- to 115/75. Cholesterol was 259, have not checked since I started but I am hoping it dropped at least 10%, what with all the intense cardio I am doing with the swimming and running.

Problem is now I feel like I have plateaued, weight-loss wise. I can't seem to get below 190 lbs. I would ideally like to get to about 175-178, But I seem to be stuck in that 190-192 range. I was reading that swimming is not the ideal exercise for losing weight, seems to have worked so far, but could it be that I won't get much more from swimming, weight wise? I will say my cardio fitness is probably really high, so I am going to keep swimming, but as for weight, has anyone else heard that swimming is not ideal for losing weight?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have heard/read this in many places. Like you I lost a little from swimming. Or, it's hard to say if it was just swimming because I was doing other things too.

I would do a serious weight/resistance routine if I were you and also look at diet. Swimming ain't gonna do it alone.

danilo

Reaction score
no... it's an exercise and a full body one at that. I think if you're mixing running/swimming and weight training you should be getting plenty of exercise.

It also seems like you're exercising quite a bit, maybe take a day off in between.

Or instead of doing 1.5 mile on treadmill, do some basic weight training squats/deads/bench/overhead (stronglifts routine may help) and do some sprints or interval training.

If you're trying to lose weight you should be looking more in depth into your diet as it seems you're exercising plenty.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been swimming for about 3-4 months, once a week when I am home, but up to 4 times when I am traveling. I haven't seen any weight loss, but I have lost about an inch around my waist, maybe more, that I attribute directly to the swimming. I think that you end up with a little muscle build up.

I also jog once a week - the jogging seems to be the least pleasant, but the best weight loss tool. that and diet. frankly, you just aren't fat enough to lose without changing your diet, Stu. I have gone way into the protein side, I am at 50% of my calories from protein, but you also need a lot of fiber if you eat that much protein. but I'm down better than 110 pounds so far.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Jogging sucks.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Jogging sucks.

truth. being over 300 pounds sucks more.

velobran

Reaction score
I typically fall into a similar routine. I'm riding about 200 miles per week and weight/strength training 2 days per week and usually take one day off. I have trouble getting under 173 unless I really focus on diet. The problem is with so much endurance training - I need the calories or I feel like crap while riding.

But the short answer is - really really focus on diet. And intervals.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, diet is certainly key, But -- I have made a conscious effort to eat boatloads of fiber, stay away from too much red meat, and keep my calorie intake at 2,100, or less, which is my burn rate, as I understand it, for my age, weight, height and very active lifestyle. Guess I have to try 1,800 or so and see if that works. Then again, maybe I am losing teh way I am supposed to lose, 2-3 lbs a month.

Globe: Congrats on your weight loss, impressive.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
Yeah, diet is certainly key, But -- I have made a conscious effort to eat boatloads of fiber, stay away from too much red meat, and keep my calorie intake at 2,100, or less, which is my burn rate, as I understand it, for my age, weight, height and very active lifestyle. Guess I have to try 1,800 or so and see if that works. Then again, maybe I am losing teh way I am supposed to lose, 2-3 lbs a month.

Globe: Congrats on your weight loss, impressive.

thanks,

Stu, have you put on much since I saw you? 3 lbs a month should be good for you, no?

also, the shape of the calories, as much as that sounds like voodoo, seems to work. 50 % protein, 25 each carbs and fats has been very good to me.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
thanks,

Stu, have you put on much since I saw you? 3 lbs a month should be good for you, no?

also, the shape of the calories, as much as that sounds like voodoo, seems to work. 50 % protein, 25 each carbs and fats has been very good to me.

I was pretty trim when you saw me, for me, which is about 185 or so. Problem is I fluctuate, and if I don't watch it I get up to 205-207 pretty quickly. That is not huge for5' 10" but it brings other problems with blood pressure and cholesterol, plus I feel like **** at that weight.

I'll try the calorie shape thing and see if I get some more results. BTW: You coming to NY City anytime soon?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Jogging sucks.

ooh, disagree. Love jogging.

...Stu, plateaus are normal because your body adapts to the specific stress you put upon it. If you swim 2,000 meters at a steady state, your body adapts to handle this particular load as efficiently as possible. At this point, you probably ought to work in some additional training, or different training like a different stroke, or speed intervals, or something else to change the demands you're putting on your body - and force it to adapt again.

Conversely, if you've been at it for a few months now and not had a rest...take a week off and see what happens. You may be tipping into overtraining.

Also, diet is essential, but it sounds like you're on the right track. As for rate of loss, the last numbers I heard (years ago) indicated that roughly 1 lb/week is the upper limit for 'durable' weight loss - anything more than that can trigger a sort of starvation mode, where your body perceives a sort of famine, and starts storing whatever it can - and then some more when you start feeding freely again.

Still, congratulations on your results so far, and good luck in your future efforts.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stu
BTW: You coming to NY City anytime soon?

nothing planned, but you never know. nothing calling you to the second city?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
ooh, disagree. Love jogging.
If the choice were jog or don't exercise, I would never exercise.

giraffe lookout

Reaction score
Yeah it sounds like you might want to mix it up. Maybe try jumping rope for 10-15 minutes instead of the 1.5 miles on the treadmill. Running outside would also be an option.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I'm assuming that you don't swim the same workout every time, but if you do, you shouldn't.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads