1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Swaine adeney brigg leather products

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bic Pentameter, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

I am looking for a leather envelope....something to carry papers in when I don't carry my Filson field satchel. http://www.filson.com/252.HTM I looked at Gold Pfeil, but they were a bit too dainty (and too pricey) for me. Does anyone have any suggestions? The Swaine Adeney Brigg "Flap-over Document Case" looks about right (in the darkest brown leather pictured). http://englishhall.com/homepages/2/2.php I have read that SAB is known for their umbrellas. Does anyone have any recent experience with SAB's leather products? Bic

2. kabert

kabert Distinguished Member

Check out this link to a prior discussion: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....8777d97 If you search for "briefcase" on Ask Andy, you'll find similar (actually, better) discussions that discuss SAB and other makers. Also, check out www.classicluggage.com. They are based in the Washington, DC area. They import Swaine Adeney cases and you can purchase them for cheaper than buying direct from the Swaine Adeney website. If you contact classicluggage directly, they will send you a S-A-B catalog and leather swatches as well. Very good customer service.

3. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Distinguished Member

I've had my Swaine black leather briefcase for more than 15 years and use it every day. Except for some minor scratches, it's held its shape and all stitching is intact. I had less positive experiences with Swaine light-colored bridle hide wallets. The stitching came out of these relatively soon. The natural darkening of the bridle hide may not be to everyone's taste.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

There was some discussion earlier that it might be well to look at other makers than Brigg these days. They certainly have the classic reputation, but some were opining that you can find equal or superior quality for less money. Of course, there's something about the Brigg name that certainly draws one. (The previous was from recollection of the thread, not personal experience.)

I've been really wanting a fold over envelope, too.

5. rws

rws Active Member

Bic and AlanC, I too am looking -- desultorily -- for a leather envelope-style briefcase, my current one (from a German leatherworker no longer in business) having about worn out.

I know Filson to be excellent in quality and reasonable in cost. Do you think that, if we approached the company guaranteeing sale of three in dark brown, Filson would make a nice, simple briefcase along the line of the SAB?

6. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Well, wanting one badly and ready to buy isn't the same thing. [​IMG] But along those lines, take a look here: http://www.customhide.com/ Some folks at Fedora Lounge have used them with success. They apparently will exactly copy an existing bag.

7. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior Member

Have you considered a portfolio from Tusting? I own a canvas duffel bag by them and recently acquired a Clipper bagas well. I haven't had the Clipper long enough to testify as to its durabilty but is is very solidly built. There is someone else on the forum whose owned one for something like 15 years. I went off his recommendation.

8. Kai

Kai Distinguished Member

I don't own any Brigg leathergoods, but I do have a flap-over document case by Dents which I picked up in London some years ago. It is very well made and has stood the test of time.

9. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

See ghurka.com and ilbisonte.com (I think those are the right web pages) or search the net. Both are top notch stuff and classic designs.

10. Super Fly

Super Fly Well-Known Member

SAB leather products are top notch. Very durable and well made. The bridle hide is great and should last a long time. I have a zip round document case and have had their wallets. Good stuff, too bad they closed shop in San Francisco (years ago...).

11. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

Thanks for all of your comments.

I used to visit the Filson retail store when I lived in Seattle.  There is a wide plexiglass window that looks out onto the shop floor.  You can watch them making the field satchels and other items right there.  Quite fun.  (I think in years past they may have done special orders, but I don't know if they still do.  I seem to remember a recent catalogue saying they would shorten trouser legs, but not adjust the dimensions on leather goods...)

Bic

(Still looking for the right envelope.)

12. A Harris

A Harris Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I've been using my Swaine briefcase regularly for over a year I think, and it has not shown even a bit of wear. Very durable.