• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweater Fit Advice

shibbel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Club Monaco is actually owned by Ralph Lauren, doesn't get much more American than that. For the price, you can get some pretty nice basics in terms of fit and quality (bit better than JCrew). In addition to the sales, students with school IDs get 20% off.

In regards to the sweaters pictured- if you end up swimming in a small, haven't you answered your own question? Stick with the xs.

bare bodkin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dsoren
Never heard of SNS Herning before. Just pulled them up and, in additon to the price, their styles seem a bit odd. The only cardigans I see button from the neck to the bottom. Is that just their thing? Maybe it is just the way it is pictured that seems gross to me.

I do have a Wings & Horn hoodie on my Christmas list though...

Check it out:

stark-cardigan-black.jpg

You don't think that's a good look? As you can see, you don't have to button it all the way up to your eyeballs.

Really really want one for myself.

dsoren

Reaction score
I think I answered my question with all of the trouble I just had taking it off. I am going to return it for a small. I think I am going to stick with the toggle sweater in XS though. I think that my problem in the past has been that I have bought cotton cashmere instead of merino or cashmere, which tends to stretch more it seems.

@Bodkin - that sweater does look pretty good in this picture. On their online store they didn't show it on a model, so it looked odd. Would be great with an oxford underneath and some more buttons undone. Looks like they are in $300 range. That weight may not be too practical for where I live though, especially at that price point.

300zx1985

Reaction score
Agreed on the Club Monaco suggestions. I tried on several marino wool sweaters yesterday and found they run slim and long - a medium seemed a tad long on me being 5'11. And the brand has a far from eurotrashy appearance... quite the contrary.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
imo a sweater should be comfortable without being too large or too snug, but I'd rather have one a little large than too small. Yours (o.p.) look too small. They look uncomfortable. Go up one size.

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually think the fit looks fine. If the cashmere v-neck is fairly thin, then it's probably best to keep the fit slim. A chunkier sweater, like the cardigan, could work up a size, but the only way to really know is to go try on the larger size. But if the sweaters feel comfortable then you're probably ok.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I see you really seem to enjoy the styling that jcrew advocates.

You will fit in nicely in the jcrew thread.

MrLlama

Reaction score
hey OP, i was checking the jcrew website for that particular cardigan.. i cannot find it, any suggestions?

dsoren

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrLlama
hey OP, i was checking the jcrew website for that particular cardigan.. i cannot find it, any suggestions?

It seems that it has been removed from the website. Isn't even in the sale section.

My local J. Crew had several of them left the other day; but they are probably going to be gone soon as J. Crew is beginning to phase out the winter collection. According to the people at my local store, they are getting resort collection pieces in on Wednesday! Crazy!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads