• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater over Dress Shirt...

ShaOwned

Reaction score
So recently I've been digging the sweater over dress shirt style. I'll wear it with either jeans or casual slacks... However, I have a few questions. Should I roll up the sleeves or not? Shirt tucked or untucked? Overall...is this working? I'll attach a pic for reference. http://i52.tinypic.com/2wew202.jpg

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My only suggestions are to keep your shirt tucked in underneath. Also french cuffs probably won't work. I'm sort of iffy about the collar being out of the sweater, try it inside and see which look you prefer.

Vecna

Reaction score
Untucked is more casual. Rolled is a matter of taste. Do what looks good for the situation/shirt/taste. In my personal opinion, the shirt you're wearing is too long to leave untucked, I'd tuck it in.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just tuck in your damn shirt. Anything else is probably fine, but an untucked shirt simply looks sloppy.

Althis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only really like it with button down collars to ensure that the collar doesn't splay out.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweater over Dress Shirt... I don't like this look, when I see someone do it it looks like they are trying too hard. Why not just wear the sweater and leave the dress shirt in the closet.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
Sweater over Dress Shirt... I don't like this look, when I see someone do it it looks like they are trying too hard. Why not just wear the sweater and leave the dress shirt in the closet.

Worked for this guy....

onslow.jpg

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wear dress shirt with V or Crew necks. Tucked 99.999%. Rolled or not is really up to the temperature. [Edit] Didn't realize there was actual image. Cuff is too neat. Rought it up some
smile.gif
Just fold the cuff over the tip of the sweater and push it up your arm. Otherwise looks fine.

yates

Reaction score
The sleeves look good rolled up, cuffs look fine. I will echo the sentiment about the shirt. I would suggest a shorter shirt or tucking it in.

GSquared

Reaction score
I wear this a lot. My suggestions are to tuck it in for sure (looks more polished) and also to leave the sleeves down. If at the end of the night you are playing pool or it gets hot in a bar, roll them up. Another thing that I like is to use it under a quarter zip sweater (patagonia has a nice one). I also prefer not to have any sort of pattern in my sweater and a VERY limited if any pattern in my shirt. Looks cleaner to me.

otoolehouse

Reaction score
That look definitely works for you! Judging by your personal appearance, I recommend tucking the shirt. Just because with your handsome/ smart looking haircut and glasses, the tucked shirt matches with that more. Untucked is slightly sloppy and could only be appropriately practiced by someone with a sloppier/ more rugged looking hair style and unshaven face.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads