• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
you probably shouldn't go for an interchangeable lens system

best advice i ever got was starting with film, learning all i could about what different terms meant in terms of translating into a photo, etc etc., hopefully my pics don't suck too much and reflect something i picked up along the way (metering became instinctive at some point, along with understanding what focal length i wanted in composing a shot blah blah blah)

otherwise anyone can pick up a 3 billion gigapixel dslr and shoot omg super closeup bokeh and make a decent-looking digital pic
This. This is what makes me a sad, sad panda. So much visual noise and garbage. SO MUCH.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Film will test you, though. If you aren't really into photography you'll shoot a roll or two and then forget about it and it'll be relegated to novelty. I don't recommend starting straight off with film, even though that's what I did. There are very nice fixed lens cameras these days that you can use to test the waters, and if nothing else you'll have something around for vacations/family gatherings/whatevs. Fuji x10 or x100 come to mind and I know there are a few current and past users of that interface here.

Last edited:

basil rathbone

Reaction score
Every few weeks I go to this great monadnock (big isolated rockface) to just chill and hang out for a few hours. There is this old abandoned building, maybe what used to be a small jail from ye olden times that is a few miles in from the trail. Anyways, there are trees growing inside, and yesterday I caught a great spring bloom.

Last month

Yesterday​
Dude, these are really cool. Get one in the summer when the tree has turned green too. Have you considered a tighter crop? I think it would look better with the sign cropped out.
you probably shouldn't go for an interchangeable lens system

best advice i ever got was starting with film, learning all i could about what different terms meant in terms of translating into a photo, etc etc., hopefully my pics don't suck too much and reflect something i picked up along the way (metering became instinctive at some point, along with understanding what focal length i wanted in composing a shot blah blah blah)

otherwise anyone can pick up a 3 billion gigapixel dslr and shoot omg super closeup bokeh and make a decent-looking digital pic
Not necessarily bad advice, but I don't think I agree. Digital is great for learning because you can instantly see what you're doing. Changing this does that, changing that does this, etc. Digital is cheap/easy once you've invested the start-up money. Shoot as much as possible. I'd recommend film to someone plateauing or bored with digital. I know a guy who shot on M straight out of the box because he said "it made him better"... but if you missed the moment focusing and metering, well then what's the point? Composition and content are more important than settings, IMO. Get your eye honed and then start worrying about how to improve. I'd recommend a beginner get a five year old DSLR off of craigslist with a kit lens. If you love it, go from there.

Last edited:

basil rathbone

Reaction score
I'm actually a professional photog, but the stuff I shoot is pretty boring haha. Here's a really old shot off of my defunct flickr:

I'll share more recent stuff when I have the time. Probably mostly cell phone shots haha.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I plan to get one when it starts leafing out. The sign is a little too close to the window so a tighter crop makes it look off, too claustrophobic and not in a good way.

Kind of wish I shot one with the focus on the inside like I did with the first one...but oh well, I got an airy head

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's an old shot from Afro Punk festival about 6 six years ago. I shot it on a leica dlux

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea I plan to get one when it starts leafing out. The sign is a little too close to the window so a tighter crop makes it look off, too claustrophobic and not in a good way.

Kind of wish I shot one with the focus on the inside like I did with the first one...but oh well, I got an airy head
I was wondering how you're able to get the crisp, detailed shots you get.

I've tried quite a bit to get detailed imagines of flowers/plants but it almost always turns out to be a gigantic mess with no definition.

I know that's a suitably broad problem/question, but any tips?

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love Fuji Superia 1600 grain.

This one I shot 8 years back when I was studying photography at school, nothing beats black and white for showing off texture. Developed the film and manually printed the image myself, fun thing to learn.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of random shots I've got on my desktop at work.

Nikon D700 and an old manual micro-nikkor

Nikon D700 and a cheap 24-120 zoom

VirtruviusR

Reaction score
Dad always steals my thunder:

Unfortunately I have no digital copies of film stuff anymore.

Last edited:

rublev

Reaction score

I'm pretty low tech when it comes to taking photos. I'm not really interesting in accumulating lots of gear and really only use one or two cameras and any film i can find. I know a lot of people get pretty specific about the kind of film and i kind of understand that, but for me the most important thing is finding a good lab which agrees with you aesthetically (if that makes sense and doesn't make me sound like an asshole). It takes me ages to finish a film though (sometimes only 2 or 3 a year) 'cos i'm a sucker for the golden hour and become really picky. All the above were taken with an olympus trip 35. The trip is probably my favourite camera and for about £30 it's pretty incredible. It's definitely the one thing that has helped me find out what i like taking and how to take it. digital hasn't interested in a long long time... apart from taking crappy stuff on my phone.

iamacyborg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my Olympus Trip as well, took it to Thailand with me when I went there a few years ago. I've got to say though, I ******* hate the zone focus system, particularly on a rangefinder. Here are a few shots from that trip, I think I've got some colour ones somewhere too, but these were shot with Ilford Delta 100.

I've also got some Kodak HIE shots kicking around somewhere that I need to find, seriously need to get back into the IR game, so much fun, though digital is definitely the way to go there.

liddel

Reaction score
random stuff, i used to shoot film, and definitely miss the darkroom, but i have no time anymore.

g transistor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Random Botany Lesson​

These plants are diamorpha and are endemic to the SE United States and most abundant in GA. They have little bulbous succulent leaves and look like tiny red lollipops and only grow in shallow ephemeral pools on granite outcrops. They're all over and grow in the circular depressions of the rock where rain and wind has weathered the rock, so if you are standing on the mountain you can see patches of bright red among the grey/beige, splotches of bright red paint that has dripped and splattered everywhere. It's something else to see, and I'll be back soon to snap a picture of their flowers when they finally bloom en masse. I believe they're classified as endangered, and I imagine their specialized nature has something to do with that.​

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads