• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to say, CM from 2010 is not how I imagined this thread turning out... I went through a vintage tweed phase about then and absolutely nothing of what I bought was something I kept. It's very rare to find anything that fits and actually works with more contemporary aesthetics. I just wouldn't go there TBH.

Please return to floppy 2022 fits.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Big pants with shorter and lightly built up jackets, great bottom heavy silhouette and an easy way to make shorter/too short jackets work

howell spring 2014.JPG

ioj.jpg

JPG_9160.jpg

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"vintage" and "tweed" is my bat-signal, especially for overcoats/topcoats. I'm obsessed with them.

They can be worn in a SW&D way, or a CM way.

Digging on etsy, I always find coats that look cool to me. I love the different textures and materials used in them. A lot of these textures and materials I never see in new coats. They literally don't make them like they used to.

You can find luxury materials like cashmere and camel hair which drape and flow as well. I'd rather pay $300-400 for these pieces than the $1600+ for a new coat. The prices are "curated vintage". To some, this is too much for an old coat, but to me they're old treasures I enjoy wearing.

The search I used below was "men raglan coat" on Etsy. I've noticed if you find an item you really like, pay attention to the seller. They often carry other great coats you can explore.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Part 2 of link dump. Hopefully the images line up with the links, ebay doesn't let me hotlink images.

I like single breasted topcoats with patch pockets, they balance out the overall silhouette. A lot of SB topcoats these days only have hand warmer pockets and don't look as interesting IMO.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coats are especially well suited to this because fit is much less of an issue, raglans even more so (though sleeve width and armhole depth impact the way the top block looks). And the variety is staggering, patterns, colors, fabrics, cuts, detailng...

I love those coats with quarter lining, blanket self lining everywhere else and piped exposed seams, they usually weighs 200kgs. Best design is raglan peak lapels but they're harder to come by.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Best design is raglan peak lapels

interesting . dunno if i've ever seen

(researching... ) like so ? i cannot remember ever seeing such in all my thrifting days ( and i've thrifted vicuna ) .

Screen Shot 2022-10-01 at 7.10.17 PM.png

i do love raglan sleeves on a db coat , i have a big burb trench for this wet winter and imma use it with my cowboy hat , but what boots ?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"vintage" and "tweed" is my bat-signal, especially for overcoats/topcoats. I'm obsessed with them.

They can be worn in a SW&D way, or a CM way.

Digging on etsy, I always find coats that look cool to me. I love the different textures and materials used in them. A lot of these textures and materials I never see in new coats. They literally don't make them like they used to.

You can find luxury materials like cashmere and camel hair which drape and flow as well. I'd rather pay $300-400 for these pieces than the $1600+ for a new coat. The prices are "curated vintage". To some, this is too much for an old coat, but to me they're old treasures I enjoy wearing.

The search I used below was "men raglan coat" on Etsy. I've noticed if you find an item you really like, pay attention to the seller. They often carry other great coats you can explore.

They have a handsome vintage Burberry Balmacaan in donegal at Stella's 10 Ft Single in Williamsburg right now (not sure who's in NYC). Roughly a 52R. I like the texture more than the glen plaid one I have at home.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
interesting . dunno if i've ever seen

(researching... ) like so ? i cannot remember ever seeing such in all my thrifting days ( and i've thrifted vicuna ) .

View attachment 1838851

i do love raglan sleeves on a db coat , i have a big burb trench for this wet winter and imma use it with my cowboy hat , but what boots ?

Cowboy hat cowboy boots.

Yeah like that one, it think the style pretty much died in the 50s so it's obviously slim pickings outside of bespoke etc

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coats are especially well suited to this because fit is much less of an issue, raglans even more so (though sleeve width and armhole depth impact the way the top block looks). And the variety is staggering, patterns, colors, fabrics, cuts, detailng...

I love those coats with quarter lining, blanket self lining everywhere else and piped exposed seams, they usually weighs 200kgs. Best design is raglan peak lapels but they're harder to come by.
Agreed. I've an old raglan I bought that's gigantic, it makes my head look too small with the massive shoulders. I love it though, I look broad and wide in it.

Extremely comfortable too. Once I started wearing big coats, I'm not sure how I ever felt good wearing slim fit topcoats.

I've never seen a raglan peak lapel before. The most unique design(s) I've seen from new coats are often from B&Tailor (bespoke).

I'd wear the one below. I can feel the coziness already.

I'd also add to be open to altering coats too. I had the body of a polo coat reduced by one size and it looks a lot better on me now, the skirt/quarters hang straight.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads