• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried a fair share of making my tailoring work in casual situations but honestly, anything that doesn’t have a collar just makes me feel like I’m trying to hard or like I’m being a poser. Polos and turtlenecks seem to work fine the way I try them: View attachment 1744188 View attachment 1744189 View attachment 1744190

for “tshirts” I tried the anthology ones with “casual” summer looks but it just didn’t feel right to me. Probably due to indoctrination lol
I’ve tried those Anthology shirts that way as well and it felt very off. Polos work very well!

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious what made it feel “off” to you? Wondering if we share the same sentiment
I think it was more the shirt itself. Knit with those very short sleeves didn't feel right. Didn't like the feel of short sleeves in tailoring either. I prefer shirts/sweaters with collars but I have worn tailoring with long sleeve crew neck sweaters in cooler weather before.

Also, could be the tailoring I was wearing. A t-shirt or short sleeve with a very light unstructured jacket would likely be fine. I like the idea of this thread and there are some neat fits here. :fonz:

I'm sure, as you mentioned, I am also indoctrinated and it's hard to break free. Even the Illusive Man couldn't do it....

Last edited:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not who you asked, but I can't wrap my head around letting my neck touch a sportcoat I can't wash, especially in the summer.
Also a decent point.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very good points made about imperfectly fitting tailoring looking better worn casually. I don't know that I've ever seen that idea expressed before, but it's so true. I have bespoke tailored stuff, and access to bespoke tailored stuff, but I often buy suits/sport coats at vintage stores because that's just what looks best sometimes. I've never really thought about why.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Not who you asked, but I can't wrap my head around letting my neck touch a sportcoat I can't wash, especially in the summer.
This never crossed my mind. Now I’m definitely not wearing these the way they were intended lol

MrFingers

Reaction score
I think it was more the shirt itself. Knit with those very short sleeves didn't feel right. Didn't like the feel of short sleeves in tailoring either. I prefer shirts/sweaters with collars but I have worn tailoring with long sleeve crew neck sweaters in cooler weather before.

Also, could be the tailoring I was wearing. A t-shirt or short sleeve with a very light unstructured jacket would likely be fine. I like the idea of this thread and there are some neat fits here. :fonz:

I'm sure, as you mentioned, I am also indoctrinated and it's hard to break free. Even the Illusive Man couldn't do it....
Yeah good thought. I will probably try it pair the shirts again for a few different fits and see how it plays just l see it in camera from a “audience” perspective but the whole thing of the neck touching the collar now makes me feel weird about it

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone wearing Husbands around here? I see someone just created a thread on the other side

Most of my TF trousers are getting a bit unforgiving in the waist, thinking of giving the flares a try.

definitely would like to try them though I think they have functional sleeve and I need to chop like 1.5inch, hate to alter from shoulder…

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a really nice seersucker suit from them.
It "looked" great but the jacket was too tight to actually move in.
I still have a denim western i wear all the time and some navy wool fresco suit trousers that are really nice. I’d love to get another suit in a fuller cut.

the suit:

A32969D7-85BB-46A7-B913-39B6476A2707.jpeg
A32969D7-85BB-46A7-B913-39B6476A2707.jpeg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I guess you can count barbanera (they launch suit recently) as another dress down tailoring (in the way RRL does?), but it's not very "office" type of dress down.

I always like structured stuff, though feels like to make structure casual work it always looks a bit 70s ish

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Parker, who introduced me to the brand, and I thought about creating a husbands thread and then I think we forgot about it. Breaks my heart to see it on the other side :devil:
Does it really matter what the text at the top of the page says? I never even look up there. :slapfight:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does it really matter what the text at the top of the page says? I never even look up there. :slapfight:

I think so. I started this thread because I like to discuss tailoring, but find it difficult to have convos on the CM side of the board nowadays. I assume the Husbands thread will eventually devolve into people posting, "who actually wears this?" "Is this streetwear?" "Ah, fashion swings again." etc etc etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics