• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swaine Adeney case colour

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I would personally go for a dark brown color since that goes with so much and often ages gracefully...

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here is the design I am interested in:

SABmb17x12.jpg

Here is what chestnut bridle looks like after some years of use:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have that case in London Tan (as pictured) and have been exceptionally pleased with it. I believe RJman has it in black leather. I will say that it looks quite nice regardless of colour...so it is really just a question of personal preference.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I would vote for a brown as well, probably the London tan. RJman's black case is indeed quite handsome, however.

I have the Atlas version of the wraparound in natural tan belting; had my budget allowed I would have gotten the case you pictured.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think London tan is the classic color. Excellent choice on the model. I love that case.

Trilby

Reaction score
I would go with the tan - I think it's the best looking colour in bridle leather. Looks good from day one and only gets better with age.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
I have that case in London Tan (as pictured) and have been exceptionally pleased with it. I believe RJman has it in black leather. I will say that it looks quite nice regardless of colour...so it is really just a question of personal preference.

Do the straps have to be fastened to close the case, or would the brass lock in the centre be good enough to keep it fastened? I am concerned that it is quite cumbersome to open two straps and a brass fastener everytime I need to get something out.

What is your experience?

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got one of the semi-solid frame models in London Tan and have used it daily for about 2 years. Personally I think it's rather conversative and "quiet"; however, I guess great leather, quite a bit of visible stitching, and serious-looking brassware say something, because I get a surprising number of "nice briefcase" comments. You can't go wrong with any color, but if you're looking for patina, you'll need a lighter color of brown.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
Do the straps have to be fastened to close the case, or would the brass lock in the centre be good enough to keep it fastened? I am concerned that it is quite cumbersome to open two straps and a brass fastener everytime I need to get something out.

What is your experience?

While the brass lock would generally be sufficient to keep the case closed, if not fastened the straps will just hang down. While I'm not good at finding the words to describe it, this would include the ends with the buckles as well as the other ends...meaning you have four dangling ends.
frown.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There seems to be a fair amount of these document-styled cases in vintage.

The vintage ones have a lovely patina, and have somewhat slimmer proportions.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
While the brass lock would generally be sufficient to keep the case closed, if not fastened the straps will just hang down. While I'm not good at finding the words to describe it, this would include the ends with the buckles as well as the other ends...meaning you have four dangling ends.
frown.gif

I believe RJman may have removed his straps for daily use, fwiw.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the straps coupled with brass lock could be a bit of a nuisance to use.

Perhaps it is best to have it with straps and no brass lock, or get a document case with brass lock only (like the one below). However this one does not look quite as rugged as the strap around one, although I am sure it will last just as long (like a lifetime
laugh.gif
).

psa0035.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads