1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***SW&D Photography Thread***

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by g transistor, Mar 31, 2013.

1. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

2. AKang

AKang Senior member

[​IMG]

Fuji x100

1 person likes this.
  3. Dorje

Dorje Senior member

Sony NEX is awesome, I got a Nex5 when it first came out.

I have a few old Canon manual focus lenses (24/2.8, 50/1.4, 90/1.8) that work great on the nex with an adapter, though rangefinder lenses would be even better if you have the cash or have them lying around. A Nex with a good lens is capable of pro level results imo, and a few good primes with manual focus and aperature is a good way to learn a lot about how to take pics.

It is nice to have the option to use old lenses you can pick up for pennies on the dollar or use the compact native zoom/16mm prime depending on your needs at the time. I often go mt biking with the Nex/16mm prime, that combo is only slightly larger than many p&s cameras.

-------------------------

Colorado Trail

[​IMG]

Porcinis

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    6 people like this.
  4. slstr

slstr Senior member

Gtrans and Rublev's shots are great.

A few of my photos:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would be cool to know if anyone was trying out more experimental photographic techniques too. A chemigram I made:
    [​IMG]

Roll of film soaked in red wine pre-developing:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    13 people like this.
  5. rublev

rublev Senior member

Those pre-soaked in red wine look great. Dreamy. I think i remember reading about people soaking their film but I've never done it. I used to cross process (slide film processed in C-41 chemicals) with my Vivitar ultra wide and slim (fantastic point and shoot camera that is about £7..., or was when i bought it). Depending on what lab i took it to i got some pretty interesting results. I've not done it for a while now though. edit - just went through my i photo with even more x-pro and it really does matter which lab does it. Some of the stuff i have from Jessops looks awful.

(here are two of mine)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

slstr - love the roses and the waterfall - great composition, elegant colouring!

I like taking photos of street art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

I posted awhile back at wanting to be able to take some decent close ups of plants.

I think I took one that, while a bit boring, flat and obvious, actually highlights some of the detail I wanted it to!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. scoobydrew

scoobydrew Well-Known Member

Just returned from Seattle last weekend. It was raining the entire time we were there, but here's an obligatory Space Needle shot (reflection off the wet sidewalk).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
    3 people like this.
  9. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

some photos i took with my sister's toy camera 2 years ago in ny for her wedding. i love how film makes you choose your shots more carefully.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  10. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

I read somewhere recently an aphorism on film that, with digital, you're always looking at your last shot; with film, you're always looking at your next shot.

Of course you can always just turn the LCD off.

1 person likes this.
  11. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Is there anything more annoying than having your eye to the viewfinder, taking a photo and then the LCD screen blares online and blinds you. Not a problem with newer digital cams, but a massive PITA in old ones.

Anyone have any experience shooting an IR modified camera? Kind of want to play around with a IR modified DSLR without needing to worry about filters in front of the lens.

12. basil rathbone

basil rathbone Senior member

I converted my old D70 to IR a couple years ago. Opened it up and took out the hotmirror filter and replaced it with an IR filter. It was really cool to play around with for a while, but the novelty wore off fairly quick. I mostly did it so I could sell my D70 for $500 instead of like $250 or something.

Here's a shot I took with it. Looks cool in b/w too. Very ethereal. Cloudy days aren't as good as clear with IR, but anyways:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
    6 people like this.
  13. shootspeed

shootspeed Senior member

definitely true. you can't go back and see how you can improve a shot on the spot with film vs digital. once it's shot, you just gotta move on to the next. i think it also helps that each shot actually has a cost to it and you have to wait until you get into a dark room/get it developed to see the results. i think it makes shooting on film all the more exciting.

14. leeba

leeba Senior member

In the process of selling jawnz for a used DLSR, D50 body still a solid choice for around 150? I can get a D70 or D100 body for a bit cheaper, or a D40 for like $40-50 more or a D80 for closer to $100 more. Just getting started, did a little research but still sorta lost.

What lens/kit/etc should I aim for too haha

15. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

Anyone got the sony nex-6?

16. artishard116

artishard116 Senior member

yep. happy with it so far, could use more lenses though.

17. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

D50's still a solid choice. As is the D70. I'd go for either of those two, but going for the D80 would be worth it. It supports SDHC which the other two don't, and is just a bit newer so the sensor will handle low light conditions better.

I'd get a cheap 50/1.8. The cameras you're looking at have an AF motor so you can get the cheaper D version of the lens, rather than the G. You can't really go wrong with the cheap 18-55 kit lens as well just to play around with focal lengths and to see what you like shooting at.

18. basil rathbone

D70 is old old old now. LIke 10 years which is ~1000 years in DSLR terms. I owned one and it was great at the time, but I'd get a D40 over that. If you want to save up a bit more, I think a used camera from '08ish wouldn't be a bad bet. D90 was my workhorse up until 6ish months ago when I upgraded to a d800 (huge jump).

You're definitely on the right path thinking about buying used though. Anything you end up getting will be fun to play with (incl D70). I'd look for package deals on craigslist with the body, kit lens, and a 50mm or something. It's really not that important what you get as long as you use it and understand its limitations.

19. iamacyborg

iamacyborg Senior member

Problem with the D40 and other newer entry level DSLR's is that they've not got an AF motor. So you have to buy more expensive lenses.

20. basil rathbone

Oh shit, yeah that's true.