• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup break coming back would be nice but not sure about stacking dress pants all the way to floor

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breaks and even pooling can be great, and hey if the hem gets destroyed you can always just hem them to a more normal length later on.

As someone who spent a lot of time on this side of the forum way back in high school and now finds themselves about to graduate from law school and frequently wearing a tie, I appreciate that this thread exists.

My work-wear is definitely less SWDish than most of what has been discussed thus far, but I always hope the attitude shows through. I don't own any "proper" dress shoes, only loafers, paraboots, and a pair of RM Williams, almost always worn with OCBDs, jackets are all soft shouldered, etc.

I've been externing with PD offices for the past three semesters and will hopefully be working as one post-grad so there's the added goal of never getting confused with a DA (results may vary by jurisdiction). There's also the aim of being approachable to clients while still appearing authoritative and competent in front of a judge. Somehow, most lawyers end up settling for schlubby and accomplishing none of the above.

Interested to hear if anyone else is still working in a suit-required environment and how you find ways to keep it fun.

I don't work somewhere that requires suits, but if I did and had the budget I think another great option to look into is Thom Browne. Lord knows it's expensive but the quality is there and he does fun things with suit proportions and formal tailoring without feeling stuffy (or if it does then intentionally almost overly so, so it's still fun).

It also definitely doesn't work for everyone, but when it works it works.
1643403703002.png

1643403967661.png

1643404014489.png

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaks and even pooling can be great, and hey if the hem gets destroyed you can always just hem them to a more normal length later on.

I don't work somewhere that requires suits, but if I did and had the budget I think another great option to look into is Thom Browne. Lord knows it's expensive but the quality is there and he does fun things with suit proportions and formal tailoring without feeling stuffy (or if it does then intentionally almost overly so, so it's still fun).

It also definitely doesn't work for everyone, but when it works it works.
View attachment 1745272
View attachment 1745278
View attachment 1745279
I tried his BB Black Fleece and it just didn’t work. High quality stuff as you mentioned but his tailored stuff just looked awkward on me. I’m 6’1 which might have had something to do with it. I know a bunch of super-tall Basketball players wear his stuff but I felt very out of place in it.

Just did another LuxeSwap-aimed closet cull this past weekend and noticed I have three BBBF keepers left: an Inspector Clouseau-grade trench coat, fully lined gray winter cashmere pants I wore yesterday, and a gray cashmere blend sleeveless cardigan vest.

MeatFish

Reaction score
Diff proportions but a memory from a few years ago came up of my first casual suit by OAMC. Some fashiony details and elongated sleeve + cropped trousers
9E2E5512-8030-443D-8F84-552E79792773.jpeg

Wound up selling a couple months into quarantine cause it shrunk in my closet, but it was gooood.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
and on that note I would imagine if you wear boots (say chelsea/side zip) you can get away with somewhat crop pants even easier

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's not a lot flare I can see wearing this casually ish or maybe even try it on a casual Friday, edit: not the whole outfit but trouser with that "much" flare

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would it be OK if we don't turn this thread into a CM thread? I started this thread so there could be a tailoring discussion that happens outside of CM. Not to discourage different voices or say that people from CM cant post here, but also don't want to turn this into the many CM threads that already exist, such as MC General Chat and the various tailoring threads.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads