• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the X-T2 and X100T (and soon to be X100F) all have the same wifi capabilities. No built in geotagging, just in the app. I like the dual card slots of the X-T2, but if you have it set up so RAW goes to slot 1 and JPEG to slot 2, you have to switch to view slot 2 before connecting to the app as the app only reads JPEG not RAW. A minor annoyance, but one I keep forgetting to do. The two button (trash can + push scroll wheel) card formatting is one of my favorite new features too. No more diving through menus to format a card.

This annoyed me for a while too, hopefully you'll be able to select which card gets jpeg in an update. For now I just shoot jpeg+raw to the same card.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great photos - what do you think of the camera?

For film: a 70s SLR (Canon AE-1, Olympus OM1, Nikon Fsomething) can be had pretty cheap, grab a few batteries so the light meter works, and go for it. Cheapest way to start :).

If you want to start on Medium Format then you gotta choose what size negative you want first.

shootspeed

Reaction score

Great photos - what do you think of the camera?

For film: a 70s SLR (Canon AE-1, Olympus OM1, Nikon Fsomething) can be had pretty cheap, grab a few batteries so the light meter works, and go for it. Cheapest way to start :).

If you want to start on Medium Format then you gotta choose what size negative you want first.

thanks dude, the camera is pretty good for travel and even for some professional work, maybe just not for really tight cropping and super large scale print. the lenses are pretty top notch, especially the leica designed lens.

i actually have an oly OM-10 (my parents) that i've used in high school (dark rooms are pretty fun), but i'd like to try something a little different.

i was doing a little bit of research on medium format, but there's so many options there, have any preferences? i'm thinking about going with whatever negative size is the most common.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks dude, the camera is pretty good for travel and even for some professional work, maybe just not for really tight cropping and super large scale print. the lenses are pretty top notch, especially the leica designed lens.

i actually have an oly OM-10 (my parents) that i've used in high school (dark rooms are pretty fun), but i'd like to try something a little different.

i was doing a little bit of research on medium format, but there's so many options there, have any preferences? i'm thinking about going with whatever negative size is the most common.

So with MF there are basically 4 formats - expressed in the cm size of the negatives
6x4.5 (like 35mm on steroids - rectangular)
6x6 (square)
6x7 (a classic - slighty stretchy)
6x9 (like 35mm gone IMAX)

Of these 6x4.5 and 6x6 are probably the most plentiful and easiest to acquire. 6x9, in particular, has relatively fewer cameras made, and they are large.

Personally I like 6x4.5 and 6x6. Medium Format is undergoing a lot of a resurgence because it works quite well with a film-digital scan process (a lot better than 35mm).

I'd go with a Bronica MF (GS series should be fine) - in either of those formats. They are really cheap, very good quality and really nice. Probably the best deal in MF at the moment. They essentially just made nice big SLRs that shoot 6x6 or 6x4.5. The thing you need to be careful of is getting one with a light meter. Personally I really like square format, but some people find it too tetris.

shootspeed

Reaction score
thanks for the info, i'm now looking at the Bronica ETRSi and Mamiya 645 Pro-TL, just gotta wait for a good deal.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's great, they are a great camera.

I'm going to probably buy a Pentax 67 in a few weeks, which will be huge and great.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, a friend of mine and I started a website where we interview cool photographers about topics they are interested in but haven't been asked about before.

Our first one is with photographer Missy Prince and it's on her love of gardening. Check it here: http://thisonthat.org/missyprince/

Can follow along on instagram (@this_on_that) if you enjoy it.

Shamelessly tagging @g transistor @Shah and @thatoneguy think you guys in particular will enjoy :)

thatoneguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, a friend of mine and I started a website where we interview cool photographers about topics they are interested in but haven't been asked about before.

Our first one is with photographer Missy Prince and it's on her love of gardening. Check it here: http://thisonthat.org/missyprince/

Can follow along on instagram (@this_on_that) if you enjoy it.

Shamelessly tagging @g transistor
  @Shah
and @thatoneguy
think you guys in particular will enjoy :)

Good stuff Matt, nice and simple!

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love it, man. Pretty great, because I'm the opposite type of gardener: don't care one bit about ornamentals in my personal growing spaces.

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place to ask...

I want to buy a photo book for a friend as a housewarming gift. She will be moving into her new flat in Paris in march and I'd like to buy her something she might like and that she doesn't already have. The big thing... she's a photographer. She's very intelligent and knows her stuff so it's a bit daunting. But she loves books and she doesn't have many. Any must haves? I know that one of her favorites is "les americains" by Robert Franck but I can't afford to spend over €2000 on a first edition of that at the moment.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know if this is the right place to ask...

I want to buy a photo book for a friend as a housewarming gift. She will be moving into her new flat in Paris in march and I'd like to buy her something she might like and that she doesn't already have. The big thing... she's a photographer. She's very intelligent and knows her stuff so it's a bit daunting. But she loves books and she doesn't have many. Any must haves? I know that one of her favorites is "les americains" by Robert Franck but I can't afford to spend over €2000 on a first edition of that at the moment.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

So if she likes Franck's "The Americans" I'm guessing she is drawn to B&W street photography, instead of something like portraiture or landscapes. You didn't specify a budget, so none of these are first editions or anything, but all are good in that style. I made sure to include a couple by women too.

Fan Ho - The Living Theatre
http://modernbook.com/store/thelivingtheatre2ndedition.html

Diane Arbus - Monograph
http://aperture.org/shop/diane-arbus-an-aperture-monograph-book/

Vivian Maier - A Photographer Found
https://smile.amazon.com/Vivian-Maier-Photographer-John-Maloof/dp/0062305530/

Walker Evans - American Photographs
https://smile.amazon.com/Walker-Evans-Photographs-Seventy-Fifth-Anniversary/dp/087070835X/

Elliot Erwitt - Personal Best
https://smile.amazon.com/Personal-Best-Elliott-Erwitt/dp/3832798919/

If there is a different style or you want something collectible, just let us know and I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Browse photobookstore.co.uk and pick something you like from there :)

...or give her a copy of Minutes to Midnight by Trent Parke

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations.

I prefer not to buy from amazon so photobookstore.co.uk looks like a good option. I've already spotted a few good ones on there. Are their prices fair? Or are they more inflated "ebay collector" type prices?

Minutes to Midnight looks great, but she has an irrational fear of moths and butterflies so that first page in it may be too much, haha.

She's a portrait photographer so she loves portraits. She loves photos of kids and cats. She's a super strict vegan too, so that effects every aspect of her life and definitely influences the types of images she likes.

Last edited:

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't have that many portraiture books, but I have Steve McCurry's The Iconic Photographs and Gregory Heisler's 50 Portraits and both are pretty great. McCurry isn't strictly portraiture of course, but he's so amazing at it. You'll know him as the National Geographic photographer who took the "Afghan girl" photograph.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations.

I prefer not to buy from amazon so photobookstore.co.uk looks like a good option. I've already spotted a few good ones on there. Are their prices fair? Or are they more inflated "ebay collector" type prices?

Minutes to Midnight looks great, but she has an irrational fear of moths and butterflies so that first page in it may be too much, haha.

She's a portrait photographer so she loves portraits. She loves photos of kids and cats. She's a super strict vegan too, so that effects every aspect of her life and definitely influences the types of images she likes.

The prices are definitely fair, especially on new books. There are some rare books on there which are very expensive, but they should be easy to spot based on price tag.

If she likes pictures of kids there are books I can recommend but I don't think any are in print right now (Sally Mann's family pictures, Carry me Ohio by Matt Eich come to mind). Veganism I'm a bit less sure of.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads