• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quick question, everyone. I'm putting through a new trouser design with RTC that we can start offering at the end of the Summer.

It seems like saying "bootcut" or "flared" is a loaded term, but I'm fielding requests for custom trousers in a 70's inspired fit. Something that's more Brad Pitt in "Once Upon A Time" than John Travolta in "Saturday Night Fever." For the overall profile, I came across this pic of Bad Bunny and thought that it's a good starting point:

View attachment 1964483

Of course there's a lot of other things going on like Kendall Jenner's leg, the dual iced-out cross chains, and the security guy in the back who looks like a AI image combination of the Rock and Jason Statham, but we if focus on the pants.. what do you guys think? This would be a custom shape that clients can order in any fabric.

Not my style, but I like this look, the trousers have nice length, width and drape.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
angry-villagers-with-pitchforks.jpg

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither do I, totally out of place.

it's deliberately done obviously with the spezzatura type thing, it's just hard to be convinced by all that spezz with the back turned cuffs and single unbuttoned jacket cuff and watch and pocketsquare etc.

I mean the guy looks good objectively so it's fine, just not my taste

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's deliberately done obviously with the spezzatura type thing, it's just hard to be convinced by all that spezz with the back turned cuffs and single unbuttoned jacket cuff and watch and pocketsquare etc.

I mean the guy looks good objectively so it's fine, just not my taste

Never liked this kind of ostentacious "sprezzatura", where it's evident that everything is thought and arranged.

Actually it's the opposite, wearing something not caring that much.

Last edited:

kashmir

Reaction score
i almost never like any sort of pinstripe or chalkstripe ever

the denim snap shirt thing looks good with some 70s or 50s- leaning look, bryceland's guys do that well i think

sam67

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not beholden to precisely that combination. I think for "city suit" I'm accepting of lower rise, flat front. I just enjoy the part with high-waisted where my pants don't get pushed down by my belly.

Berg Berg actually has a high-rise, flat front, relatively tapered model. I think the "Alf".
Any other shops that might make high rise? It seems very logical to have the pants waist at the natural waist rather than the hips as I play around with it using the pants I have. They just don't have the rise needed. Thanks.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any other shops that might make high rise? It seems very logical to have the pants waist at the natural waist rather than the hips as I play around with it using the pants I have. They just don't have the rise needed. Thanks.

If you don't mind fuller leg and/or pleats, then yes. Scott Fraser, Stoffa, Rubato, possibly Cavour's latest Mod 3 trouser.

Also, arguably the Armoury chino is a high rise, and that is flat front.

Edit: Casatlantic is another. @mossrockss I think knows a bit about mid-tier European tailoring lines with designs that lean more classic.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don’t think true high raise looks good without a jacket or certain body type, I would still stick to some sort of medium rise

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics