• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sweater-shirt combinations

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with the fall season rapidly approaching, i thought it would be fun to start talking about sweaters. i love 'em. but what do you wear under them successfully?

the buttondown collar is an obvious choice. is the preferred sweater collar a crewneck, or a v-neck?

what about non-buttondown collars - does anyone wear them outside the sweater, or do they stay tucked under?

anyone wear polos with sweaters? thoughts on this look?

how about t-shirts. is the contrasting t-shirt/v-neck sweater combo too Gap-1990's? or is there a smarter update? is there any kind of jacket one can wear successfully over this combo?

and what's up with turtlenecks. are they fashion-forward, traditional, or both?

just some seeds to get a conversation started...talk amongst yourselves.

/andrew - waiting for winter

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
with the fall season rapidly approaching, i thought it would be fun to start talking about sweaters. i love 'em. but what do you wear under them successfully?

the buttondown collar is an obvious choice. is the preferred sweater collar a crewneck, or a v-neck?

what about non-buttondown collars - does anyone wear them outside the sweater, or do they stay tucked under?

anyone wear polos with sweaters? thoughts on this look?

how about t-shirts. is the contrasting t-shirt/v-neck sweater combo too Gap-1990's? or is there a smarter update? is there any kind of jacket one can wear successfully over this combo?

and what's up with turtlenecks. are they fashion-forward, traditional, or both?

just some seeds to get a conversation started...talk amongst yourselves.

/andrew - waiting for winter
Button-down shirts are a classic combo with sweaters, very east-coast prepster.

I usually wear a standard-collar shirt with a slim sweater, and I wear the collar outside the sweater rather than tucked in. I sometimes take a solid color sweater and wear a bold striped shirt under for just a touch of 'show'...also I wear some more conservative striped or checked shirts.

Polos can be done under the sweater, but this is definitely much more casual than a nice dress shirt underneath.

The t-shirt under a sweater look is okay, I prefer a collared shirt though. I'd definitely avoid a plain white shirt under a dark collar sweater - looks too much like an undershirt, and VERY reminiscent of mid 90's Gap. Try a bolder color.

Turtleneck sweaters will always be classic. However, those thicker cotton ones also look mid 90's Gap. The thin black cashmere or wool/cashmere/silk blend turtleneck is a classic staple item...but I still prefer a crewneck or v-neck.

kidkim2

Reaction score
I concur with VersaceMan, and would add a vote for buttoning the polo shirt all the way up--at least some of the time. I started doing this when throwing a sportcoat on over the shirt and sweater. Couldn't stand the unruliness of the unbuttoned polo's collar. Moreover, the unbuttoned collar has a tendency to sneak out over the sweater--or, worse yet, lapels--emiting IMHO the too-wholesome scent of "plastic shirt protector."

Andrew V.

Reaction score
My favorite sweater look is a non-buttdown collar under a v-neck. I used to wear lots of polos, crew-neck t-shirts, and v-neck t-shirts under v-neck sweaters, but I'm not sure that I like that look very much any more (you should have seen my polo with cardigan phase).

I do wear crew-neck t-shirts under crew-neck sweaters and half-zip-mock sweaters, but that's strictly an un-dressy look for me.

At the moment I'm hankering after a particular light-blue dress shirt and brown v-neck sweater that I saw on display together.

Turtlenecks require more attractive necks and chins than mine.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Both button down and straight collars under crew neck sweaters work well. BD is neater. Wearing the collar out is less accepted.

I personally think V neck sweaters demand a tie. I won't wear them. Too hot under a jacket and who wears ties without jackets?

Turtlenecks and mocs are a nice look if one avoids the U-boat commander look.

Best under a jacket are sweater vests, again in my opinion. Unfortunately, it's almost impossible to find crew necked versions but a single ply crew neck sweater with sleeves may be OK under a jacket if you're not in over heated rooms.

Will

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.