• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Tuck

ALtoCG

Reaction score
I noted with interest a picture from the Sartorialist blog of a man with his sweater tucked into the front of his pants:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4...astianapr5.jpg

I've definitely perched sweaters above my belt, but I've never done much of a tuck because I thought it might look a bit too studied.

Any thoughts on ways to achieve the tuck with an appropriate nonchalance, and what brands of sweaters have enough of a tapered waist to avoid a big blousy mess?

And on a related note is anyone familiar with brands that cut sweaters without a full waist? I know a well-turned out fellow who swears by sweaters from Abercrombie and Fitch, of all places, because they are bit more snug around the waist.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have this thing that I do, which some people might consider stupid or unappealing or whatever, but I tuck the front of my sweater in under my belt. I think it looks pretty cool and nonchalant, but I could be wrong.

Edit: After re-reading my post it's kind of misleading. I took the sweater in from the bottom of my belt.

mbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ALtoCG
Any thoughts on ways to achieve the tuck with an appropriate nonchalance, and what brands of sweaters have enough of a tapered waist to avoid a big blousy mess?
That you are inquiring about methods to achieve nonchalance seems a bit odd. Nothing against you personally.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think he looks fine. I personally never tuck, as my sweaters go just at the belt for the most part.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
I have this thing that I do, which some people might consider stupid or unappealing or whatever, but I tuck the front of my sweater in under my belt. I think it looks pretty cool and nonchalant, but I could be wrong.

Edit: After re-reading my post it's kind of misleading. I took the sweater in from the bottom of my belt.

You mean, down between the belt and the pant? Or over the belt then tucked under it, so the belt is hidden? Either way, sounds like something no one over the age of 21 could get away with.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Or over the belt then tucked under it, so the belt is hidden?

This one. What do you mean by "get away with it" ? Haven't been arrested yet doing it.
confused.gif

Btw, I wear sweaters maybe 3 times a year.

stach

Reaction score
Works especially well if you are too thin.

southbound35

Reaction score
I think a thin sweater (merino, pima cotton, cashmere) can look nice tucked, especially on someone who is relatively fit in the midsection.

However, I think that particular sweater is a bit thick and winter-y for tucking.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
This one. What do you mean by "get away with it" ? Haven't been arrested yet doing it.
confused.gif

Btw, I wear sweaters maybe 3 times a year.

Yeah, who's to say who should wear what -- the "pushed down between the belt and pants" look in particular just seemed sort of collegiate as I was imagining it.

trogdor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mbc
That you are inquiring about methods to achieve nonchalance seems a bit odd. Nothing against you personally.

"It is an art which does not seem to be an art. One must avoid affectation and practice in all things a certain sprezzatura, disdain or carelessness, so as to conceal art, and make whatever is done or said appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it....obvious effort is the antithesis of grace."

Castiglione's Book of the Courtier

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ralph Lauren's models do it, and I think it looks great. I've never done it myself.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I've never been able to pull off the nonchalant tuck either
mad.gif

I have great respect for those who can.

Unfortunately, it seems very Carson Kressley/Queer Eye when I even try.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually tuck turtleneck and polo sweaters into flannel and corduroy trousers.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
"It is an art which does not seem to be an art. One must avoid affectation and practice in all things a certain sprezzatura, disdain or carelessness, so as to conceal art, and make whatever is done or said appear to be without effort and almost without any thought about it....obvious effort is the antithesis of grace."

Castiglione's Book of the Courtier

That kind of sounds like the people who are doing it though are trying to look nonchalant about it but are actually putting in great effort. It's also possible that some people just are nonchalant about it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics