• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Swaine Adeney Brigg in Administration?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when SAB had a store in San Francisco. I used to love going in and getting a wiff of the rich leather scent in the air. Ahhhhhh.

Good luck to them.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why did you spend so much? I got my last one on the streets of Manhattan for $5 in a rain storm. But you know what will happen? Nobody will steal it and I will never leave it anywhere. I'll probably be stuck with this sucker for the next few years. As soon as I buy a SAB umbrella I'll leave it in a cab....

I felt $40 was worth spending on an umbrella with a few style points.
Tasteful blue tattersall looks different than another generic black umbrella.
But, I wasn't really prepared to spend much more than $50 for an umbrella.
$1000? Get the **** out. Do I look that stupid? And like you said, these things get lost/stolen, all the time.
And that's what style is all about, to me.
$40 was in the sweet spot, so I bit. So far, happy with the purchase.

Last edited:

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I felt $40 was worth spending on an umbrella with a few style points.
Tasteful blue tattersall looks different than another generic black umbrella.
But, I wasn't really prepared to spend much more than $50 for an umbrella.
$1000? Get the **** out. Do I look that stupid? And like you said, these things get lost/stolen, all the time.
And that's what style is all about, to me.
$40 was in the sweet spot, so I bit. So far, happy with the purchase.

$1000 makes you more careful where you leave the thing.

Equus Leather

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hopefully the restructure won't mean lower standards, they are one of the very few well known (ish) brands who have genuinely first class craftsmanship. Whoever said they were an anachronism is right in that the still make genuinely good stuff. I hope the new financiers don't just milk the brand for all its worth.

The guy I trained with served his apprenticeship at a SAB owned company. Makes me sad the great names are all slowly dying of globalisation..

Charlie

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1.
Their shop on St. James is constantly empty. In fact - I don't think I've ever seen another soul in there and I usually pop in once a month.
It would be a great shame if this was the case.

I guess there's not too many people who want to be spending £500 quid on an umbrella.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The fact that they've been around for over 200 years might suggest otherwise.

But didn't you say though "Their shop on St. James is constantly empty." They could have been around for 1,000 years, but if there's no one buying their products now, they're not going to survive.

swaine54's earlier comments about, "...position to pursue expansion and growth.", that sounds distinctly ominous to me.

BTW I don't actually own an umbrella, don't need one living in the middle of a desert, hardly ever rains here.

There's a shop in my neighbourhood that sells extremely expensive cashmere jumpers, it's always empty. No one around here buys expensive cashmere jumpers. The company does quite well though, because their primary business is wholesale cashmere for export.

Maybe SAB could turn things around by making a name for themselves in China? I'm sure there's plenty of nouveau riche in the big cities eager to buy expensive foreign lux products. It can rain a lot in Shanghai.

Last edited:

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But didn't you say though "Their shop on St. James is constantly empty." They could have been around for 1,000 years, but if there's no one buying their products now, they're not going to survive.
swaine54's earlier comments about, "...position to pursue expansion and growth.", that sounds distinctly ominous to me.
BTW I don't actually own an umbrella, don't need one living in the middle of a desert, hardly ever rains here.

Well I think the market is definitely still around. I don't think people have stopped spending money on luxury items. You only have to take a look at Hermes on Bond St or Louis Vuitton on any day of the week. Maybe as time goes on - less and less people are aware of SAB and the kind of products that they manufacture.

I'm thinking that a lot of their custom must be mail order / internet based as certainly the current state of affairs in the shop cannot generate enough income to sustain what must be an astronomical rental charge for the property on St. James.

I also wonder if they still product equestrian goods? There's certainly none on offer on the website or on display at the store.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads