• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

    Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

    Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
28,968
Reaction score
24,803
Maybe, like if I got for free and why not try it, but would not actively look for it
 

sipang

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
8,814
Reaction score
12,744
No but I mean the whole fit is perfectly classic, nothing sloppy about it
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
28,968
Reaction score
24,803
Well I have a strong preference for structured tailoring for a reason
 
  • Like
Reactions: ppk

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
28,968
Reaction score
24,803
now this would be a lot more wearable as dark brown, burgundy gives a whole different vibe (also seems like the guy chopped both jacket and pant)

 

sipang

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2009
Messages
8,814
Reaction score
12,744
Does look a bit cropped, but burgundy gives a whole better vibe

1846402-96b34c2dca4b2c7efb3aabbf0ac46567.jpg
1834610-b73f25bb763fb0890f200f13732d7b8d.jpg
 
Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
28,968
Reaction score
24,803
I always get excited when clee posts some cool tailoring, and then the comedown hits when it's 3 sizes too small for me.

if you're in the 38~42 range I would think there are so many cool rando stuff available?

Edit not sure if it’s actually true 3 or 3 roll to 2 where seller just button them all

 
Last edited:

eazye

Distinguished Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
7,027
Reaction score
31,044
Haven’t worn a suit in probably a year or more, but one of my girlfriends won bottle service at a club for her birthday and I couldn’t say no. Suit is a Sammy in wool/silk/linen in a diamond pattern, shirt is beams rayon and boots are vtg Justin roper cowboys boots, because Colorado. First time wear all three items but I think they all played well with each other. Feedback from my friends was positive too. Sorry for my dirty mirror.
IMG_4654.jpeg
IMG_4653.jpeg
IMG_4656.jpeg
 

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Joined
May 5, 2007
Messages
5,236
Reaction score
21,508
That sounds suspicious. Why on earth would one not give measurements?

I'm suspicious of anyone asking for measurements on ebay, especially if the garment is a standard size. 90% of the time, the person asking this question doesn't buy it. The other 10% has me concerned that if I tell them the shoulders measure 17", they will find it actually measures 17.1" and was therefore "misrepresented."
 

ppk

Senior Member
Supporting Member
Joined
Oct 6, 2023
Messages
878
Reaction score
1,657
I'm suspicious of anyone asking for measurements on ebay, especially if the garment is a standard size. 90% of the time, the person asking this question doesn't buy it. The other 10% has me concerned that if I tell them the shoulders measure 17", they will find it actually measures 17.1" and was therefore "misrepresented."
I get the "misrepresented" issue. There are so many jerks on that platform.

Most of the listings, roughly 90% of the ones that I am interested in, have measurements. If there aren't any and they are clothing, I will usually ask. No one has ever responded that they wouldn't send the measurements. It's difficult to buy something, especially if they have a no return policy, without measurements.
 

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2006
Messages
6,348
Reaction score
157
I get the "misrepresented" issue. There are so many jerks on that platform.

Most of the listings, roughly 90% of the ones that I am interested in, have measurements. If there aren't any and they are clothing, I will usually ask. No one has ever responded that they wouldn't send the measurements. It's difficult to buy something, especially if they have a no return policy, without measurements.
Agree. If anything, not putting measurements (and then not answering) makes me feel like that the seller will not only not be a good trading partner but that there is something off. Even if I reaaaaaally want the item I will skip it. Scarily enough, I have been buying and selling on eBay since 1998 iirc and that has been pretty fundamental to me.

Edit: I have no problem with people asking questions, "kicking the tyres", so to speak. Part of doing business.
Not equivalent to the occasional "I am a veteran of the robot wars on terror, missing three legs and want this for free" messages I would get.
 

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Feb 22, 2009
Messages
28,968
Reaction score
24,803
well, I'm right in between S and R, so without BOC/Sleeve kind just no go for me, i also have got burned in the past of assuming "standard" measurements and turn out the guy alter the heck out of it
 

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 27, 2014
Messages
4,865
Reaction score
5,577

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

  • Definitely full canvas only

    Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

    Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

    Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

    Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

    Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
506,797
Messages
10,592,002
Members
224,313
Latest member
HPE
Top