• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swaine Adeney case colour

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
I believe RJman may have removed his straps for daily use, fwiw.

That would not be a problem; you can just slip them off.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My ears were burning!

This is slightly off topic but I think it needs to be mentioned. I also would be interested to hear my fellow Swaine Adeney owners' experiences in this regard.

My Brigg flap-over document case began to show excessive wear at the brass buckles. Namely, the buckles connecting the case to the shoulder strap abraded each other to the point where the buckle was very thin. The leather itself seems OK. I've owned the case five years but only used it since entering into wage-slavery three years ago. Since purchase its already expensive purchase price has nearly doubled. I purchased the case because I'm a Bond fan (sigh) and more importantly because I wanted something sturdy and bulletproof-tough. The case has been well used, and I often carry heavy loads in it, but not, I thought, excessively heavy.

I contacted Swaine Adeney about this problem, and they told me to send it back... for a quote on repair. As whenever I have anything to do with them, it costs a hell of a lot of money (and takes a little time), I asked my bottier in Paris if he knew someone. He directed me to a friend of his from his days as a Compagnon du Devoir who now has a boutique in the Marais. The fellow was also surprised at the amount of wear in the buckles and commented that it wasn't usual for this to happen, wondering if the brass used was a cheap alloy. He replaced the buckles within the day and now has my custom for local bespoke leathergoods. Has anyone else had problems with their SAB buckles? Complicating the issue is that SAB can be very peremptory in any matter of customer service.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
My Brigg flap-over document case began to show excessive wear at the brass buckles. Namely, the buckles connecting the case to the shoulder strap abraded each other to the point where the buckle was very thin. The leather itself seems OK. I've owned the case five years but only used it since entering into wage-slavery three years ago. Since purchase its already expensive purchase price has nearly doubled. I purchased the case because I'm a Bond fan (sigh) and more importantly because I wanted something sturdy and bulletproof-tough. The case has been well used, and I often carry heavy loads in it, but not, I thought, excessively heavy. I contacted Swaine Adeney about this problem, and they told me to send it back... for a quote on repair. As whenever I have anything to do with them, it costs a hell of a lot of money (and takes a little time), I asked my bottier in Paris if he knew someone. He directed me to a friend of his from his days as a Compagnon du Devoir who now has a boutique in the Marais. The fellow was also surprised at the amount of wear in the buckles and commented that it wasn't usual for this to happen, wondering if the brass used was a cheap alloy. He replaced the buckles within the day and now has my custom for local bespoke leathergoods. Has anyone else had problems with their SAB buckles? Complicating the issue is that SAB can be very peremptory in any matter of customer service.

I have not had that problem. Of course, I've never used the shoulder strap.
smile.gif
I believe we got our cases around the same time. I use my virtually everyday...and while I do not tend to carry heavy items nor reams of legal documents, it has stood up very, very well. My own experience with SAB customer service has been very positive. I'm always a bit surprised to hear reports to the contrary, but inasmuch as such complaints seem rather widespread, it is one aspect of their business that is sorely in need of repair.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Complicating the issue is that SAB can be very peremptory in any matter of customer service.
Well, a discount retailer really can't be expected to devote much to customer service.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Well, a discount retailer really can't be expected to devote much to customer service.
??

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ears were burning!

This is slightly off topic but I think it needs to be mentioned. I also would be interested to hear my fellow Swaine Adeney owners' experiences in this regard.

My Brigg flap-over document case began to show excessive wear at the brass buckles. Namely, the buckles connecting the case to the shoulder strap abraded each other to the point where the buckle was very thin. The leather itself seems OK. I've owned the case five years but only used it since entering into wage-slavery three years ago. Since purchase its already expensive purchase price has nearly doubled. I purchased the case because I'm a Bond fan (sigh) and more importantly because I wanted something sturdy and bulletproof-tough. The case has been well used, and I often carry heavy loads in it, but not, I thought, excessively heavy.

I contacted Swaine Adeney about this problem, and they told me to send it back... for a quote on repair. As whenever I have anything to do with them, it costs a hell of a lot of money (and takes a little time), I asked my bottier in Paris if he knew someone. He directed me to a friend of his from his days as a Compagnon du Devoir who now has a boutique in the Marais. The fellow was also surprised at the amount of wear in the buckles and commented that it wasn't usual for this to happen, wondering if the brass used was a cheap alloy. He replaced the buckles within the day and now has my custom for local bespoke leathergoods. Has anyone else had problems with their SAB buckles? Complicating the issue is that SAB can be very peremptory in any matter of customer service.

See the below link. Only $169 and guaranteed for life.
wink.gif

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...p&feat=4517-tn

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ears were burning!

RJ,

Did you really remove the straps that go around the case? Was it because the straps are cumbersome to use?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
K:
The straps are easily removable -- they are just belts which fit in a few straps around the case. I found that I didn't need them and that they made opening and closing the case a lot more cumbersome, not to mention that constantly buckling and unbuckling the straps made me think I'd wear those out too. The case looks fine without them. However, medwards had the inspired idea of using the straps to clip his Blackberry and other electronics. Pretty clever!

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see how the straps can be a pain to use. Would you recommend getting one without the straps?

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I do not find the straps an inconvenience, but I do not have to open and close this case terribly often throughout the day. (and as RJman notes...I have put them to a bit of extra use
smile.gif
) Just taking the straps off is easy enough. They are just placed through leather loops at the top of the case and in front and in back. However, while the top loops look fine without the accompanying straps, I would think these strips of leather on front and in back would look a bit odd without the straps running through them...so if I were to forego the straps, I would order a different model of case -- one that was made to be strapless.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at their site, I noticed that they also do clothing, mainly country stuff. Anyone have any experience?

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw some of their casual jackets. They look well made, and according to the sales guy, they are made in England. They were on good discount the last time I was in the St. James store.

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by medwards
I do not find the straps an inconvenience, but I do not have to open and close this case terribly often throughout the day. (and as RJman notes...I have put them to a bit of extra use
smile.gif
) Just taking the straps off is easy enough. They are just placed through leather loops at the top of the case and in front and in back. However, while the top loops look fine without the accompanying straps, I would think these strips of leather on front and in back would look a bit odd without the straps running through them...so if I were to forego the straps, I would order a different model of case -- one that was made to be strapless.

I like the look with straps but I like quick access also. Guess it has to look good and be practical as well, at least for me.

medwards

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To meet this need, some manufacturers have made cases with straps and buckles, but rather rather than actually having to unbuckle the straps, they snap open and close. I personally find this a bit like cheating...lakin to a pre-made bow-tie.
frown.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads