Sweater Vests

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The Dandy, Jan 29, 2005.

1. The Dandy

The Dandy Active Member

While I know they aren't exactly high fashion these days, I'm rather fond of sweater vests. Does anyone know of a decent manufacturer of sweater vests? The only ones I've been able to find are simply horrendously ugly or of laughable quality.

2. acole

acole Senior member

I just grabbed two in chocolate and "garden green" from Brooks Bros. clearance sale.  Decently soft lambswool for $35...their cashmere ones'll set ya back much more.  They had all sorts of colors/sizes when the sale began; now it's a bit picked over.  They appear to run a bit large, generally speaking, but consistent with other BB knitwear sizing.

I enjoy being able to wear a sweater vest under a sports coat and not develop gangrene in the arms like I do with a full sweater.  Not sure I'd wear one without the jacket, but I guess the option is there.

3. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member

4. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Peter Elliot in NYC stocks lovely sweater vests. I do not have the number handy, but its main store is at Madison Ave. and E. 81st St.

5. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Land's End? I rather like their cashmere sweaters, and suspect that the vests are pretty good value.

6. DSM

DSM Active Member

Carrol & Co in LA has good, slimmer fitting lambswoll/cashmere alan pyne sweater vests. I recently bought two, which were not too long in lenght and were more fitted than others.

7. cuffthis

cuffthis Senior member

My collection of sweater vests. I wear these quite often in my business casual office. I usually wear a button down shirt under them and a sport jacket on top of the vest. [​IMG]

8. kabert

kabert Senior member

As suggested by cuffthis's post, Ralph Lauren makes some beautiful sweater vests. They often are available for next nothing on Ebay, even brand new.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

RL Polo and BB is probably your best bet. I have seen several from RLPL as well from time to time, usually on sale fro prices that are extremely below retail. Stores like Maus & Hoffman (through their catalogues / stores) offer a few every season as well.

I have 4 BB sweater pima cotton vests: Black, blue, tan, and green

One RLPL cashmere: Ribbed Tan

Lately (over the course of the year) my style has changed a bit and whilst I like vests, I find less and less occasions to use them, especially in hot and humid Florida.

I am still looking for the evasive button-up vest with pointed ends...

Jon.

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Senior member

laughable quality? check this masterwork out. sold. hats off, gentlemen. [​IMG] -johnny- p.s. its the one on the bottom left, the checkered one.

11. Horace

Horace Senior member

Andover shop has them on sale.

12. Bradford

Bradford Current Events Moderator

Go to any store that sells golf clothing - or pretty much any sporting goods store. They all generally sell sweater vests.

Bradford

13. Boulevardier

Boulevardier Active Member

Robert Talbott made some exquisite sweater vests this season and last. A vest type sweater vest with five buttons and pointy bottom. Unfortunately for you I scarfed up all that I could find, thinking that I would never see them again. I am seeing that Talbott is doing them again this spring in summery colors.