1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sweet ass ergonomic chairs?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Brian SD, May 16, 2006.

1. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Wow, really like that chair and never heard of it before. Wish I could find it cheaper, lowest I can find is around $800 which is quite a bit for me.

Contessa was my first choice. It's a really nice chair, but yea, very expensive. No luck on a Life chair yet, eh?

2. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Wow, really like that chair and never heard of it before.
    Shoulda read the first couple posts of this thread! [​IMG]
    Can't help you there. I sold the Freedomchair I bought for my old office on Craigslist recently - one plus about the FC is that every current TV show seems to be using them, so resale value is very high - but the Contessa I'm taking with me. Even absent resale-value concerns, I objectively prefer the Contessa after 2 years of living with both.

3. visionology

visionology Senior member

Yeah I just saw that before you posted, this thread is really old so forgot the first couple pages [​IMG] I don't like the Freedom chair at all because of it's lack of control. I know that is the point but I have a similar chair now with very few controls and it isn't a computer working chair at all because lifting your hands to do work on the computer seems to off balance the point of the chair and I end up slouching. I need a locking back really for my neck. I never think about resale with chairs because when I find a chair I like I typically keep it forever or until it breaks and many of the high end chairs have a lifetime warranty on many major parts. The Contessa reminds me a bit of the Leap chair but for me with the huge bonus of the neckrest. I can't believe more chairs don't at least have the option to add one.

4. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I never think about resale with chairs because when I find a chair I like I typically keep it forever or until it breaks and many of the high end chairs have a lifetime warranty on many major parts.

Just pointing out that a Contessa isn't likely to have good resale value because nobody knows what it is. They haven't revved up the hype machine as much as most of the other players in the market to.

I've owned three good task chairs so far. I bought an Aeron for very little during the dot-com bust, and sold it after grad school. I ended up selling that chair and making good money on it, too. When I moved down here I bought the Contessa for home and the FC for my office. Had I liked the FC better, I would've sold the Contessa even though even at very little difference from what I paid I found a buyer for the FC within hours of posting my CL ad.

I think it's more comfortable than the Steelcase Leap, though certainly other people may have other opinions there.

5. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Are there any mid-range models that are worthwhile? Say, in the $300 range.

6. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

7. visionology

Here's a Knoll life chair for $75 with some cosmetic flaws (sounds fixable):

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/fur/358818334.html

I saw that the other day, too bad he doesn't have a pic of the real chair. I think Knoll specifically makes this chair easy to update in the cushion part, not sure about the rear.

8. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

Wow, really like that chair and never heard of it before. Wish I could find it cheaper, lowest I can find is around $800 which is quite a bit for me.

There are a few of them on eBay right now for $585 obo. I've e-mailed the seller to see if there are any with matte silver frames, because I could use a second for my fiancee.

Now, I wouldn't buy a task chair without auditioning it first, and if you're the same way it doesn't matter how cheap it is. But there are people on this forum who pay lots of money for suits and even shoes on patterns/lasts they're unfamiliar with, so if you're in that group it's a great price.

9. visionology

I noticed that one too, $499 OBO which is about the same as the Knoll Life I was looking at online. The advantage of the Teknion is that you can add a headrest if needed (albeit it costs ~ $100 more to do so).

I prefer the silver frames as well to the black, the Knoll has the silver, not sure about the Teknion. Maybe I'll ask a few questions as well. Only downside is his very limited Ebay history with already 1 disputed offer.

10. thepataphysician

thepataphysician Senior member

I like the knoll pollack chair. not only is it very comfortable, but its classic looks are much better than any of those dotcom bust chairs.

11. visionology

I don't think you can call the Knoll Pollack ergonomic though, from what I've seen it doesn't support any part of your body well, doesn't help with fatigue in the workplace, doesn't have high back or neck support, and offers very little control.

It's good looking though, although looks mean very little when you have a disk problem in your neck.

12. Kent Wang

I just bought an Aeron and a matching Herman Miller conventional chair (non-swiveling or tilting) off of Craigslist for $200.

13. visionology

Wow great deal, what was the condition?

14. Kent Wang

I just bought an Aeron and a matching Herman Miller conventional chair (non-swiveling or tilting) off of Craigslist for $200.

15. Andrew Chuckas

Andrew Chuckas New Member

Hello Everyone,

I work for a Furniture Company and I sit in a Teknion Contessa everyday. We sell new and used furniture and I have several Aeron Chairs come back, mostly damaged after a few years. I have to admit the Aeron was break through Technology about 12+ years ago but that is exactly what it is old technology.
    I recommend that you try the Teknion Contessa as it has all the functions easily accessible and warranteed for defects. Truthfully most people come in asking for the Aeron and 95% of the time walk out with the Contessa.

Check our our website for further information or email em for additional details. Our price on the chair is $699.00(we do offer volume discounting) and that is loaded with features. The Aeron for that price is a basic model.

I hope this helps anybody looking to choose between ergonomic seating.

16. livinlyf5

livinlyf5 New Member

I bought my first Aeron about 6 months ago and it was worth every penny. I'm a programmer so I usually spend all day in front of the computer and I get a lot of lower back pains when I go to bed. After buying my HM Aeron chair, I haven't had my pains since. It's a lot of money but it really is worth the investment because It'll last forever.

17. e54321

e54321 New Member

"Best way to improve your back is to get a comfortable officechairs!"

18. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

My office chair (well, leather reclining chair) just broke, so this topic has been useful.

Should I just buy an Aeron and get it over with? Pretty steep for a college student budget, but it lasts forever, apparently.

19. otc

otc Senior member

Yes and no.

If you can swing it, you might as well buy a good chair. It doesn't have to be an Aeron though. There have been some advances since the Aeron was released and other designs might fit you better.

While I haven't had a chance to sit in one for long periods of time, I like the HM Embody chair a lot. I never liked how tall/wide the back of the aeron is--the embody tapers off at the top and I feel like it gives me a lot more range of motion for my elbows/shoulders which are always banging into the sides of my aeron. Many other chairs with similar quality and warranty coverage are available as well.

The aeron is great, but if I had the choice (instead of just using the chair that my company standardized on), I don't think it is the chair I would end up with.

20. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

WTF, why would a college student need an Aeron chair. There's gotta be other priorities for your $$$$... tuition, books, booze, drugs, food, clothes, going out money, whatever. There are reasonably comfortable chairs for under $100 walking into your nearest staples or something.