• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These double patch hip pockets are ideal for your phone. You don't see the weight of the phone causing the outside pocket to sag or bulg.

never knew you could put a phone (maybe an old iPhone?) there I remember all the drake sport coat has it and I dislike it then probably more neutral now

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
how do they stand over time? Does it bleed color at all?

We've been doing OTR garments in this fabric since 2016... it's one of the toughest cotton textiles that exists.

The fabric is very colorfast post-dye, but its subsequent treatment at Hickey makes it more so. Before they sew it, it's run through a steam sponging press to iron it flat, and that really takes out any residual dye. You don't have to worry about color transfer from any of the garments.

Jackets have to be dry cleaned due to the canvas inside. If you get a pant by itself, then that can be machine washed with no worries about shrinkage. You'd want to wash it with other dark colors though.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
tumblr_n9kwq4Be3l1td0r9eo1_500.jpg

hamish5178

Reaction score
As someone who spent a lot of time on this side of the forum way back in high school and now finds themselves about to graduate from law school and frequently wearing a tie, I appreciate that this thread exists.

My work-wear is definitely less SWDish than most of what has been discussed thus far, but I always hope the attitude shows through. I don't own any "proper" dress shoes, only loafers, paraboots, and a pair of RM Williams, almost always worn with OCBDs, jackets are all soft shouldered, etc.

I've been externing with PD offices for the past three semesters and will hopefully be working as one post-grad so there's the added goal of never getting confused with a DA (results may vary by jurisdiction). There's also the aim of being approachable to clients while still appearing authoritative and competent in front of a judge. Somehow, most lawyers end up settling for schlubby and accomplishing none of the above.

Interested to hear if anyone else is still working in a suit-required environment and how you find ways to keep it fun.

IMG_3874.jpg
IMG_7512.jpg

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who spent a lot of time on this side of the forum way back in high school and now finds themselves about to graduate from law school and frequently wearing a tie, I appreciate that this thread exists.

My work-wear is definitely less SWDish than most of what has been discussed thus far, but I always hope the attitude shows through. I don't own any "proper" dress shoes, only loafers, paraboots, and a pair of RM Williams, almost always worn with OCBDs, jackets are all soft shouldered, etc.

I've been externing with PD offices for the past three semesters and will hopefully be working as one post-grad so there's the added goal of never getting confused with a DA (results may vary by jurisdiction). There's also the aim of being approachable to clients while still appearing authoritative and competent in front of a judge. Somehow, most lawyers end up settling for schlubby and accomplishing none of the above.

Interested to hear if anyone else is still working in a suit-required environment and how you find ways to keep it fun.

That looks better than nearly all lawyers I've seen.
If you're going to court though, I think you'll want to get some "proper" shoes and stick to dark colors for the suit and shoes, especially if ever appearing before a jury (probably also a judge too). You don't want to be noticed either good or bad for what you are wearing. Schlubby (for you, schlubby probably looks normal to most people) is likely fine, but anything that could be viewed as flashy or weird (the back blade of your tie) is probably not. I wouldn't worry about appearing to look like a DA.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks better than nearly all lawyers I've seen.
If you're going to court though, I think you'll want to get some "proper" shoes and stick to dark colors for the suit and shoes, especially if ever appearing before a jury (probably also a judge too). You don't want to be noticed either good or bad for what you are wearing. Schlubby (for you, schlubby probably looks normal to most people) is likely fine, but anything that could be viewed as flashy or weird (the back blade of your tie) is probably not. I wouldn't worry about appearing to look like a DA.
:mad:

MythReindeer

Reaction score
Hell yea public defenders

I have little to add but I like this thread. I do have a corduroy Uniqlo U suit that I bought near the start of the pandemic and...have never had the chance to visit the tailor's for, with the obvious explanation. I get the idea of the imperfect fit in this context, but realizing years ago that my arms are "short" has made me very self-conscious about sleeve length. I also like the idea of set-ups. Maybe one day.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like jacket length can be more imperfect than sleeve length, sleeve can be a bit longer in swd context but more than a inch than proper I would still chop it…

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would think husband paris stuff is quite wearable, actually can't think of any other RTW with similar aesthetics (maybe Tom Ford but TF has stronger chest vs. this feels more lean everywhere).

Have you looked at them this season? Pants are more flared, looks more directional that years past

LeBeef

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Looks pretty smart. Do you find that your clients respond to you one way or another based on how you dress? Not a lawyer, but I do sometimes interact with folks who are caught up in the carceral system, along with other social service providers, and I find that how we behave contributes much more to the relationship than how we look.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Have you looked at them this season? Pants are more flared, looks more directional that years past

Ok oh yea a lot more flared pants, but if you just change the pants I would still wear that to office. I don’t mind a bit boot cut (not to office though) personally but won’t be a major rotation I suppose…

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads