• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweet ass ergonomic chairs?

Brian SD

Reaction score
I was looking for an ergonomic task chair (the one I currently use has me in pain after 10 minutes of sitting in the computer).

Anyone have any recommendations? I prefer cloth seating and I really like mesh. Obviously the Herman Miller Aeron is a great choice but it's far out of my price range.

I was looking around and decided this one would be a good deal for me:

http://www.fotoconnection.com/viewit...RefTag=froogle

Any comments or suggestions?

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe it's possible to find used Aeron chairs for cheap?

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Teknion Contessa is a little bit - albeit not much - cheaper than the Aeron, better looking (IMO; at least it is available in more colorways), has options like a headrest and a seatback valet, and uses an adjustable bottom cushion instead of HM's annoying A/B/C sizing. I don't know if it's still out of budget, considering the chair you posted, but if you can find one on Craigslist or something within your budget I'd jump at it.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Wow, the Teknion Contessa looks amazing. That is one nice looking chair. I'll see what kind of prices I can get.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Sweet Ass would be a great name for an ergonomic chair company

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I missed the huge sell-offs of Aerons after the dot-com bust. My friend nabbed one for $50.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I was looking about a year ago, the going rate for Aerons on ebay was about $400 for a used base model. I lucked out and found within 2 minutes of the auction posting someone who was unaware of the going rate and had an Aeron up for $200 BIN. Those are pretty few and far between.

And you're right about the mesh. It's probably contributes more to my comfort than any other single feature because I'm one of those people who prefers office A/C about 10 degrees colder than it ever is.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I see. Thanks for the input. So far no luck for me. There's a used one on eBay already hitting $500.

I'll keep trying.

Hanseat

Reaction score
The norwegian company HAG has some nice one's.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll post one negative for the Aeron. We had them where I used to work, and I'm glad I didn't pay for it. I have a history of lower back spasms, and this was, bar none, the most uncomfortable chair I've ever sat in. Perhaps I just wasn't adjusting it correctly, but I couldn't stand it. Just exacerbated my back problems.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I went to DWR and tried out the Aeron. It's seriously great. I could sit in that all day. It should last a good decade, right? There's one on eBay that's LOCAL PICKUP ONLY. Lucky for me, it just happens to be in San Diego.
smile.gif
I suspect I may be the only bidder on this one, and if so it will put me back $400.. which is manageable, only becuase it's such a good chair (and retails at double that price).

visionology

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FIHTies
Sort of Like "Design within reach" for your wallet.

Hefty price tags there.

Worth it?

I like to look at their things and then try to find them cheaper elsewhere, but it is nice to have a website that has a bunch of nice stuff all together to get ideas from. The prices are on the retailish side. Some of the stuff is pretty crazy, like $1500 lamps, most of them are associated with specific designers hence the premiums. It's like paying $10,000 for a Hermes bag when it is just a bag.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads