• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I know there are quite a few of us out there who drop a Whole Lotta Money on cameras, and we often have photography derailings in other threads so perhaps a dedicated thread will be interesting and helpful. Anything goes: discuss about gear, technique, mood, composition, how I only shoot at low f-stops because I'm lazy, which camera straps show that you are the most baller, discuss film, slides, RAWs and JPEGs, how beautifully crafted the metal shutter speed knobs are on your camera, that je ne sais quoi feeling you get every time you hear the smooth, mechanical sound of the shutter, ANYTHING.

One Rule: You have to post your own things. This isn't tumblr (OK, it will probably end up like so) but let's keep the reblogging to a minimum unless it's really, really, really cool.

As always, feel free to break the law. I do not rule with an iron fist (in an object dyed glove).

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every few weeks I go to this great monadnock (big isolated rockface) to just chill and hang out for a few hours. There is this old abandoned building, maybe what used to be a small jail from ye olden times that is a few miles in from the trail. Anyways, there are trees growing inside, and yesterday I caught a great spring bloom.

Last month

Yesterday​

AKang

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my everyday point-n-shoot;

If you're wondering where the strap came from, and if I paid an arm or a leg for it, no. I was able to find it on Etsy for just $50. The leather is thick and sturdy so you know that your expensive camera will be safe and won't just fly off while carrying it one day. I've had it for a few weeks now and I love how the leather is starting to darken a bit.

Guy Burgess

Reaction score
an assortment of recentish stuff, no real theme
7900364802_3e7b2b6e64_z.jpg

8568628062_f4b1dd36c4_c.jpg

8567554081_48c8ce4a34_c.jpg

8568651868_8bd6b1d086_c.jpg

8568627734_41793c6165_c.jpg

7629336038_6e2755ba38_c.jpg

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Seeing as this is also a discussion thread, I must say I've got some serious nostalgia for shooting film and developing it myself. Back in ye olde days of Highschool there was a fully stocked dark room I could make use of whenever, and I shot a lot of film on my dad's 25+ year old Minolta and the school's beat-up Pentax cameras. There's something to be said for doing things the old fashioned way; that heavy, satisfying feeling as you hit the mechanical lever that releases the shutter with a cool metallic snick.

Nothing in the digital age quite comes close. There's instant gratification and a sort of flippancy to how we shoot most of the time. After all, it's not as though each shot costs in both time and money as it does with film. Each shot isn't so much careful consideration as, "hmm that looks nice." No longer does (except in rare instances with Leica's or etc) one manually set the aperture and on lens, a mechanical connection to the camera itself, figure out the exposure settings without the aid of fancy electronics and set a gritty focus. It was once a much more pure, artistic feeling. There was just this deeper connection between man, machine, moment that seems conspicuously absent in this era of the ubiquitous DSLR. Perhaps I'm just waxing poetic because it represents a curious form of nostalgia for me (especially considering I am most certainly a child of the Digital age and film was long gone from the mainstream by my high school days), but film photography will always have a special place in my heart.

Then again, not having to sit in a claustrophobic room inhaling carcinogens for hours on end has its merits as well.

Last edited:

AKang

Reaction score
I know, it's not exactly the same thing but I did get a disposable camera one weekend and decided to take it out to a party/event in the lower east side and I must say, the photos came out a LOT better than I had expected. There's something about the finality of taking a picture using film. There's no re-dos. There's no one complaining "ah can I see it? no, no no, take it again." And I like that people don't nag you to post it on this or that, 3 seconds after taking the picture. They know it needs to be developed first and that I will let them see it once it's done.

But yeah, shooting film does make you more aware of what you're shooting, lets you appreciate the moment you are trying to capture, and really lets you appreciate it when you get back the photos and you accomplished what you set out to do.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some old film shots from ~2 years ago

nonnative in the barrier islands of ga

Last edited:

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shot with a film camera exclusively for about 4 years. Yea, it's cool holding it, the weight, the heaviness...it feels solid in a way that 'old-fashioned' feels solid, like these days cameras can feel pretty damn flimsy even though they last a long time, but my old minolta felt like holding a small tank. I loved the satisfaction of winding the film, especially when you're finally done with a roll of carefully selected exposures. The "emotional" quality of the photo, like the soft graininess of the film, the fact that you savor every shot because you only have 36/roll (at least that's how I shot film...never the mass quantity type) and of course the weeklong anticipation of getting a stack of photos back in the mail after shuttling them off for development.

That said, film sucks a lot too. It's expensive as **** to buy (quality stuff, not that bullshit at convenience stores) and print, especially if you want it developed and printed by anyone competent these days. I don't miss the heaviness of it when I lugged it around on longer trips, even though I only shot with 1 lens it was simply too bulky to travel with. Had to limit a lot of what I wanted to do in terms of photography since the cost. The convenience of digital outweighs the nostalgia for me these days. I still want to pick up some film cameras though...would like to keep around for those special times.

Nothing in the digital age quite comes close. There's instant gratification and a sort of flippancy to how we shoot most of the time. After all, it's not as though each shot costs in both time and money as it does with film. Each shot isn't so much careful consideration as, "hmm that looks nice." No longer does (except in rare instances with Leica's or etc) one manually set the aperture and on lens, a mechanical connection to the camera itself, figure out the exposure settings without the aid of fancy electronics and set a gritty focus. It was once a much more pure, artistic feeling.  There was just this deeper connection between man, machine, moment that seems conspicuously absent in this era of the ubiquitous DSLR. Perhaps I'm just waxing poetic because it represents a curious form of nostalgia for me (especially considering I am most certainly a child of the Digital age and film was long gone from the mainstream by my high school days), but film photography will always have a special place in my heart.

I agree with this to an extent, but it's all up to the photographer. I specifically made sure that when I bought my digital it would "feel" like a film camera. I shoot manual on mine maybe 75% of the time, the other 25% is usually when I'm being lazy I'll set it to ap prio. I use it most of the time like I did with film, and I agree there is less of a connection since I can just shoot multiple shots and see instantly, and of course this is both very gratifying and kind of sad, too. At the same time you aren't held back by any of the limitations of film. I think you're definitely romanticizing film a little; digitals are super powerful these days and it's all up to you to choose how to use em

Last edited:

snake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a few shots from my visit to Mexico last week

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In Washington last summer (I'd move there, WA, if I could find a job)

http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/754308/width/350/height/700[/IMG[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

[IMG]http://www.styleforum.net/content/type/61/id/754310/width/350/height/700

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
here's some i liked from a recent west coast trip with a nex-6. first chance i've had to put it through its paces a little. need a quicker lens but i like it a lot so far.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
A&A* silk strap

don't own one yet but the soft silk is far from uncomfortable (if you don't have a big dslr)

as do these street shooters

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads