• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swede question and shirt altercation question

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put fairly minimal thought into it. I have some cotton jackets that cost me over $1,000, and some leather jackets that cost me less than $1,000. I looked at the item and tried to figure out whether the price was worth paying given how it made me look and feel. Personally, I think this is the only sensible way to shop.
Okay, fine, but not really addressing my point and the OP’s question: why are suede jackets expensive? Material cost must matter in setting how low a manufacturer can go when pricing an item of clothing. If it were possible to make money selling cordovan shoes for $199 you can be sure someone would have done it by now. Similarly, if it were possible to turn a profit making and selling a suede jacket for $99 (plenty of cotton jackets for that price) you would see Spier & Mackay and the like doing just that. This has little to do with the upper bound of pricing, of course.

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh the Swede! This guy?

983191d13d1a5cbc6d23ca0bdaac969c.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, fine, but not really addressing my point and the OP’s question: why are suede jackets expensive? Material cost must matter in setting how low a manufacturer can go when pricing an item of clothing. If it were possible to make money selling cordovan shoes for $199 you can be sure someone would have done it by now. Similarly, if it were possible to turn a profit making and selling a suede jacket for $99 (plenty of cotton jackets for that price) you would see Spier & Mackay and the like doing just that. This has little to do with the upper bound of pricing, of course.

Oh I see what you mean. Yes, I agree that materials put a lower bound on the price. Hard to have a quality cashmere or leather garment below a certain price point, but easier if the garment is made from cotton.

TheIronDandy

Reaction score

THe fabric is quite inexpensive to buy; any idea why the jackets are soo expensive?

That isn't suede. It's plastic made to look like suede. It's FAKE suede.

FAKE suede jackets are cheap, you can get one from Zara for around £50 or from H&M for the equivalent of $35. So you don't have to buy fake suede and make your own jacket to get it cheap, you can order it from the major fast fashion brands.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your post history suggests that you are trying to build a wardrobe by circumventing all the middlemen and designers, thus getting a quality wardrobe for less. I think you're making a mistake and you should just find quality shops staffed with good sales associates who can help you.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your post history suggests that you are trying to build a wardrobe by circumventing all the middlemen and designers, thus getting a quality wardrobe for less. I think you're making a mistake and you should just find quality shops staffed with good sales associates who can help you.
People all over the world still make their own clothes, including these friends of mine in a remote village in Ghana where I lived. (They don’t have electricity; the sewing machine has a foot pedal and the iron uses hot coals.)

If the OP knows how to make clothes and has the time and desire, I personally would not discourage it. That said, if the goal is only to save money it sounds like a poor “value proposition” given the time sink.

1639104012840.jpeg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People all over the world still make their own clothes, including these friends of mine in a remote village in Ghana where I lived. (They don’t have electricity; the sewing machine has a foot pedal and the iron uses hot coals.)

If the OP knows how to make clothes and has the time and desire, I personally would not discourage it. That said, if the goal is only to save money it sounds like a poor “value proposition” given the time sink.

View attachment 1717774

My impression is that the OP is not making these things himself, but giving them to a tailor, I assume the kind that says they can make anything. I think these things typically end poorly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads