• Welcome to the Styleforum Approved contest! This is a contest where everyone wins: in fact, every participant will get a (highly coveted) “Styleforum approved” bracelet to flaunt to your oblivious friends. The only thing you have to do is show appreciation for a member of the forum or an affiliate vendor.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Sweat in the seat: anyone else have this problem?

enarchay

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
541
Reaction score
0
Never really noticed this before. The semester recently started, and one of my classes has office chairs positioned at rows of tables. I find that after sitting down for 15 minutes or so, my ass gets sort of sweaty, and when I stand up I can notice a streak of sweat on the chair. I think this might be a combination of it still being somewhat hot outside, the fact that for this particular class I shower right before I leave (even though I shower with somewhat cold water), and the properties of the chair cushion. But in any case, it's really annoying: I don't want other people to notice sweat streaks on the chair, and I worry that it might show through my jeans (they feel slightly damp due to the sweat).

I don't really think this problem occurs the rest of the time unless it's really hot outside or something like that. But I hate the idea of looking unhygienic even though I'm taking showers right before I come into class.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? How do you deal with it?
 

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
4,972
Reaction score
101
Originally Posted by enarchay
Never really noticed this before. The semester recently started, and one of my classes has office chairs positioned at rows of tables. I find that after sitting down for 15 minutes or so, my ass gets sort of sweaty, and when I stand up I can notice a streak of sweat on the chair. I think this might be a combination of it still being somewhat hot outside, the fact that for this particular class I shower right before I leave (even though I shower with somewhat cold water), and the properties of the chair cushion. But in any case, it's really annoying: I don't want other people to notice sweat streaks on the chair, and I worry that it might show through my jeans.

I don't really think this problem occurs the rest of the time unless it's really hot outside or something like that.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me? How do you deal with it?


It probably doesn't show through your jeans, but your jeans may be a little damp. I sweat like a pig in class/outside an hour or two after any shower that isn't cold. Wear compression shorts/wicking underwear if it's a major issue to you. Otherwise gold bond kicks ass.
 

enarchay

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
541
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by HgaleK
It probably doesn't show through your jeans, but your jeans may be a little damp. I sweat like a pig in class/outside an hour or two after any shower that isn't cold. Wear compression shorts/wicking underwear if it's a major issue to you. Otherwise gold bond kicks ass.
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I've been actually glancing at other people's chairs to see if they had the same problem, and I didn't notice it. Really bugs me if I have to get up while other people are still sitting down. I actually think the sitting down for long amounts of time makes the sweating worse than if I were moving around. Maybe I'll give gold bond a try. Compression shorts/wicking underwear sounds overboard.
 

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
7,527
Reaction score
25
I highly recommend cold showers. Something about them seems to stick long after you're dried off. I have never been a super sweaty guy, but I usually sweat a little bit in pretty much any temperature above freezing. (I kept the A/C blasting on full during winter in Chicago, for instance). My resting body temp is at least a full degree above normal. All of this is very weird, given that I am very slim with almost no bodyfat.

Anyway, point is that I'm a hard person to stop from sweating at least somewhat. And cold showers seem to cut down significantly on my problem.
 

enarchay

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
541
Reaction score
0
Yeah, for that reason I already take cold showers. Hot showers make me sweat ridiculously afterward. But even with cold showers, I still sort of have this problem. Maybe even the cold shower contributes; I could experiment by taking a shower earlier.
 

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
7,527
Reaction score
25
Hot showers will have me sweating for hours afterward. I fucking hate it. So I feel ya on that.
 

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
2,664
Reaction score
349
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I highly recommend cold showers. Something about them seems to stick long after you're dried off. I have never been a super sweaty guy, but I usually sweat a little bit in pretty much any temperature above freezing. (I kept the A/C blasting on full during winter in Chicago, for instance). My resting body temp is at least a full degree above normal. All of this is very weird, given that I am very slim with almost no bodyfat.

Anyway, point is that I'm a hard person to stop from sweating at least somewhat. And cold showers seem to cut down significantly on my problem.


We're practically the same person.
 

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Joined
May 15, 2009
Messages
7,527
Reaction score
25
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
We're practically the same person.

I think it's a metabolic thing. The engine is burning pretty hot, so the internal body temp stays hot.
 

NoNothingGuy

Senior Member
Joined
Sep 24, 2009
Messages
187
Reaction score
3
I am a thin/fit guy who does a lot of running. My body is always hot. My wife complains that I am like sleeping next to a furnace. I just run hot. I chalk it up to metabolism. I have asked doctors, etc. Nothing scary, just run hot.

I was going to ask the OP if he is unusually stressed in this class, b/c I have noticed that I will definitely sweat more if I am in a tense situation... even if I am not noticeably nervous.

I have to consciously dress for business in the summer. I bought a nice pair of khaki, cotton pants that I was wearing until one particular meeting where the backs of my knees, up my thighs were another color entirely due to a very light layer of sweat caused by a long meeting (and leather chairs). Very embarrassing. I no longer wear them. I also try to avoid blue shirts in the summer without a sport coat/blazer.

This really only happens at work though, which leads me to believe it is related to stress. Not nervousness, per se, but the "in the zone" feeling that I get at work sometimes. Hard to explain.

On another note... I went to a meeting in a government office (Washington DC) one winter wearing a suit. I swear the heat was set to 85 degrees or higher. I thought I was having a hot flash. I was sweating my ass off, noticeably, even with an undershirt. I was very self conscious until I noticed that the well-dressed woman across the table had rather large sweat marks under her armpits.

When we left, my hair was wet in the front. Everyone was commenting on the heat though, we thought it might have been some kind of test.

I definitely failed the "never let them see you sweat" test.

From this post, you would think that I am a sweaty mess, but I am not. Honest. From time to time, it just happens.
 

Nosu3

Distinguished Member
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
3,269
Reaction score
43
The best thing you can do is slide off the chair, other than that I wouldn't worry about treating it. It's not going to show through your pants unless maybe you aren't wearing any underwear.
 

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 13, 2008
Messages
2,664
Reaction score
349
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
I think it's a metabolic thing. The engine is burning pretty hot, so the internal body temp stays hot.


Def. Like the guy above, my GF complains she can feel heat radiating off of me. If i do any type of activity i can feel heat coming off of me for a few hours afterwards as well.
 

justinx2009

New Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
My life story. I have the exact same problem. I slide off the seat in hopes of it wiping off. Feels like my ass is soaking wet after class. So embarrassing. I don't know if you can see it or not, but I've been wearing dark jeans every day now instead of my J.Crew shorts. Lol. AND I use gold bond......so I don't know what's up.
 

word

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 17, 2009
Messages
755
Reaction score
1
Slim or well fitted jeans and even chinos in the summer is asking for sweat problems. There's no space for air to circulate around your legs and ass. So when you sweat it just soaks your pants and can't evaporate off your skin to cool you down. Turns into a vicious cycle until you get the swamp ass. This is the main reason I wear boxers in hot weather.

I run hot like some of yall said. Don't even own a comforter. Just sheets.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Face Masks: Pick Your Favorite (Choose 2)

  • Disposable surgical mask

  • White cotton mask

  • Linen-lined mask

  • "Sartorial" mask made of suiting fabric

  • Patterned mask (checks, stripes, fun print, etc.)

  • Solid color silk mask

  • "Sartorial" mask made of tie fabric

  • Sports mask made of synthetic fabric

  • Denim mask

  • Face shield


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
442,298
Messages
9,551,449
Members
199,840
Latest member
LeoL
Top