1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sweater shrinkage

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JuniorJetSet, Oct 1, 2004.

1. JuniorJetSet

JuniorJetSet Well-Known Member

My mother recently sent me a knit wool turtleneck sweater she purchased from a going out of business sale. It is perfect except that it's about two sizes too big. I am wondering if I can shrink it by washing since it is now impossible to return? I just don't want to risk damaging it by runninig it in hot water What do you think?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. JuniorJetSet

3. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

The problem is that shrinking it will likely shrink the length in the body and arms so the sleeves will be too short. If you're trying for two sizes down, I'd probably give it to someone that size and get a different one. No sense ruining a perfectly good sweater.

4. gregory

gregory Senior Member

Sometime ago I wanted to shrink the collar of a sweater and a member of this forum suggested that I wet that particular part, lay it flat on a surface and "reshape" the collar using my hands. I tried it and it worked, but it may get larger again after several wearings.

5. JuniorJetSet

Thanks for suggestions, I might be able to get away with wearing it under a blzaer, but maybe a better alternative would be to try to sell it on Ebay.

6. Timothy

Timothy Senior Member

Why not wet the area you want to shrink with hot water and throw in the dryer if the water doesn't reduce it enough in size. The body might shrink in length, hopefully it will land at the waist still, but the arms won't be shrunk. Or you could take it to a tailor and see if they will be able to take it in at the side seems. I don't know why a good tailor couldn't alter it to your specifications.