• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Vests

The Dandy

Reaction score
While I know they aren't exactly high fashion these days, I'm rather fond of sweater vests. Does anyone know of a decent manufacturer of sweater vests? The only ones I've been able to find are simply horrendously ugly or of laughable quality.

acole

Reaction score
I just grabbed two in chocolate and "garden green" from Brooks Bros. clearance sale.  Decently soft lambswool for $35...their cashmere ones'll set ya back much more.  They had all sorts of colors/sizes when the sale began; now it's a bit picked over.  They appear to run a bit large, generally speaking, but consistent with other BB knitwear sizing.

I enjoy being able to wear a sweater vest under a sports coat and not develop gangrene in the arms like I do with a full sweater.  Not sure I'd wear one without the jacket, but I guess the option is there.

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
Peter Elliot in NYC stocks lovely sweater vests. I do not have the number handy, but its main store is at Madison Ave. and E. 81st St.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Land's End? I rather like their cashmere sweaters, and suspect that the vests are pretty good value.

DSM

Reaction score
Carrol & Co in LA has good, slimmer fitting lambswoll/cashmere alan pyne sweater vests. I recently bought two, which were not too long in lenght and were more fitted than others.

cuffthis

Reaction score
My collection of sweater vests. I wear these quite often in my business casual office. I usually wear a button down shirt under them and a sport jacket on top of the vest.
sweatervests6mx.jpg

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As suggested by cuffthis's post, Ralph Lauren makes some beautiful sweater vests. They often are available for next nothing on Ebay, even brand new.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL Polo and BB is probably your best bet. I have seen several from RLPL as well from time to time, usually on sale fro prices that are extremely below retail. Stores like Maus & Hoffman (through their catalogues / stores) offer a few every season as well.

I have 4 BB sweater pima cotton vests: Black, blue, tan, and green

One RLPL cashmere: Ribbed Tan

Lately (over the course of the year) my style has changed a bit and whilst I like vests, I find less and less occasions to use them, especially in hot and humid Florida.

I am still looking for the evasive button-up vest with pointed ends...

Jon.

mnemonic

Reaction score
laughable quality? check this masterwork out. sold. hats off, gentlemen.
9.jpg
-johnny- p.s. its the one on the bottom left, the checkered one.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I know they aren't exactly high fashion these days, I'm rather fond of sweater vests.  Does anyone know of a decent manufacturer of sweater vests?  The only ones I've been able to find are simply horrendously ugly or of laughable quality.
Andover shop has them on sale.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Go to any store that sells golf clothing - or pretty much any sporting goods store. They all generally sell sweater vests.

Bradford

Boulevardier

Reaction score
Robert Talbott made some exquisite sweater vests this season and last. A vest type sweater vest with five buttons and pointy bottom. Unfortunately for you I scarfed up all that I could find, thinking that I would never see them again. I am seeing that Talbott is doing them again this spring in summery colors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads