• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D Sneakers and Trainers Challenge: 1 August – 9 August 2015

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chocsosa and I collaborated over the past few days and came up with a theme that we felt would get a lot of participation and creative entries. Sneakers appear to be a decidedly “SW&D” item that clearly segregates us from the other side of the forum. However, I am pretty sure almost everyone on styleforum.net owns at least one pair of sneakers, if only for exercise. It is also summer in the Northern hemisphere right now where many of SW&D’s posters live so we figured that it would be a practical theme as well.

I often see people posting in the Recent Purchases, Baller Sneakers and Nike threads about different shoes they have bought, but I rarely see some of the more flamboyant designs worn in the WAYWT thread. Now is the time to break out your favourite pair of Jordans, show off your Rick Owens ensemble and demonstrate how creative you can be with a pair of Nikes and some gym clothes. I’m keen to see the new iteration of the Converse All-Stars that I know a few of you have purchased.

Some thoughts: While a leather jacket, some jeans and a pair of GATS can certainly look good, I’m also really interested to see what people can do in activewear and streetwear styles. Slip-on, white Vans are cool but they aren’t typically the focal point in an outfit either. That being said, any sneaker or trainer outfit is admissible, and the masses will decide which way the vote swings.

Rules/Guidelines:
  • Every outfit to qualify needs to feature a pair of sneakers or trainers worn as footwear. Everything else is up to the entrant. Wear them with a suit, jeans, basketball shorts, whatever you want.
  • Submissions will end when I put the poll up, sometime late Sunday night on August 9th (LA time).
  • The poll will allow for multiple votes and be open for only three days. I’d like this challenge to have a lot of momentum and not run out of steam.
  • Feel free to submit as many entries as you like. However, I will list each outfit separately at the end of the contest and only the top photo submitted by each entrant will be counted during tally. I am hoping this will encourage experimentation and reduce the number of entries posted at the last minute.
  • The winner gets to choose and administrate the next challenge.
  • I’d really like the photo to be taken between now and the 9th to encourage both new content and opportunities to try new looks out.
  • Benesyd will be automatically disqualified if he submits a photo featuring the black and grey GATS. Just kidding (5).

I compiled a few recent outfits posted in the WAYWT thread that I considered to suit the theme and general level of quality that receives votes in these threads.

Good luck and I hope to see a lot of participation, especially from newbies. The SW&D Challenge threads were the reason I started posting on styleforum.net. I think they are unique amongst men’s fashion forums and a great place to start learning and developing your style.

Last edited:

chocsosa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will start it off first.. I may submit more... we'll have to see...Im usually more on the CM side of things..Hey guys...Im Chocsosa (sosa or choc for short) Im 6"9 and wear a size 15 shoe.. so finding stuff that fits is pretty hard..this is what I wore last weekend..

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At Jerry Seinfeld's apartment [Nike Air Carnivore (1993)]

20022942779_3b54e26b76_o.png

^not my bag
18666109273_5a377d4b48_o.jpg

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

At Jerry Seinfeld's apartment [Nike Air Carnivore (1993)]

20022942779_3b54e26b76_o.png

^not my bag
18666109273_5a377d4b48_o.jpg

"Believe it or not, George isn't home.
Please leave a message at the beep.
I must be out or I'd pick up the phone.
Where could I be?
Believe it or not, I'm not home.

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do hope you´re talking to Uncle Leo.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Air Carnivores are dope. Great idea for a challenge, hope to see some weird, old and baller sneaks (or some combination of the three!)

These are pretty tame but I wanted to participate.

I guess its a Styleforum trademark to obsess over small details that most people wouldn't notice or care about. Or questing for the right iteration of something. I wanted Vans, but the regular sort just didn't hit the spot, which is where these come in.

They are a Japan-only model made for Beams that, rather like Converse's 1970s all star, try to recreate the look of late-60s and early '70s Vans. They have a different slimmer shape, heel cushioning (!), and period correct four lines of heel stitching not seen on modern day Authentics, as well as the 'Van Doren' logo. It all adds up to a shoe that feels slightly more special. They even come with a shoebox styled after the boxes from the period, which is a fairly insignificant, but nice, touch.

A genuine pair of late-1960s Vans Authentics, and an advert from the 1970s showing the Peralta endorsed blue/red Era.

Although the most iconic color for Authentics is probably the plain navy, I liked the red / navy combo a lot, and its reminiscent of the two-tone Vans Era worn by the likes of Stacey Peralta and Tony Alva in the late 70s.

At some point I'd quite like to get an actual vintage pair in good condition, but given I'm a popular size I'm not optimistic, so these are probably as close as I'll get.

vintage US army / diy overdyed jacket
Lad Musician / Spacemen 3 t-shirt
Visvim jeans
Vans x Beams Authentics
Undercover messenger bag

Lionheart Biker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sick triceps, bro.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Just started gym again after a 4 month break, so hope to get them a bit more pumped for the summer.

Wille: cool sneakers and backdrop. Is that like a tour you can do or something? Loved that show.
Lorcan: Also really cool, sneakers match the bag but not too much that it looks overly intentional.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will try to get a pic of an outfit with my Eytys (bright neon blue should count as flamboyant right?) but until then I might as well x-post this.
This has been my summer uniform for whenever the temperature is +20, really happy with the look considering it's mainly put together from a comfort-viewpoint.
Suede cap: Tiger of Sweden
Lyocell bomber: Weekday
Oversized t-shirt: Weekday
Super-lightweight oversized shorts: Weekday
Leather slip-ons: Swear London

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

borsalino
snowman extendo
dries
nike footscape magista!!

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great, Snowman. This was the kind of outfit I had in mind when imagining an ideal submission. The sneakers really stand out with their colour and they suit the clothing very well. Those pants are very interesting too.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's great, Snowman. This was the kind of outfit I had in mind when imagining an ideal submission. The sneakers really stand out with their colour and they suit the clothing very well. Those pants are very interesting too.

Thanks rais! The light grey jacket brings them together imo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads