• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swaine Adeney Gift Advice

alepenn

Reaction score
My younger brother got a job at Goldman Sachs trading and I'd like to get him a good briefcase for the (likely few) times he will need to go to meetings with higher ups and look good, and I'd like it to be something that will last and hold up over time (he's in his early twenties now).

My gut instinct is to go with a Swaine Adeney such as (on this site http://classicluggage.com/brief_case...portfolios.htm) the HAND-STITCHED WRAP-ROUND STRAP DOCUMENT CASE BY SWAINE ADENEY BRIGG LTD (Product Reference No.16).

What are your opinions? Do you have any other recommendations on what would be a good substitute? I don't want to say price isn't a factor becuase obviously I'd like to not spend more than necessary. That said, I want whatever I do get him to be the best and am willing to pay for it. My main problem is I don't know if SAB is the best briefcase or if I simply don't know about its peers.

Thank you for your advice.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe something else...will work against him at GS.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
Maybe something else...will work against him at GS.

Why is that?

-LR

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disregard my previous comment. Just looked at the price.

-LR

The Gooch

Reaction score
I wouldn't get him an SAB bag unless his clothing was up to snuff, first.

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
When I graduated graduate school and took at job in consulting at a white shoe firm in NYC, my parents bought me the SAB wrap around briefcase. I had told my parents a million times that was my favorite briefcase. And so they got it for me. I love it, but for the first 5 years on the job I never used the briefcase, instead opting for my old jack spade bag I used in grad school. I do use it now, but it took me more than 5 years to be comfortable and use the bag. Even now, I do not use it everyday. But I love it and I take care of it. I hope that it ages with me and I intend to keep it forever.

Not sure if this helps... but as a gift, I can think of nothing better. Would he use it? Not sure.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
How would having a nice bag work against him? This is i-banking, and GS no less...it's not like his coworkers will think he's spending wildly. Whether he will actually use it is a different question, but he probably will get tired of the nylon bags at some point.

You can never go wrong with SAB. Valextra would also be a good choice.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
SAB is a great choice, and I think he'll appreciate and enjoy it.

alepenn

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback.

Nonsie- I think you sold me on it. Is the brief you have the same as the one I picked out? If so, did you get a look at the different colours/which do you have?

Also, What is Valextra? Never heard of the brand.

Thanks!

Sazerac

Reaction score
Will work against him at GS? Have you seen some of these guys? They have pens that cost more than my house.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Will work against him at GS? Have you seen some of these guys? They have pens that cost more than my house.

In the analyst class? I'd be surprised if somebody didn't draw a dong on it before he made his way out of training.

alepenn

Reaction score
Regardless of whether he'll use it I'm going at it more from Nonsie's POV- it's one of biggest events in his life and I'd like him to have something that shows I give a damn that can last his entire life and that will always be relevant. I don't really intend for him to use it on a daily basis and I doubt that he will as he's got a more practical tumi laptop case.

Would appreciate feedback on the model I've chosen (would another model be better for business on the rare occasion he does choose to use it/in the future if he uses it more frequently?)

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alepenn
Regardless of whether he'll use it I'm going at it more from Nonsie's POV- it's one of biggest events in his life and I'd like him to have something that shows I give a damn that can last his entire life and that will always be relevant. I don't really intend for him to use it on a daily basis and I doubt that he will as he's got a more practical tumi laptop case.

Would appreciate feedback on the model I've chosen (would another model be better for business on the rare occasion he does choose to use it/in the future if he uses it more frequently?)

Nice bag for sure, I would love it for myself. In his case I would choose something a little sleeker and youthful looking. As nice as this one is, it doesn't strike me as age or position appropriate. I appreciate the desire to give him something that is timelessly relevant, but how much do any of us enjoy receiving nice things that we can't use? He will have other milestone achievments that will provide you additional opportunities to celebrate his success.

BlueHorseShoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
I appreciate the desire to give him something that is timelessly relevant, but how much do any of us enjoy receiving nice things that we can't use? He will have other milestone achievments that will provide you additional opportunities to celebrate his success.

+1. How about a watch?

Lord Nonsie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by alepenn
Thanks for the feedback.

Nonsie- I think you sold me on it. Is the brief you have the same as the one I picked out? If so, did you get a look at the different colours/which do you have?

Also, What is Valextra? Never heard of the brand.

Thanks!

MY briefcase is the classic wrap around document case. I had it made with the round brass lock as I preferred that to the rectangular style that come standard. I did it in London Tan, which I consider to be the best color, but I have also seen it in Chestnut. its worn beautifully and looks better as it gets used, etc. My parents bought it for me at Sterling and Burke (ie Classic Luggage)

Valextra makes beautiful sleek 1950s styled Italian luggage. I would consider them closer to Hermes or Goyard in price. I bought a Valextra piece a year ago and its great, but not the same thing as Swaine. For a briefcase I love the SAB. The Valextra I bought is a garment carrier and my fiance talked me into it since I started traveling a lot more for work. Its held up wonderfully, but I do not like their briefcases. I much prefer the Britishness of the SAB. The SAB garment bag and suitcases, on the other hand, are just too heavy and impractical.

As for a watch... I love watches and I think they are beautiful and wonderful rewards for milestones. However, starting out at GS, I would suggest the briefcase. Last thing I would recommend is somebody to notice a potentially showy watch.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics