• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Fit

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After buying two sweaters off the B&S and utterly failing in fit, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to brands of slim fitting sweaters, especially at the waist.

I bought a navy argyle Vneck which is an ok fit but a tad blousy at the waist. Same with the Light blue vneck, both size small.

Banana Republic Sweater is ok, olive green, still would like it to be slimmer at the waist, funny thing is i found a nice fitting one at their store the other day....

Im looking into the Polo Vneck size Smalls but have yet to try them on.

I am 5'8-5'8.5, waist 28-29. I usually wear small in all brands so I guess that means size 38" chest.

Any brands/suggestions?

Thanks!!

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find a Reiss near you, they make very good fitted sweaters from excellent materials that aren't too expensive. The 100% wool v's I have retail around 130, often marked down to 85 and, if you can manage to wait it out till the big sales, you can cop 45 bucks!.

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jcrew sized down would be way too short in length, the small is already kind of short in length.

Also i dont know what Reiss is..and there is not one near me =(

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Mall brand sweaters don't fit too well no matter what you do.

starcrash

Reaction score
Take them to a tailor. Everyone's proportions are different which is why mall brands cut everything huge.

I bought an old Singer sewing machine and spent a few days learning to use it. Now my sweaters fit perfectly (even mall brands). My valuables go to a proper tailor.

Taking in the sides of a shirt or sweater is really easy once you learn how to pin it right.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
If you can find a Reiss near you, they make very good fitted sweaters from excellent materials that aren't too expensive. The 100% wool v's I have retail around 130, often marked down to 85 and, if you can manage to wait it out till the big sales, you can cop 45 bucks!.

+1. Reiss sweaters are cut great, nice and slim. They fit oodles better than my sized down J Crew.

Think I'll head over there tonight, as a matter of fact.

95///M3

Reaction score
I have a red Black Fleece v neck sweater in size 1 that I will be listing for sale. Very slim fitting. 100% cashmere.

$190

Dashaansafin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reiss sounds great but I go to school in the middle of nowhere....

and 190$ for a college student is just too much for me sorry...

And how much would it cost at a tailor to take the sides in?

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by starcrash
Take them to a tailor. Everyone's proportions are different which is why mall brands cut everything huge.

I bought an old Singer sewing machine and spent a few days learning to use it. Now my sweaters fit perfectly (even mall brands). My valuables go to a proper tailor.

Taking in the sides of a shirt or sweater is really easy once you learn how to pin it right.

Suggestions on learning how to sew? Links to books/reference materials? Did you have previous hand-sewing background? How long would it take to learn how to do basic alterations?

spertia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the best quality, but I have found that Ted Baker sweaters have a really nice, slim fit. You can get NWT cashmere ones (granted, made in China) on ebay for about $50.

starcrash

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bluemagic
Suggestions on learning how to sew? Links to books/reference materials? Did you have previous hand-sewing background? How long would it take to learn how to do basic alterations?
No hand-sewing background (except I recently made a couple of pocket squares which is harder than it looks).

I spent literally only a few days sewing together bits of paper and watching "how to" videos on YouTube before I attempted my first shirt (which I effed up royally). After a few more attempts, I was easily able to take a shirt in on the sides and raise the arm holes. Trousers and jeans are fairly simple as well.

The basic idea is that you turn it inside out, pinch the extra fabric, pin it, sew it, turn it back out and try it on. If it's wrong, rip out the seam with a seam ripper (the tailor's cntrl+z) and try it again. As far as sweaters, I wouldn't attempt to do a chunky cable knit, but I've done normal cotton or wool sweaters.

I'm definitely no expert tailor, but it's actually fun and pretty satisfying to alter your own clothes. Plus, it saves you a lot of dough.

bohemianmidnight

Reaction score
H&M merino wool v-neck size S or M. I'm 5'8, 130 and the S fits perfect. skinny arms, high arm-holes, etc. and is tight at the waist. Plus they are only $30 and the quality is probably on par with Jcrew or BR(it's fairly decent quality compared to low end stuff at least).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads