• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sweat Stains: Is there a product or better to throw away the shirt?

mr.invincible

Reaction score
there are some shirts that I just want to keep but it has developed a very stained spot in the armpits and the ring collar. The worst shows up on blue oxfords, which are my favorite type of shirts to wear. I usually buy mine from uniqlo, but instead of buying them all the time, i just want to know what's a good product out there that I can use once in a while to prevent and remove sweat stain build up. so the questions I have are:

• I usually wear undershirts to prevent sweat and stains yet my shirts still have sweat stains build ups, what gives?
  • what is a good solution or product that prevents and removes stains from the armpit and collar?
  • Is there a product that can remove 2-3 years of sweat stains from shirts or is it better to just donate the shirt?

jts287

Reaction score
I've tried Scotchgard, vinegar, oxyclean, spray n wash, etc, but I've had the best luck with a Fels Naptha bar, possibly because I've been able to really grind it in there. $5 for a bar that lasts forever- give it a shot before trashing your shirts.
I haven't had issues with the pits, but washing your neck daily will help with the ring around the collar because it removes the dried sweat and dead skin. I will say that I use Arm & Hammer Naturals deodorant (no aluminum). I had some Schmidt's before, but it gave me a rash.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Following up on Veremund's post: Aluminum is the primary ingredient used in antiperspirents. The chemical reaction is what causes pit stains. I've never seen an antiperspirent that doesn't have it. If, however, you switch to a deoderant without antiperspirent (Dove + men care makes one) that will solve the it stain issue. I switched about 6 months back and have had no staining issues since. The neck is another matter though. I don't have a good solution for that one (I no longer wear a tie so I don't have my collar buttoned on a daily basis).

mr.invincible

Reaction score
I actually use Schmidt's now but i think it still stains. it sounds strange, but i was wearing an undershirt and it still stained on my uniqlo carefree shirt (blue). very very strange how that still happened. unless i was perspiring like crazy and it basically soaked through?

toplel

Reaction score
Firstly, switch to an aluminium-free deodorant. That will prevent future stains going forward.

Terrible idea that's the only ingredient that works.

Perhaps European women like that rank armpit smell, North American women do not.

Answrme2000

Reaction score
there are some shirts that I just want to keep but it has developed a very stained spot in the armpits and the ring collar. The worst shows up on blue oxfords, which are my favorite type of shirts to wear. I usually buy mine from uniqlo, but instead of buying them all the time, i just want to know what's a good product out there that I can use once in a while to prevent and remove sweat stain build up. so the questions I have are:

• I usually wear undershirts to prevent sweat and stains yet my shirts still have sweat stains build ups, what gives?
  • what is a good solution or product that prevents and removes stains from the armpit and collar?
  • Is there a product that can remove 2-3 years of sweat stains from shirts or is it better to just donate the shi
First don't use bleach on sweat stains you will make them permament. Second, those stains are mineral deposits of Aluminium Chlorohydrate mixing with your sweat and ruining your clothing (pits, collars, socks). You can get rid of them with RAISE Armpit Stain Remover. They have their own site or you can find it on amazon and they have a money back guarantee. Treat the clothing, let sit for a few minutes and then launder as usual. It works!! I use it because I create stains pretty quickly and it is a life saver.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrible idea that's the only ingredient that works.

:facepalm: Pretty sassy for a guy who doesn’t know what an overcoat is. :lol:

Aluminium may be necessary in anti-perspirants, but it’s not necessary at all in anti-deodorant.

Last edited:

Answrme2000

Reaction score
:facepalm: Pretty sassy for a guy who doesn’t know what an overcoat is. :lol:

Aluminium may be necessary in anti-perspirants, but it’s not necessary at all in anti-deodorant.
Bleach reacts with the proteins in sweat stains and makes them darker and permanent.

QP3

Reaction score
Aluminum is needed to prevent you from perspiring, but is not the only way to stop odor. If you're willing to allow your body to sweat the way it's supposed to, you can use a non-aluminum deodorant (kills the smell, not the perspiration itself). I use alum, you can buy "crystal" deodorant that will basically last forever and does what it's supposed to - let's your body perspire naturally but without any odor.

StylishMica

Reaction score
Firstly, switch to an aluminium-free deodorant. That will prevent future stains going forward.

I definitely agree with using a aluminum free deodorant. When I have to get out yellow stains from white shirts I usually blend water and baking soda together and let it sit four about an hour to an hour and a half. Letting it sit for a long time really helps get the stain out.

Wilson13

Reaction score

• Is there a product that can remove 2-3 years of sweat stains from shirts or is it better to just donate the shirt?

I have had success removing pit stains with this product:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads