Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sweat Stains: Is there a product or better to throw away the shirt?

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by mr.invincible, May 13, 2018.

1. mr.invincible

mr.invincible Senior Member

there are some shirts that I just want to keep but it has developed a very stained spot in the armpits and the ring collar. The worst shows up on blue oxfords, which are my favorite type of shirts to wear. I usually buy mine from uniqlo, but instead of buying them all the time, i just want to know what's a good product out there that I can use once in a while to prevent and remove sweat stain build up. so the questions I have are:

• I usually wear undershirts to prevent sweat and stains yet my shirts still have sweat stains build ups, what gives?
    • what is a good solution or product that prevents and removes stains from the armpit and collar?
    • Is there a product that can remove 2-3 years of sweat stains from shirts or is it better to just donate the shirt?

2. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

Firstly, switch to an aluminium-free deodorant. That will prevent future stains going forward.

3. Veremund

And I use this stuff too. Different brand, same concept. Works great.

4. jts287

jts287 Member

I've tried Scotchgard, vinegar, oxyclean, spray n wash, etc, but I've had the best luck with a Fels Naptha bar, possibly because I've been able to really grind it in there. $5 for a bar that lasts forever- give it a shot before trashing your shirts.
    I haven't had issues with the pits, but washing your neck daily will help with the ring around the collar because it removes the dried sweat and dead skin. I will say that I use Arm & Hammer Naturals deodorant (no aluminum). I had some Schmidt's before, but it gave me a rash.

Last edited: May 13, 2018

5. chrisalex088

chrisalex088 New Member

yes bro there is a much better way for all this, try kinetik compression gear. swiss innovated technology, and expo winner of 2018 .. they can solve all you issues..

Last edited: May 13, 2018

6. johng70

johng70 Senior Member

Following up on Veremund's post: Aluminum is the primary ingredient used in antiperspirents. The chemical reaction is what causes pit stains. I've never seen an antiperspirent that doesn't have it. If, however, you switch to a deoderant without antiperspirent (Dove + men care makes one) that will solve the it stain issue. I switched about 6 months back and have had no staining issues since. The neck is another matter though. I don't have a good solution for that one (I no longer wear a tie so I don't have my collar buttoned on a daily basis).

7. mr.invincible

mr.invincible Senior Member

I actually use Schmidt's now but i think it still stains. it sounds strange, but i was wearing an undershirt and it still stained on my uniqlo carefree shirt (blue). very very strange how that still happened. unless i was perspiring like crazy and it basically soaked through?

8. Veremund

It has been known to happen. :-(

9. toplel

toplel Senior Member

Terrible idea that's the only ingredient that works.

Perhaps European women like that rank armpit smell, North American women do not.

10. Answrme2000

Answrme2000 New Member

11. Veremund

:facepalm: Pretty sassy for a guy who doesn’t know what an overcoat is. :lol:

Aluminium may be necessary in anti-perspirants, but it’s not necessary at all in anti-deodorant.

Last edited: May 14, 2018 at 9:26 PM

12. Answrme2000

Answrme2000 New Member

Bleach reacts with the proteins in sweat stains and makes them darker and permanent.

13. QP3

QP3 Member

Aluminum is needed to prevent you from perspiring, but is not the only way to stop odor. If you're willing to allow your body to sweat the way it's supposed to, you can use a non-aluminum deodorant (kills the smell, not the perspiration itself). I use alum, you can buy "crystal" deodorant that will basically last forever and does what it's supposed to - let's your body perspire naturally but without any odor.

14. sid11111

sid11111 Member

15. StylishMica

StylishMica Member

I definitely agree with using a aluminum free deodorant. When I have to get out yellow stains from white shirts I usually blend water and baking soda together and let it sit four about an hour to an hour and a half. Letting it sit for a long time really helps get the stain out.