• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

#dadcore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For where I am now, if I am wearing a suit, I’m doing it exclusively in a casual way like below. Ironically when I need to be dressed formally I almost always wear a sportcoat with trousers. I have a navy and a charcoal conservative business dress type suits that are basically in storage. Looking forward to reading/participating in this thread as I get very little inspiration from the CM part of the forum.
B41D28B1-52CB-4309-9028-CDBC13AC8B54.jpeg
B894C369-C92E-44A9-BF76-569D71E765AB.jpeg
5604E487-A2BF-41F6-B479-0DBE5BB8B693.jpeg
A5D0B9EF-5700-4E59-8BF5-6E40E2C593CC.jpeg
523465AC-2145-4B54-9ECD-CD49ACC706B4.jpeg
E85240DC-94B9-4229-81A2-0D3043738D14.jpeg
4573089C-9577-483F-B10D-7A4BB861577C.jpeg

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For where I am now, if I am wearing a suit, I’m doing it exclusively in a casual way like below. Ironically when I need to be dressed formally I almost always wear a sportcoat with trousers. I have a navy and a charcoal conservative business dress type suits that are basically in storage. Looking forward to reading/participating in this thread as I get very little inspiration from the CM part of the forum.

If I took better (and more frequent) pictures, it would become apparent that we dress quite similarly some of the time!

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have any pics but I've been wearing my Epaulet Sinclair jackets (which are unstructured "sportcoat" versions of their Doyle chore coat) in tweedy wool blends w/ cargos, wide-legged or carrot-fit cords, or casual wool pants this winter. I think previously I only wore these w/ jeans or proper trousers, but w/ the right pants and chunky footwear it makes for a more SW&D version of the look which I've started to appreciate. I don't even bother tucking in the shirt most days, and it's been a fun challenge trying to layer the Sinclairs w/ collared shirts that have a longer/scooped hemline (they play well w/ knits too). In retrospect, it would have been nice to get a pair of matching trousers for the set-up. In the summer I've started wearing seersucker or linen suits w/ a linen knit or patterned/band collar shirt and casual footwear. W/ the suits I still lean traditional and keep the knit or shirt tucked in. Still do a lot of CM sportcoats and suits for office days.

Reactions: Gus

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of these examples seem to be basically CM-ish stuff worn casually, or casualized by fabric or pattern or whatever. But there would seem to be an entirely other side, too—no one would mistake (say) Deepti or Devoa for classic meanswear or call it very formal, but their tailoring is or can be pretty structured (very structured, in Deepti's sense) and doesn't really read "casual" the way that a soft Camoshita cord suit does: the latter seems to belong to an existing casual/formal line and just occupy one end, whereas the former seems to be more at an angle to that line. (Or think of, say, the Abasi Rosborough ARC jackets, which are clearly suit jacket–like in some respects and doing their own thing in others.)

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of a full suit/set-up today w/ Camoshita. The first brand to get me into tailored clothing and makes it really easy to wear in a swd kinda way.

View attachment 1743207
This is amazing. I always assumed I could pick up a Camoshita coat like this secondhand over the years (or the blue one from years back) but they never show up on the pre-owned market here.

MeatFish

Reaction score
I always assumed I could pick up a Camoshita coat like this secondhand over the years (or the blue one from years back) but they never show up on the pre-owned market here.

This was me except looking for the pants! Seems like the people that picked them up just hold on to them, maybe even more now that the label’s done.

I’ve done that search for a lot of different “suit” separates I’ve passed on, and just conceded I’ll never complete them. P sure I wouldn’t wear them together v much, but feels nice to know the options there.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This Camoshita navy seersucker suit worn without a tie and mixed with tee's, non-dress shirts, is an ideal casual travel suit and look IMO.You can mix it with just about anything else in your suitcase.(I wish the Camoshita would have fit me. Anyone know where I can get a navy seersucker suit?)

Spier&McKay, an affiliate here, has one although not sure what's left in terms of sizes and whether they're restocking.
I bought one few years ago. It's half canvased. Has all the typical features of "Neapolitan" suit. No padding, 3roll2, higher rise trousers, side adjusters... (style is a StyFo CM baby, so....)
Fabric is Hardy Minnies...

I usually wear it very casually, on hot summer nights out. Often with sneakers. I don't think I ever wore it with anything close to dress shirt.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't not mention Nicolas Gabbard in a thread like this

View attachment 1743508

Anyone wearing Husbands around here? I see someone just created a thread on the other side

Most of my TF trousers are getting a bit unforgiving in the waist, thinking of giving the flares a try.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like Kiton is in for casual tailoring.

701BA7B1-15CA-41D9-A3F6-0CEB24C8D16C.jpeg

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ can it be called tailoring ? hm
Sure, why wouldn’t it be? I’ve picked up some nice drawstring wool trousers from Zegna and Lardini. Nothing wrong with the baggy jacket. Not quite for me I guess but I consider it interesting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads