• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweaters and sweater vests. Which are the best ones ?

sonnymooks

Reaction score
I've decided to invest in some new sweaters and sweater vests, but sadly, don't know a whole lot about them.

I don't know the best brands, though I have heard that Ballantyne and Loro Piana are well known and supposed to be high quality. I do not know what the highest brands are.

I was thinking of simply buying sweaters from the same companies that are known for their suits and shirts (kiton, brioni, Charvet or Turnbull & Asser), but I don't know if they actually are the best for these particular items.

Any sweater experts out there ? I believe, but may be wrong, that the best sweaters are made from cashmere, is this the case ? Are sweaters made from Egyptian cotton ? are there bespoke or made to measure sweaters ?

I would be most grateful for any assistance, advice or information that anyone may have....

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IIRC, Ballantyne has changed hands at least once in the past 5 years or so (?). I have a 1-ply cashmere Ballantyne turtleneck (from 2007) which I enjoy but I don't know much about their current offerings.

We'd be remiss in not mentioning Cucinelli when it comes to cashmere knits.

Also, if you can find it, Avon Celli is also very nice. I have two of their cashmere sweaters and wear the hell out of them.

Give a look at A Suitable Wardrobe's online store. Will has some very decadent knits for sale.

As for which type of sweater is "best" -- that's up to you. Cashmere, merino wool and lambswool all have different characteristics. Depending on what you want, any of them may be the "best".

sonnymooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
IIRC, Ballantyne has changed hands at least once in the past 5 years or so (?). I have a 1-ply cashmere Ballantyne turtleneck (from 2007) which I enjoy but I don't know much about their current offerings. We'd be remiss in not mentioning Cucinelli when it comes to cashmere knits. Also, if you can find it, Avon Celli is also very nice. I have two of their cashmere sweaters and wear the hell out of them. Give a look at A Suitable Wardrobe's online store. Will has some very decadent knits for sale. As for which type of sweater is "best" -- that's up to you. Cashmere, merino wool and lambswool all have different characteristics. Depending on what you want, any of them may be the "best".
I think I prefer Cashmere, I've always just kind of liked the feel of it, but don't know enough to form a solid opinion. I'm not farmiliar with cucinelli or Avon Celli, though recently I have been reading a little bit about Pringles, but I'm not sure how their quality stacks up to others, other then that its a very large company and they don't have a store in New York.

sonnymooks

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
IIRC, Ballantyne has changed hands at least once in the past 5 years or so (?). I have a 1-ply cashmere Ballantyne turtleneck (from 2007) which I enjoy but I don't know much about their current offerings.

We'd be remiss in not mentioning Cucinelli when it comes to cashmere knits.

Also, if you can find it, Avon Celli is also very nice. I have two of their cashmere sweaters and wear the hell out of them.

Give a look at A Suitable Wardrobe's online store. Will has some very decadent knits for sale.

As for which type of sweater is "best" -- that's up to you. Cashmere, merino wool and lambswool all have different characteristics. Depending on what you want, any of them may be the "best".

I've done some reading up....Where does one buy Avon Celli, at least here in New York ? I can't seem to find anything on them anywhere.

Cucinelli seems to look really good, and I have every intention of visiting his 2 stores here in the city.

ville_e

Reaction score
Ballantyne cashmere is fantastic quality and you'll find some really nice pieces. I'd definitely recommend it.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ff4marvel
No experience with them but I love the look of these Drakes sweater vests

Interesting. 275 pounds is about 425 bucks these days.

I offer the same vests from Colombo Cashmere for 300 full price and now 200 in 6 colors. No Pink though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics