• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweaters

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How do you wear a sweater over a shirt?

- Button down collars only?
- Shirt cuffs showing underneath sweater cuffs? How much shirt cuff showing?
- V-neck or crewneck?
- Shirt tails showing (shirt untucked) or no?

Please respond with thoughts and opinions.

Montecristo

BjornH

Reaction score
With jackets, I find that a v-neck is best and then with a button down preferably. Thicker crewnecks can take any shirt and not nescessarily a button down. If the collar is stiff enough and there is room for it to stand vertically along you neck then it won't pop out of the sweater.

In winter I wear mostly solid crewnecks and a patterned shirt beneath, usually with a Jermyn street type collar. I like showing some cuff but generally leave it to chance how much is showing.

A t-shirt/crewneck doesn't do it for me. My neck feels kind of naked and akward. Perhaps, I've got a freakishly long neck or perhaps I'm just too used to wearing shirts.

B

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I find I look a lot better with a collar as well.

I own almost no crewneck sweaters and I don't wear them with collared shirts. I can't stand the crewneck t-shirt under v-neck sweater thing. I don't have any buttondown collar shirts so sometimes I have to deal with the collar sticking out but as long as it is one that doesn't flatten out it looks okay, IMO.

DandySF

Reaction score
I've begun to favor crewnecks over Vs for a vanity-tinged reason. The crewneck creates the advantageous illusion of a slightly longer torso, whereas the V creates a distracting visual break. I also find that solids are more versatile than patterns, since I can pair them with a variety of patterened shirts.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
today i am wearing a charcoal wool v-neck.

over a lavendar polo shirt (RL, FWIW), with the top button fastened.

i feel okay about this choice, but not 100% satisfied. at least i am warm for the cool morning, but when it heats up to the 80's i'll be able to take the sweater off.

80's...in october. go figure.

/andrew

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If your wear anything under a sweater you look like a (replace chosen insult here).

No questions asked, even if it is a v-neck

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh and if it has to be the case, i.e. with a suit, then PLEASE always have the collar under a crewneck, or I will have to kill you if your collar is coming out.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i guess i'll leave my sweaters at home next time i visit surrey. my nipples can't handle scratchy wool.

Styleman

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
i guess i'll leave my sweaters at home next time i visit surrey. my nipples can't handle scratchy wool.
Cashmere/Cotton/Silk?
biggrin.gif

JuniorJetSet

Reaction score
If your wear anything under a sweater you look like a (replace chosen insult here). No questions asked, even if it is a v-neck
As someone who's been known to wear a lightweight turtleneck under a collared shirt under a sweater, that hurts.
lookaround.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Edit: Also, forgot to add - I never liked the look of wearing wool or cashmere collared sweaters over a collared shirt. Two collars laying on top of each other never did it for me. but, it has grown on me, and I wore one the other day like this. Again, I think this look looks best with a button down underneath.
I've worn this look on a number of occasions, and can be properly pulled off. I have also tried it with a tie and looked decently dressed, even though I was sans jacket.

Jon.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(zjpj @ 10 Oct. 2004, 10:17) Edit: Also, forgot to add - I never liked the look of wearing wool or cashmere collared sweaters over a collared shirt. Â Two collars laying on top of each other never did it for me. Â but, it has grown on me, and I wore one the other day like this. Â Again, I think this look looks best with a button down underneath.
I've worn this look on a number of occasions, and can be properly pulled off. I have also tried it with a tie and looked decently dressed, even though I was sans jacket. Jon.
carlo has posted a pic of just this look, sortof recently. dunno what to search for though.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's a fine cashmere sweater, why not wear it alone without shirt or t-shirt. I know the big thing in women's fashion this year is layers, but the masculine body benefits from a more minimalist silhouette.

Not a good look. You'll look like Simon off American Idol. Not a good look. There are good nipples (female) and bad ones.

As someone who's been known to wear a lightweight turtleneck under a collared shirt under a sweater, that hurts.

Not a good look unless you are, in fact, Alan Ginsberg. I suspect that you are not. An untucked, soft collared shirt (either buttoned down or not) under a sweater is fine, just don't pair with chinos unless you want to look... bad. A turtleneck under a sweater is okay if you are Starsky. Not okay if you are Hutch.

soccemel

Reaction score
I hate to add this in seemingly even post, but....

I think it really depends on your body type, especially the untucked shirttails extruding from under the sweater--it can make your legs look awfully short if you aren't careful. Also, a broad collared shirt extending over a V-neck can be a nice statement, even more so with a bold colored or patterned shirt. That said, I too am not a big fan of the collared shirt under the crewneck sweater and for that reason, as a business casual-required dresser, I own very few crewnecks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads