• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sweatpants

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chronoaug
They can look good if they're the right sweatpants with the right outfit and the right "vibe". It definitely is much more difficult to pull off and look good but there isn't a "jeans always look better 100% every time" kinda thing. Maybe if you just swap sweatpants for jeans in a regular look but not true in all situations. I've seen them work and i've had situations where my own outfit or outfit idea would be enhanced by the right sweats in the right material/color/fit/drape.

Not sure why people like to be so vehemently opposed to things based on either archaic rules or the fact that unstylish people wear a similar item in a completely different way without any thought into it whatsoever. I see all kinds of awful outfits with dark jeans or with boat shoes or with chucks, etc... but that doesn't mean that a stylish person can't make those items work. If you are not stylish, creative, adventurous or don't have the rest of the wardrobe or desire to make certain items or looks work then that's your call. Let the other guys figure out how to make stuff look good so in a year or two you can follow them

Word to yo momma, most people are conflating all sweatpants into one group because of their lack of knowledge of nice ones that exist, it's like a sheep thing where they just follow other people's opposition against them. They're just soft pants in nice soft fabrics.

Can people who don't like the idea already stfu? I'm liking the wh ones which seem like the only alternative to lanvins that I wanted, dries did a velvet one that kuni gosurface kopped awhile back off yoox. Anymore recs before I get the wh?

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen these W+H sweats, james perse sweats, rrl sweats

no, **** 'em

they might be trying, they're not succeeding.

imo, making nice sweatpants is what schmoove and **** tried to do making "casual sneaker dress shoes" and bombed miserably. I'm not at all saying designers shouldn't give everything a shot, or try to break the rules or whatnot... I'm just saying good try, too bad you didn't succeed, try again in a couple of years if you want to test fate again.

Even nicelynice manages to look like an idiot when he wears sweats, and his fits are usually quite baller.

tbqh I think it's a combination of the material just being unsightly and there being nothing that really works well on the top or the bottom with them. Only once those things are developed will sweatpants designers have any of my attention.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
00240m-1.jpg
RunwayPicturesLanvinFall-Winter2-7.jpg

obedient-sons-japan-bblessing.jpg

undercoverdd.jpg
c0221505_19454861.jpg

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
facepalm.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
listi, you're roberting this thread let it go man you're not changing any minds

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm not going to count but i bet if i did

at least half of the people who posted in this thread thing sweatpants are dumb as **** but ya

i'm out of this thread now, you know where i stand. peace.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
just like those who say the same about raw denim or designer ish is dumb

we say the same about their jcrew chinese garbage

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought nicelynice's fit involving the W+H sweats, RO leather, and RO trainers looked better than the rigid raw denim, AA tee, and desert boot garbage that frequently receives a "pass" on this forum. Check out the denim thread on this forum to see what I'm talking about-- very boring, awkward, and uninspired stuff.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
just like those who say the same about raw denim or designer ish is dumb

we say the same about their jcrew chinese garbage

Well, you did used to say good things about Banana Republic yourself.
laugh.gif

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Listi
i'm not going to count but i bet if i did at least half of the people who posted in this thread thing sweatpants are dumb as **** but ya i'm out of this thread now, you know where i stand. peace.
You realize that most people even on this forum said this about skinny jeans like 5 years ago right? Not even like april77 joey superskin tight but like dior 19cm skinny. Not to mention that most the country feels that way about new standards. You just have justified and come to terms with skinny jeans. Can't say that sweats are different "well, because they're sweats and dumb" because people still think "because those jeans are for girls and gays not for real men". Nowadays people feel differently because jcrew, gq, how to make it in america, kanye, other internet resources, etc... have made it acceptable mainstream wise for guys to care about clothing and wear slim clothing. This forum is full of closed minded, boring, unstylish people who can barely dress themselves without a jcrew catalog or waywt copycatting who make wild claims like that and it doesn't make sense. Saying sweats isn't your thing is one thing but acting like they'll never look good no matter the context is a bit silly. After all, how different are they from normal trousers? What about knit trousers? Or a drapey (yet slim) soft trouser? It's easy to say sweats vs. jeans but what about when the line starts blurring? There is so much in the pant spectrum between APC New Standard and juicy sweats. People should loosen up. They'll probably enjoy clothing/fashion/style more btw, if you can't see that my posts in here are about a general clothing midset rather than purely sweatpants, that's unfortunate

Earnest Hemingway

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
someone should post that ARW fit with the aa slim fleece pants and the hightops

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Originally Posted by willy cheesesteak
BUT l WANT TO WEAR A UNlFORM.

I know. It's too difficult when there are seemingly infinite avenues for style/fashion/aesthetic/etc... I agree that it'd be easier if things were more cut and dry which is why i'm guessing people started inventing this world where there are "timeless" pieces that are instantly stylish and they'll never have to adjust or grow as humans as long as they blindly buy those pieces at age 20 and keep till 60. Despite what people think there are a variety of looks on SF (and sufu, sz, sartorialist, other blogs) and people exploring new avenues with every coming season. I for one enjoy seeing various nooks and crannys explored and made stylish

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads