1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

SW&D Theory? (CM's Free For All Help Thread)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Caustic Man, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Lorcan7

Lorcan7 Senior member

Yeah interesting point.

Its something I do. I think I posted a fit about a month back with denim shirt + white jeans. My shirt is a few shades lighter (but started out a similar color to yours and has just been worn/washed a lot).

If you want to try lower contrast, which is very popular in SW&D, you could try navy pants, or those charcoal coloured jeans you posted a while back. For full on matchy monochrome you could think about pairing denim with indigo in different fabrics (Jersey, sashiko, cotton-linen etc.)

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

The charcoal jeans eh? That sounds like an interesting combo.

3. Caustic Man

Question for the crowd: I've been looking back on many fits in SWD over the years and I keep getting drawn to fits that are referred to as "workwear". Previously in my life I have been drawn to western wear which seems to share a lot of similarities with workwear. As many times as I see fits that I like, I also see people complaining about how it's an annoying fad or passe'. What are your opinions of workwear? Is it overplayed?

4. zxcvbn

zxcvbn Senior member

Do you! Workwear is too broad, too heterogeneous to be called overplayed as a whole, imo.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^agreed. The very elaborate workwear look that people (including myself) were doing say 2009 is to me a bit played out (see the Superdenim fits thread and subforum on superfuture for some some active enthusiasts), but I think alot of the elements of workwear (wide term) are still attractive and can be mixed with other style elements

I´ve weirdly enough become much more attracted to European workwear which to my eye is more "intellectual" (ala Margaret Howell and old french stuff) than the denim heavy US style (both modern and vintage). Pretentious as it sounds...

1 person likes this.
  6. eazye

eazye Senior member

If you like the workwear aesthetic, you should check out this guys tumblr. He's also a SF member under the same name. IMO he does workwear really well and actually uses it for what it was intended for, but he also does classic CM really well too, showing that you can dip your toes in both worlds pretty seamlessly.

http://urbancomposition.tumblr.com/

7. Caustic Man

I love UC. His mastery of both CM and SWD is what I hope to emulate.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Me too. If we're talking European, the British workwear tradition in which you could place Howell, is a bit different from the French and others.

Revivalists in this vein include new fairly high-end companies like Nigel Cabourn, Old Town, S.E.H Kelly, slightly more affordable options like Cro'Jack and Universal Works, and rebrands of old producers like Private White V.C., and others who've never gone away like Macintosh, Gloverall and Barbour. Tends to go for (sometimes treated) canvas, cord and twills instead of denim. Less blue and more soft greens and browns. Flat caps not ball caps. That kind of thing. And of course, there are the shoe companies: Grenson, Trickers etc. What I like about British workwear, as you say, is that it shades into the world of heavy tweeds and such like. It's not quite as separate from tailored clothing as the American tradition.

There is a promising thread about this here, started by @ManofKent , who used to be the living embodiment of British workwear revivalism, although he's branched out since then: http://www.styleforum.net/t/220610/british-workwear-heritage-brands - but the thread has not been very active for the last couple of years.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    2 people like this.
  9. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

^^Very good points. To me, continental (french and german ) workwear has a similar vibe as the British workwear tradition, both heavily focused on moleskin and heavy cord rather than denim (but obviously less tweed). I discovered some very good german companies myself last year (through Manufactum), especially FHB which still makes some tremendous ,extremely heavy black cord jackets in Germany. Similarly, Le Laboreur and Adolphe Lafont still make some traditional styles in France (for example a fantastic wool jacket by Le Laboreur).

2 people like this.
  10. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Got so inspired that I had to order a pair of black moleskin pants from Lafont... Unpredictable outcome!

1 person likes this.
  11. Caustic Man

Great conversation. I've learned a lot! Care to post a link to the trousers you got?

12. ghdvfddzgzdzg

ghdvfddzgzdzg Senior member

All the above posts sort of write around the feeling--I think it's a commonly held one, but that's just been from my observation--that yes, Americana workwear is sort of played out. A lot of the American workwear lifestyle stuff that was novel as it was sold to me in, say, 2009, has been co-opted/exploited or maybe just overexposed to the point that it doesn't feel good to see it anymore, ime. we've moved to Europe for our workwear.

1 person likes this.
  13. BlackYeti

BlackYeti Well-Known Member

The thing about UC is that he works in construction (or at least that's what his blog suggests), and a lot of the stuff (not all) that he wears wouldn't—it seems to me—work for someone outside of his trade. Of course, most of the world don't know and don't care what you do for a living.

Also, I think UC looks great and it's easy to extract from his stuff some of those "principles" you like so much, CM: nothing baggy, everything covering the torso hits around the belt-line (and certainly before the crotch), shirts rolled up to or above the elbows, jackets worn open and rolled out to frame the face, simple uniform patterns and some basic color theory. It helps, too, that he's an athlete's body.

14. accordion

accordion Senior member

This is an interesting thread

1 person likes this.