Sweaters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by montecristo#4, Oct 10, 2004.

1. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

How do you wear a sweater over a shirt?

- Button down collars only?
    - Shirt cuffs showing underneath sweater cuffs? How much shirt cuff showing?
    - V-neck or crewneck?
    - Shirt tails showing (shirt untucked) or no?

Please respond with thoughts and opinions.

Montecristo

2. BjornH

BjornH Senior member

With jackets, I find that a v-neck is best and then with a button down preferably. Thicker crewnecks can take any shirt and not nescessarily a button down. If the collar is stiff enough and there is room for it to stand vertically along you neck then it won't pop out of the sweater.

In winter I wear mostly solid crewnecks and a patterned shirt beneath, usually with a Jermyn street type collar. I like showing some cuff but generally leave it to chance how much is showing.

A t-shirt/crewneck doesn't do it for me. My neck feels kind of naked and akward. Perhaps, I've got a freakishly long neck or perhaps I'm just too used to wearing shirts.

B

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I find I look a lot better with a collar as well.

I own almost no crewneck sweaters and I don't wear them with collared shirts. I can't stand the crewneck t-shirt under v-neck sweater thing. I don't have any buttondown collar shirts so sometimes I have to deal with the collar sticking out but as long as it is one that doesn't flatten out it looks okay, IMO.

4. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

I've begun to favor crewnecks over Vs for a vanity-tinged reason. The crewneck creates the advantageous illusion of a slightly longer torso, whereas the V creates a distracting visual break. I also find that solids are more versatile than patterns, since I can pair them with a variety of patterened shirts.

5. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Senior member

today i am wearing a charcoal wool v-neck.

over a lavendar polo shirt (RL, FWIW), with the top button fastened.

i feel okay about this choice, but not 100% satisfied. at least i am warm for the cool morning, but when it heats up to the 80's i'll be able to take the sweater off.

80's...in october. go figure.

/andrew

6. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

If your wear anything under a sweater you look like a (replace chosen insult here).

No questions asked, even if it is a v-neck

7. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

Oh and if it has to be the case, i.e. with a suit, then PLEASE always have the collar under a crewneck, or I will have to kill you if your collar is coming out.

8. faustian bargain

i guess i'll leave my sweaters at home next time i visit surrey. my nipples can't handle scratchy wool.

9. Styleman

Styleman In Time Out

Cashmere/Cotton/Silk? [​IMG]

10. JuniorJetSet

JuniorJetSet Well-Known Member

As someone who's been known to wear a lightweight turtleneck under a collared shirt under a sweater, that hurts. [​IMG]

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I've worn this look on a number of occasions, and can be properly pulled off. I have also tried it with a tie and looked decently dressed, even though I was sans jacket.

Jon.

12. faustian bargain

(zjpj @ 10 Oct. 2004, 10:17) Edit: Also, forgot to add - I never liked the look of wearing wool or cashmere collared sweaters over a collared shirt. Â Two collars laying on top of each other never did it for me. Â but, it has grown on me, and I wore one the other day like this. Â Again, I think this look looks best with a button down underneath.
    I've worn this look on a number of occasions, and can be properly pulled off. I have also tried it with a tie and looked decently dressed, even though I was sans jacket. Jon.
    carlo has posted a pic of just this look, sortof recently. dunno what to search for though.

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

If it's a fine cashmere sweater, why not wear it alone without shirt or t-shirt. I know the big thing in women's fashion this year is layers, but the masculine body benefits from a more minimalist silhouette.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not a good look. You'll look like Simon off American Idol. Not a good look. There are good nipples (female) and bad ones.

Not a good look unless you are, in fact, Alan Ginsberg. I suspect that you are not. An untucked, soft collared shirt (either buttoned down or not) under a sweater is fine, just don't pair with chinos unless you want to look... bad. A turtleneck under a sweater is okay if you are Starsky. Not okay if you are Hutch.

15. soccemel

soccemel Member

I hate to add this in seemingly even post, but....

I think it really depends on your body type, especially the untucked shirttails extruding from under the sweater--it can make your legs look awfully short if you aren't careful. Also, a broad collared shirt extending over a V-neck can be a nice statement, even more so with a bold colored or patterned shirt. That said, I too am not a big fan of the collared shirt under the crewneck sweater and for that reason, as a business casual-required dresser, I own very few crewnecks.