• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Less structure in general I mean, trend-wise. Not everything needs to be unstructured all the time. Nothing against a bit of floppiness from time to time personally.

And look at the volume of Tirailleur's trousers too, wouldn't look as good without it.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse the awful store styling but the one-button suits from Jil Sander this season are great

P00648581_b1.jpg

P00682627_b1.jpg

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge of this kind of lapel and it's relevance historically, if any? This is a vintage Eddie Bauer, supposedly from the 70s.

s-l1600.jpg

kashmir

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone has any knowledge of this kind of lapel and it's relevance historically, if any? This is a vintage Eddie Bauer, supposedly from the 70s.

s-l1600.jpg
looks classic ivy, it's difficult to see but it seems that there are no front darts as well. if shoulders aren't heavily padded, then it should be coherent within that style.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks classic ivy, it's difficult to see but it seems that there are no front darts as well. if shoulders aren't heavily padded, then it should be coherent within that style.

Interesting. I'm not sure I've see this type lapel before, on Ivy or otherwise. Was it associated with any particular makers (J Press, etc.)?

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On an unrelated matter, my recent sartorial thoughts taken from recently-watched cinema:

David Soul wears a very well-fitted green corduroy, patch-elbowed, wide-lapel sport coat in Salem's Lot (1979).

MV5BMmUxNGQ3ZWEtMzdlOC00NDFkLTkwZWEtOTFmY2YzOTZkMjcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUxMjc1OTM@._V1_.jpg

salems_lot_photo13.jpg

The Outfit (2022) is a solid piece of single-setting-emulating-a-play cinema, not least of all because of the attention to detail it puts toward tailoring (or cutting). Recommended.

ceefd93d51bfc402d70f468a47930e66.jpg

kashmir

Reaction score
Interesting. I'm not sure I've see this type lapel before, on Ivy or otherwise. Was it associated with any particular makers (J Press, etc.)?
not a specific maker but it looks very 60s in a nice way. the current iGent groupthink is towards wider lapels but I like a coherent 60s tailoring piece. looks nice and youthful. very distinctly American. the closest I can think of is Dustin Hoffman's tailoring in The Graduate.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there is supposed to be joy in the hunt, but also could someone just hand me the tweed sport coat that works for me?

I'm a 43/44L, btw.

Zerase

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have a look at the thrift store bragging thread. Pretty sure someone has something that you'd like in their backlog.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads