• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vogue 1985

275721308_1149637285804220_2157038747328746441_n.jpg

Zanini

zanininioin$.jpg

zanini oij.jpg

zanini pçj.jpg

Last edited:

true.to.size

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure if the soft/oversized fit and Nicholson's unisex nature (though this wouldn't be apparent to most folks) counteract the "tough guy" connotations that leather blazers often have.

I'm a scrawny guy with a bookish profession and general manner, so i usually don't worry about coming off in that way, but for some reason this item has me more concerned with external perceptions than I might normally be. Perhaps it is because I don't wear much leather, too.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure if the soft/oversized fit and Nicholson's unisex nature (though this wouldn't be apparent to most folks) counteract the "tough guy" connotations that leather blazers often have.

I'm a scrawny guy with a bookish profession and general manner, so i usually don't worry about coming off in that way, but for some reason this item has me more concerned with external perceptions than I might normally be. Perhaps it is because I don't wear much leather, too.
I take your point, but I think it works well on you, probably for the reasons you cited. I am not getting any Burt Reynolds/Deliverance vibe.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That doesn’t read mobster at all to me. Looks good.
i could maybe see what you meant if it was black but that would still need a lot of other things happening to make it mobster.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like it, but would probably prefer the same cut in a different fabric..

me too. I like that type of casual blazer thing in some luxe-y soft natural fabric. shape looks nice @true.to.size I like leather but not for tailored stuff

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ On board with a peachy pink cashmere and silk layering winter.

Lesser shade of pink but a better styling job than Bond with this A&S velvet jacket

as9889.jpg

@true.to.size Looks great, the cut and way the leather sort of crumples makes the fit I think. But also it doesn't appear super leather-like there, looking at the pic I could believe it's made of some kind of kraft paper-looking stiff poplin thing. I'm generally prejudiced against non-suede light and more delicate leather outerwear and jackets because of the way they show wear and crease etc but now I don't know... I like it

true.to.size

Reaction score
It's lamb leather and on the thinner side, for sure. So yeah, it doesn't have the beefiness of many pieces of leather outerwear. That definitely helps it drape more easily, but we will see how it holds up over time (I've decided to keep it).

Last edited:

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I know it's only the lighting but it sort of looks like a mismatched black/anthracite chalkstripe setup, good stuff.

Anyway, I've been warming to stripey tailoring for a little while, from dark and spongey heavy chalkstripes to lighter summery stuff (nothing bright or flashy though). I used to have a pretty reductive CM-centric view on them and was generally dismissive of their potential but the stuff has grown on me for some reason. Worn as full suits but even moreso as separates, can be a bit scabrous and often feels like it's bordering on the perverse, big part of the appeal obviously.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
stripes add a nice texture, esp if they are subtle like you mentioned and if you don't have any of the other CM accoutrement (tie, hankie, etc)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads