1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Mar 31, 2013.

1. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

This annoyed me for a while too, hopefully you'll be able to select which card gets jpeg in an update. For now I just shoot jpeg+raw to the same card.

2. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Great photos - what do you think of the camera?

For film: a 70s SLR (Canon AE-1, Olympus OM1, Nikon Fsomething) can be had pretty cheap, grab a few batteries so the light meter works, and go for it. Cheapest way to start :).

If you want to start on Medium Format then you gotta choose what size negative you want first.

3. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

thanks dude, the camera is pretty good for travel and even for some professional work, maybe just not for really tight cropping and super large scale print. the lenses are pretty top notch, especially the leica designed lens.

i actually have an oly OM-10 (my parents) that i've used in high school (dark rooms are pretty fun), but i'd like to try something a little different.

i was doing a little bit of research on medium format, but there's so many options there, have any preferences? i'm thinking about going with whatever negative size is the most common.

4. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

So with MF there are basically 4 formats - expressed in the cm size of the negatives
    6x4.5 (like 35mm on steroids - rectangular)
    6x6 (square)
    6x7 (a classic - slighty stretchy)
    6x9 (like 35mm gone IMAX)

Of these 6x4.5 and 6x6 are probably the most plentiful and easiest to acquire. 6x9, in particular, has relatively fewer cameras made, and they are large.

Personally I like 6x4.5 and 6x6. Medium Format is undergoing a lot of a resurgence because it works quite well with a film-digital scan process (a lot better than 35mm).

I'd go with a Bronica MF (GS series should be fine) - in either of those formats. They are really cheap, very good quality and really nice. Probably the best deal in MF at the moment. They essentially just made nice big SLRs that shoot 6x6 or 6x4.5. The thing you need to be careful of is getting one with a light meter. Personally I really like square format, but some people find it too tetris.

2 people like this.
  5. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

thanks for the info, i'm now looking at the Bronica ETRSi and Mamiya 645 Pro-TL, just gotta wait for a good deal.

6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

That's great, they are a great camera.

I'm going to probably buy a Pentax 67 in a few weeks, which will be huge and great.

7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Hey guys, a friend of mine and I started a website where we interview cool photographers about topics they are interested in but haven't been asked about before.

Our first one is with photographer Missy Prince and it's on her love of gardening. Check it here: http://thisonthat.org/missyprince/

Can follow along on instagram (@this_on_that) if you enjoy it.

Shamelessly tagging @g transistor @Shah and @thatoneguy think you guys in particular will enjoy :)

5 people like this.
  8. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

Good stuff Matt, nice and simple!

1 person likes this.
  9. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Love it, man. Pretty great, because I'm the opposite type of gardener: don't care one bit about ornamentals in my personal growing spaces.

1 person likes this.
  10. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

I don't know if this is the right place to ask...

I want to buy a photo book for a friend as a housewarming gift. She will be moving into her new flat in Paris in march and I'd like to buy her something she might like and that she doesn't already have. The big thing... she's a photographer. She's very intelligent and knows her stuff so it's a bit daunting. But she loves books and she doesn't have many. Any must haves? I know that one of her favorites is "les americains" by Robert Franck but I can't afford to spend over €2000 on a first edition of that at the moment.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  11. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

So if she likes Franck's "The Americans" I'm guessing she is drawn to B&W street photography, instead of something like portraiture or landscapes. You didn't specify a budget, so none of these are first editions or anything, but all are good in that style. I made sure to include a couple by women too.

Fan Ho - The Living Theatre
    http://modernbook.com/store/thelivingtheatre2ndedition.html

Diane Arbus - Monograph
    http://aperture.org/shop/diane-arbus-an-aperture-monograph-book/

Vivian Maier - A Photographer Found
    https://smile.amazon.com/Vivian-Maier-Photographer-John-Maloof/dp/0062305530/

Walker Evans - American Photographs
    https://smile.amazon.com/Walker-Evans-Photographs-Seventy-Fifth-Anniversary/dp/087070835X/

Elliot Erwitt - Personal Best
    https://smile.amazon.com/Personal-Best-Elliott-Erwitt/dp/3832798919/

If there is a different style or you want something collectible, just let us know and I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

12. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Browse photobookstore.co.uk and pick something you like from there :)

...or give her a copy of Minutes to Midnight by Trent Parke

13. ClambakeSkate

Thanks for the recommendations.

I prefer not to buy from amazon so photobookstore.co.uk looks like a good option. I've already spotted a few good ones on there. Are their prices fair? Or are they more inflated "ebay collector" type prices?

Minutes to Midnight looks great, but she has an irrational fear of moths and butterflies so that first page in it may be too much, haha.

She's a portrait photographer so she loves portraits. She loves photos of kids and cats. She's a super strict vegan too, so that effects every aspect of her life and definitely influences the types of images she likes.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  14. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

I don't have that many portraiture books, but I have Steve McCurry's The Iconic Photographs and Gregory Heisler's 50 Portraits and both are pretty great. McCurry isn't strictly portraiture of course, but he's so amazing at it. You'll know him as the National Geographic photographer who took the "Afghan girl" photograph.

15. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

The prices are definitely fair, especially on new books. There are some rare books on there which are very expensive, but they should be easy to spot based on price tag.

If she likes pictures of kids there are books I can recommend but I don't think any are in print right now (Sally Mann's family pictures, Carry me Ohio by Matt Eich come to mind). Veganism I'm a bit less sure of.

16. ClambakeSkate

I ordered Silent Histories because it is quite similar to a project she is working on... She is archiving all of her japanese aunt's photos (she's half french and half japanese) and also working on a project about her uncle who had ties to yakuza who mysteriously disappeared several years back... I just hope she doesn't already have it. If she does, it looks like a beautiful book so I'm quite happy to keep it.

Thanks again!

17. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

That is a really, really good book and a great choice !

1 person likes this.
  18. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I was reminded of the existence of Edward Sheriff Curtis - a photographer who spent a long time taking photos of Native American tribal life which, at the time, he saw as disappearing (and it seems he was right).

I love these photos, but they make me feel quite saddened too. My mother grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and it's remarkable how much has changed, and in some ways that's for the worse.

I really think everyone should have a read of this article: https://www.lightstalking.com/edward-sheriff-curtis/

Here are some taster images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Fantastic loaded to the hilt with varying cultural and mythological signifiers. Love it.

1 person likes this.
  20. ClambakeSkate

UPDATE: The book was a hit. Thanks again to all that offered help and suggestions.