1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Swaine Adeney case colour

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Aug 15, 2006.

1. kolecho

kolecho Distinguished Member

I am planning to get a strap around document case from Swaine Adeney. They have several colours like London tan, chestnut, havana as far as I know.

Which colour is the most natural looking for bridle leather such that it takes on patina well over time?

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I would personally go for a dark brown color since that goes with so much and often ages gracefully...

3. kolecho

4. medwards

medwards Senior Member Dubiously Honored

I have that case in London Tan (as pictured) and have been exceptionally pleased with it. I believe RJman has it in black leather. I will say that it looks quite nice regardless of colour...so it is really just a question of personal preference.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I would vote for a brown as well, probably the London tan. RJman's black case is indeed quite handsome, however.

I have the Atlas version of the wraparound in natural tan belting; had my budget allowed I would have gotten the case you pictured.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

I think London tan is the classic color. Excellent choice on the model. I love that case.

7. Trilby

Trilby Senior Member

I would go with the tan - I think it's the best looking colour in bridle leather. Looks good from day one and only gets better with age.

8. kolecho

I have that case in London Tan (as pictured) and have been exceptionally pleased with it. I believe RJman has it in black leather. I will say that it looks quite nice regardless of colour...so it is really just a question of personal preference.

Do the straps have to be fastened to close the case, or would the brass lock in the centre be good enough to keep it fastened? I am concerned that it is quite cumbersome to open two straps and a brass fastener everytime I need to get something out.

What is your experience?

9. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

I've got one of the semi-solid frame models in London Tan and have used it daily for about 2 years. Personally I think it's rather conversative and "quiet"; however, I guess great leather, quite a bit of visible stitching, and serious-looking brassware say something, because I get a surprising number of "nice briefcase" comments. You can't go wrong with any color, but if you're looking for patina, you'll need a lighter color of brown.

10. medwards

medwards Senior Member Dubiously Honored

Do the straps have to be fastened to close the case, or would the brass lock in the centre be good enough to keep it fastened? I am concerned that it is quite cumbersome to open two straps and a brass fastener everytime I need to get something out.

What is your experience?

While the brass lock would generally be sufficient to keep the case closed, if not fastened the straps will just hang down. While I'm not good at finding the words to describe it, this would include the ends with the buckles as well as the other ends...meaning you have four dangling ends. [​IMG]

11. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

There seems to be a fair amount of these document-styled cases in vintage.

The vintage ones have a lovely patina, and have somewhat slimmer proportions.

12. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

While the brass lock would generally be sufficient to keep the case closed, if not fastened the straps will just hang down. While I'm not good at finding the words to describe it, this would include the ends with the buckles as well as the other ends...meaning you have four dangling ends. [​IMG]
    I believe RJman may have removed his straps for daily use, fwiw.

13. kolecho

I think the straps coupled with brass lock could be a bit of a nuisance to use.

Perhaps it is best to have it with straps and no brass lock, or get a document case with brass lock only (like the one below). However this one does not look quite as rugged as the strap around one, although I am sure it will last just as long (like a lifetime [​IMG] ).

[​IMG]

14. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Distinguished Member

You might get a lighter color new and let it take on a unique character and patina overtime.

15. kolecho

Agreed on light colour option (probably London Tan), but still scratching my head over which design. I like the strapped one but am concerned about whether it is practical for everyday use.